Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 49

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/49.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jul 23, 12 at 1:21pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
VeGiTAX2 - i based my statement on the similarities to the problems harbin has had before, not just this one instance.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jul 23, 12 at 1:42pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
VeGiTAX2 - i based my statement on the similarities to the problems harbin has had before, not just this one instance.
TBH I've never actually had a PC component fail on me outright, other than the mobo which failed after three months, which was returned and replaced within a week. The only issues had was on the other PC when it overheated and the reason for that was the fan that kept the huge hunk-a-dunk metal heatsink cool, died and the fan on the GPU in that PC failed, meaning the card would overheat and give artifacts... that was temporarily managed by having the sidepanel off and having a fan blow at it.

BSoDs only occured in Civ 5 on my overclock... the game runs like a peach now I've gone back to defaults.

Plus I've had no actual indication that anything is gonna fail, especially since I've ran a torture test in Furmark, and several F@H runs on both CPU and GPU.

On the otherhand, I'm considering doing a reinstall of Windows sometime soon, because when I boot, typing causes my PC to lag out for a few minutes, although that's an issue with my Windows logon.

Date:   Jul 23, 12 at 1:49pm (PST)
well if it passed those, then ill just treat it as a one off, and leave it at that, then. your hard drives are fine as well, right?

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jul 23, 12 at 1:52pm (PST)
Yep... the data drive (my 1.5TB Seagate) has had 8 reallocated sectors and 1 spin retry but it's health is still listed as OK. I am hoping to replace that with a bigger 3TB drive when they come down in price abit more, since I've only got 43GB left on it. That will then be a backup drive for my programs and Windows and will probably be turned off for the most part of it's lifetime... only turned on to perform a backup, although there is nothing to alarm me about it yet. The SSD and my other HDD has no health issues (the 1TB F3 used for programs and games).

Did an error scan in HD Tune, and that's came back green on everything.

Probably just a one off, or it was so busy encoding Windows was waiting forever, and I just got impatient thinking it froze.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Jul 24, 12 at 1:59pm (PST)
Now that you mentioned HD Tune...what software can I use to check my current HDD? This HDD I installed Linux on has been tossed in the back of the closet for a while now.

Author:   Tonystew42
Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 8:17am (PST)
I've got a question, but I don't think it deserves its own thread. Your typical DSL cable will be 4 or 5 pronged, correct? My internet speed is well under half of what it should be, and I think I've narrowed the problem down to the fact that my DSL cable is only wired for 2 prongs (not sure what they're actually called, but the metal bits). I'm getting around a 1.5 Mb download, so is that as much as 2 of the prongs would be able to transfer? If not, then I've got no idea where to turn to next to bring the speed back up.

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 8:48am (PST)
thats an RJ11 cable...this:

its for telephone lines. its not the cable, but im assuming you get your internet via the phone line, with the cable going to a filter and DSL modem...yes? if so, how does the modem connect to your computer?

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 8:53am (PST)
Yeah, that's what we have. We have it set up so it goes from the wall into the modem and from there to our computers. Am I making a fool of myself right now?

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 8:58am (PST)
i meant how does the modem actually give internet to the computer? wired or wireless?

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 9:03am (PST)
One PC is wired, the other is wireless.

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 9:05am (PST)
and what cable does the wired one use. standard 8 pin ethernet connection? USB perhaps? either one should work normally. are both computers getting slow speed?

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 9:13am (PST)
Ethernet. They both score about the same on speedtest.net. They can be very sporadic though. The usual max is 180 KB/sec, but it'll randomly drop to 50-60 for a day, and I once saw my brother getting up to 300 in a Steam download, so there's potential speed that's missing.

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 9:21am (PST)
so what is the speed that youre supposed to be getting? that is, according to your contract with the ISP. im guessing 3 Mbps, considering you said you were only getting 1.5.

this brings up the likely idea that because you have two computers, your modem divides the bandwidth in half and gives 1.5 to each computer. as far as the modem would be concerned, 3 mbps can go through it, but because of how it splits up the available bandwidth, each computer only gets half. this is something that used to happen to me when i had my router. id have 30 mpbs, but my computer, and the laptop connected to it, would each get 15 mbps. if you disconnect one of the devices, you should get the full 3 mbps. if not, turn the modem off and on, then try again.

also, remember that just because you have 3 mbps, it doesnt mean you will always download at that speed. if you are downloading from a slow, or overloaded server, the speed limitation would be on the server itself, and youd get a bad loading time.

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 9:46am (PST)
I don't remember the exact specs, but on their site the absolute minimum I should be getting is 3Mb. Thing is though, I just unplugged the ethernet cable and restarted the modem as you said, yet I was still only getting 1.5Mb.

Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 9:48am (PST)
then im not sure, tbh. the internet can be so unpredictable when it doesnt work the way its supposed to work.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.