Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 5

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/5.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:38pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
well if it is submerged in a large vat of LN2, it should work as a massive reservoir, with the LN2 completely surrounding all hardware, cooling the CPU much better than standard surface contact, no?

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 8:26pm (PST)
In a perfect world that might be the case, from what I've read in the past these experiments usually result in stress cracks in the PCB itself due to thermal expansion differences. While the surface of the CPU may be able to sustain it, the physical boards could very well fracture once submerged.

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Sep 14, 11 at 10:30pm (PST)
I got a parcel from ncix today. Everything for my build except a cpu, ram & gpu .
The Evga gtx 580 is on backorder, and the cpu and ram stock is being transferred.

Waiting has gotta be the worst part of buying upgrades.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 11:33am (PST)
Upgrade plans are on hold for now, my exhaust just started spilling its guts everywhere

Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 12:07pm (PST)
whoah, how did your car manage that one? ahh, if you have access to a welder, it sounds like its easily fixed (or you might need those rubber mounts).

Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 12:51pm (PST)
Holes and dodgy hangers I don't mind - easily fixed, but there's loads of fiberglass coming out the back of it. At the garage now

Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 2:06pm (PST)
fibreglass? where on earth did that originate from in the first place?

Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 3:35pm (PST)
The baffles in the silencers are made from long pieces of fibreglass, but over time they can break up and loose their shape.

Sort of like this D8

Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 4:13pm (PST)
ahh those! yes, i remember now. i cut open one of those and found some kind of soft padding, but i didnt know it was fibreglass. i always associate fibreglass with the hard stuff.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 6:43pm (PST)
Starting to consider a cheapish semi-build now. New motherboard, processor, RAM and case... and depending on what comes with that PSU and fans.

Not set out fully yet, but plans on getting a Core 2 Quad; either the Q8300 or the Q8400. Is £16 worth the extra 0.16Ghz I'd get?

Not absolute sure on what I'd go for yet though, since I haven't got the money for it all yet.

Unrelated note, anyone know where you can buy cheap mBTX cases? Can't seem to find any... not worth getting an expensive one either... just want to see if it would be worth it to see if I can get anything for my current five-knocking-on-six year old comp.

Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 6:49pm (PST)
whats up with the BTX form factor nowadays? whats so good about it? all ive heard was something about it having a different orientation.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 6:53pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
whats up with the BTX form factor nowadays? whats so good about it? all ive heard was something about it having a different orientation.
It was meant to fix some issues with ATX such as increasing heat and power usage.. but it didn't catch on due to lower power consuming CPUs, and they've since just continued to try and improve ATX. The company who manufactured my PC used BTX motherboards, which would've been alright if they caught on, but it's just crap now.

Annoying since the only thing that really needs replacing on the current PC is the case, everything else works fine... I'd either see what I can get for it, or see if I could redeploy it as a media server.

This message was edited on 2011-09-16T12:04:22-07:00.

Author:   Supernova1332
Date:   Sep 16, 11 at 10:12pm (PST)
Any particular reason you're bothering with a dead socket build? There are newer faster cpu's for less money.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 17, 11 at 1:48am (PST)
quote Supernova1332
Any particular reason you're bothering with a dead socket build? There are newer faster cpu's for less money.
Curious to see the price sheet on that statement? Last I checked a Q8300 or 8400 is about $145-160 shipped in retail form. Even an i3/i5 or Phenom build would set them back more than that and because you'd be aiming bottom end it wouldn't be worth the shot, if you're going big you go for something with potential, not something that scrapes by.

Nothing wrong with working with what you have, I took forever to build a 9600 Phenom with parts as I had been picking up along the way, RMA got me a 9750 eventually but still it's nothing record breaking and I'm still happy with it.

Author:   Supernova1332
Date:   Sep 17, 11 at 2:00am (PST)
The pII 955
http://www.ebuyer.com/190673-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-socket-am3-3-2-ghz-6mb-hdz955fbgmbox
And
pII 965
http://www.ebuyer.com/186428-amd-phenom-ii-x4-965-black-edition-3-4ghz-socket-am3-6mb-l3-hdz965fbgmbox
are both cheaper, at least in the UK. Haven't checked newegg yet.
and are faster in damn near everything. Not a gigantic leap like a high end sandy bridge but a noticable difference in most intensive programs. Rather than getting a q8400 it's like getting a q9450-q9550.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.