Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 51

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/51.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Aug 05, 12 at 1:11pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
id tone back on folding until you get the cooler. 83 is quite high, and you can never truly rely on the temperature readings.

also, oil submersion:

Author:   harbin
Date:   Aug 05, 12 at 1:15pm (PST)
Bloody hell is that safe to put it in oil? Is it yours? Whats the temps?

Where on earth are all those I/O ports?

Date:   Aug 05, 12 at 1:22pm (PST)
hah, no thats not mine. what you see is called mineral oil submersion. combining a unique cooling system with an equally unique look, you get the above. oil is not electrically conductive, so all your hardware, except the hard drive and optical disk drive, would be safe to submerge. because oil is thermally conductive as well, its pretty effective at cooling as well. however, the extent of its effectiveness will depend on how you cool the oil. for it to be effective, youll need to get the oil circulating, and youll need a radiator, or some other kind of oil cooler to properly get the temperatures down. of course, if you just leave the oil as it is, allowing the hot oil to rise, cool at the surface, then fall, you probably wont get anything more effective than a mid range air cooler.

also, you cant use vegetable oil, or something similar as a substitute, because it goes off after a while.

the only major drawback is the risk of breakage. imagine having to clean your entire room with degreaser if the tank breaks.

Date:   Aug 05, 12 at 1:28pm (PST)
Just searched, don't seem cheap TBH. Someone seems to have just bolted a boat load of fans to the side to keep it cool.

Seems cheaper and easier to set up a liquid cooling system.

quote hiigaran
the only major drawback is the risk of breakage. imagine having to clean your entire room with degreaser if the tank breaks.
Wouldn't imagine breakage being a major risk though... unless you accidently or purposely break it.

Date:   Aug 05, 12 at 1:35pm (PST)
true.

as for water cooling systems being cheaper and easier, definitely. doubt youre going to be able to get the same 'wow' effect with any other kind of cooling system currently in existence (perishable coolant doesnt not count).

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Aug 05, 12 at 2:10pm (PST)
if you get a good pump, i'm sure you can do it effectively. now, it depends on the pump. if it's a aquarium pump, a decent sized one for like 50G+ would be good. but, i wouldn't trust my new equipment on it. i'd probably use it on some end of life equipment.

i'll be cutting down on the new rig. those 80c+ reading are killing me. i'll just wait for the cooler. i just cleared out 3 WU like nothing though. god. i might just get that CM 212 Plus tomorrow. they have it at the local store.

Author:   Fatal Error
Date:   Aug 05, 12 at 11:19pm (PST)
Dee, if you have a socket 1156 or 1155 I have...two spare coolers, haha. I didn't realized that socket 1155 had the same mounting brackets as socket 1156 as far as coolers were concerned, so I removed my small liquid cooler and replaced it with a pretty good CoolerMaster fan. Same temps, but the fan is louder. Isn't worth the effort to replace again though.

Wait, you're a Euro, aren't you? Nevermind, shipping is ridiculous.

Date:   Aug 06, 12 at 5:56am (PST)
Fatal Error
I transferred my new rig into the case and took the AMD rig out. I also put my CM cooler on it. It has one blown fan but at full %100 load it's down to 59c. I'm going to get the second fan later today. So that should help me out. Ah yes. Oh, and the AMD with the stock cooler doesn't go over 44c @ %100 load. So that's good. I pretty much set. All I need to do now is just fix the room up. It's a *bleep*ing mess.

Time to start folding HARD!

I'm a American sir. Live in Florida.

Yeah, 1156 and 1155 are the same thing.

Date:   Aug 06, 12 at 9:06am (PST)
Which reminds me of the mods I want to make to my case. Does anyone know how to move a drive cage down? Or atleast make it flippable upside down? My idea requires having only one 5.25" accessible drive bay on the outside of the case, and moving the other two down a bit... or removing them completely and finding somewhere else to mount my SSD and adding a vent and making a mountable fan socket on the top.

Reluctant to though incase I make a right hash of it.

Since I've got Virtualbox installed, I wonder what how capable my PC would be to run Ubuntu Server as a Home Media Server, whilst intense gaming. I'd be able to set a specific number of cores the server can use... would be feasable if I had a hex, because I'd be able to set two for that, and leave four free for the host. I've enough RAM anyway.

Probably wouldn't need to be Ubuntu, could be a more lightweight version of Linux, along as everything can access it. Would mean messing about with file permissions and shares and whatnot... plus having the PC on 24/7 if I wanted it to be accessible whenever. Something I'd perhaps like to explore although I'd probably be better of building a cheap PC in an mITX case.

Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 5:21am (PST)
Ooops. Sorry about that.

Well, Ubuntu 12 and my 3570k go hand in hand. I love this setup. Now if they could only rush getting Steam games out for Linux, then I'll just slap on my HD 6850 on and start gaming. Now that I can't wait for.

Harbin, did you get that drivecage thing going?

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 7:56am (PST)
quote harbin91
Which reminds me of the mods I want to make to my case. Does anyone know how to move a drive cage down? Or atleast make it flippable upside down? My idea requires having only one 5.25" accessible drive bay on the outside of the case, and moving the other two down a bit... or removing them completely and finding somewhere else to mount my SSD and adding a vent and making a mountable fan socket on the top.
I assume it's riveted in place?

Carefully drill out the old rivets, then if you can rivet/bolt it back on lower down (May need to drill some holes, or you could get lucky and use the existing) or if that's not feasible then you may have to make a bracket out of some sheet metal to support it.

Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 8:50am (PST)
quote deeplove
Harbin, did you get that drivecage thing going?
Nah... I want to, but at the moment, can't find the tools... they're hidden all over my house

Plus I actually need to measure things out and work out exactly how its gonna happen. Don't want to make any mistakes on it, if I go ahead with it. Got a plan on on what I want to do, albeit not accurate. Plus I'll need to get some metal sheets for a vent cover on the top and some mesh for a vent added on the front.

Even then, not sure how much of a difference it'll make to cooling performance. It doesn't run hot now (in fact cooling wise, it's very much inside its safe operating parameters), I just like the idea that two seperate cooling systems will keep the PC cooler.

EDIT: Found it. Not the most to 'scale drawing' ever but it pretty much outlines what I want to do. In fact those measurements are probably useless, although I can fit a 120mm fan vent on the front of the case if I mod it properly. Would help if I had a white pencil that could draw onto the finish though, and come off when I want it to.

Be easier to show in 3D, but my design skills aren't that good. Grey rectangles are the cable holes that lead onto the back wall.

If I followed through with that idea, I'd probably go ahead and replace all the fans with higher CFM ones (or quieter with the same CFM) if possible.

Hoping to do some recabling next weekend when my 24pin ATX extension arrives. Mean's the cable will actually be able to reach around the back properly, and means I'll also be able to get some proper cable management done. Just need to make note of what SATA cable goes where and I'll be set.

Means that there will be space for the fan at the bottom blowing up towards the GPU. Requirement if I ever need to go for my case mod.

Hiigaran: For good cable management, is it best to connect the cables to the PSU first or the component? Of them all, the GPU is the trickiest, since the connectors aren't in an ideal place.

This message was edited on 2012-08-10T14:09:40-07:00.

Date:   Aug 10, 12 at 2:15pm (PST)
cant really say. its one of those case by case things that youll have to decide on when you see it, but i dont think theres that much of a difference between doing one or the other.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Aug 12, 12 at 2:35pm (PST)
quote harbin91

Just a few notes on this.

-------------------

I recently redid the setup on my Phantom, with flipped PSU, 1 flipped top fan (exhaust) and I increased the speed setting on the rear exhaust fan and I've lowered my system temp dramatically for the summer because there's an excess of heat. Also my GPU temps have dropped since doing the position swap.

During the winter I've run heavy positive pressure into the case and I've been fine due to the ambient temp being so low that it helps neutralize the heat.

If you're cabling, I usually mount the board first and do the power before running the rest of it.

Date:   Aug 12, 12 at 4:10pm (PST)
quote VeGiTAX2
Just a few notes on this.
  • PSU could also be flipped, use the intake which often gets minimal draw anyway from under the system unless you're using 1-2" lifts as an exhaust port instead. remove extra heat from the pocket around the GPU and get it out of your system faster. If you don't do this you really only have 1 actual exhaust port, meaning your actual output CFM will be disproportionate to extremes.
  • Fan on the bottom will offer some current issues with the intake over the HDD area, if you plan to do this make sure the CFM is higher than the front intake so you can control the current or it'll just be a flop.
  • Upper intake is always nice should provide a fresh current that doesn't mix witht he GPU pocket / zone
  • Rear exhaust is a must, it's your only real exhaust port outside of the PSU as the GPU will still leave residual heat if you don't do anything to help down there.
  • Top fan can be useful, depends on the user and configuration though. Right now you have a decent amount of positive pressure in the case but you might not be getting the heat out fast enough. Consider an upper exhaust port as well for options.

-------------------

I recently redid the setup on my Phantom, with flipped PSU, 1 flipped top fan (exhaust) and I increased the speed setting on the rear exhaust fan and I've lowered my system temp dramatically for the summer because there's an excess of heat. Also my GPU temps have dropped since doing the position swap.

During the winter I've run heavy positive pressure into the case and I've been fine due to the ambient temp being so low that it helps neutralize the heat.

If you're cabling, I usually mount the board first and do the power before running the rest of it.
1. Flipping the PSU would make cable management a bit easier for me, since the PCIe cables are currently towards the inside of the case, meaning they have to cross over. Makes it easier for access aswell. Thing is, I like the idea of my PSU having it's own air system. Either way, I doubt it would make too much of a difference in it's cooling performance.

2. The fan on the front where the cage was gonna be I planned on it being a high static pressure fan, with a higher CFM/airflow on the bottom but not sure how this would work out with the bottom intake.

3. That is the plan with that. Not sure how much of a gain I'd actually get with that though.

4. I assume you mean rear exhaust on the bottom since there's currently one on the top. If I did flip the PSU, would this be sufficient in terms of exhaust?

5. The problem with the upper vents is that with the current cooler, I use the NH-D14 which is very large in my case. Fits but tight, which means there is a difficult access issue there. There is an intake on the top but getting that out and changing them around will be difficult. The back one is currently unusable since the 8pin ATX cable goes through there and means it would catch a fan there, Since I am planning on replacing all the fans though, I do plan on trying to get as balanced an airflow on the fans as possible in the top, so the CFM on each fans are as close to each other as possible. If not, then a slight negative pressure system should do. Only problem with that is the three fans on that are PWM powered (or atleast the two on the heatsink are). Taking the cooler off would be fairly difficult (but possible), since I'd have to remove the fans from the cooler first, and the top clips that hold the fans on to the cooler itself is hard to reach aswell.

6. Re-cabling because at the moment is an entire mess down there. Plus if I plan on going ahead with it, re-cabling will need to be done to provide space for a fan on the bottom.

Unless I see anything better, then I will probably use these fans.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.