Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 46

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/46.htm

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jul 02, 12 at 3:05pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
Yeah it's fine. Hopefully it'll be fine on next boot aswell. Still not sure if the colours are exactly what they should be since I've nothing to compare it against but they seem fine enough for me to not mess about with it further.

Not worth spending more on an aftermarket cooler than the chip is worth TBH. Could you not just mod the case or something? Ventilation on most OEM cases are bad anyway since they're basic cases. My dads PC is an old case, and has a little CPU cooler pointing towards a vent with a plastic cover sat just over it.

My brothers is better though, same company but a new PC, his CPU cooler has one of them air funnels channelling the air out of the case.

Might start overclocking my PC again soon and seeing if I can keep it stable without it blue screening in games (well, just the one game actually), and the more games I play the more I'm considering getting a proper gaming mouse, the ones that have ten thousands buttons on the side and mapping them, just so I don't keep having to remember which key is what.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Jul 02, 12 at 3:13pm (PST)
I don't really have tools to cut metal. The front cover of the case gives me space for a 120mm if I cut the metal plate. Only thing, it sucks up air from a small opening in the bottom. The side panel I'm able to put a 120mm but it has small holes. I mean, maybe that would help. But other than that it really doesn't have much opening where I could get a decent amount of air flow. Let me try the 120mm on the side to see what happens.

Brb.
Edit :

I added the 120mm on the side and the temps hover around 48c-49c. Never over 50c. My question here is on Speedfan it says Core 0 and Core 1. They're at 55c and 56c. So, CPU 48c Core 0 56c and Core 1 55c.

Edit:
I added a 2nd 120mm inside the case. Ghetto rigged but now the temp at full load is 46c-48c Core 0 55c and Core 1 54c. So that brought it down a bit. There is a panel that comes off the front and it has small openings. I put a 80mm on that so it's taking in some air now.

Date:   Jul 04, 12 at 8:17pm (PST)
Well, I'm having a great time trying to get Ubuntu to work on this dang PC. But I will prevail. I'm getting help from the Ubuntu forums also. I guess I have them scratching their heads. Lol.

Date:   Jul 04, 12 at 11:29pm (PST)
What's the issue with it? I installed it once to try it out but it overwrote my boot configuration and couldn't get on with GRUB (not that used to it TBH). I do have it installed in Windows as a virtual PC.

Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 5:39am (PST)
it's installed on my 2nd HDD but it's not booting the OS. it will go to that splash screen where you can select the OS for Ubuntu and Windows 7 but nothing. It hangs on a black screen giving me a "couldn't wait" error. I did notice that when I reset my PC now, the PC goes into that Grub selection thing and not Windows 7 any longer.

:\

I'm getting help from Ubuntu forums now but I'm not understanding what they're asking me. Plus I'm so scared to use the Ubuntu Pastebin. I feel like they're going to hack my shit if I give them the info on that Pastebin.

Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 9:36am (PST)
Still struggling on with XP? Microsoft will let you upgrade any version of Windows to new '8' operating system for $40 Shitty newspaper but interesting if it turned out to be true.

Basically £25 for Windows 8... screams of desperation from Microsoft TBH. I for one like Windows 7 and surely it wouldn't be hard for Microsoft to have built upon that instead. Still, providing that they provide the option of uninstalling the Metro UI and going back to the old Explorer style, I might be tempted to upgrade purely for compatibilities sake, not that Windows 7 support would be discontinued any time soon.

I like some of the features of Windows 8 such as the rolled out Ribbon bar (I actually prefer that over the old menu approach), but stilll, Microsoft is going to have to work harder to uproot me from this OS. Strangely enough though W7 has only had 1 service pack. In fact, it's still a young OS, and they could've just added support for Metro through a service pack and releasing a version of Windows 7 optimised for ARM CPUs.

The Metro UI is as alien to me as the Mac interface is, and I can use a Mac one better than the Windows 8 preview I have installed.

Author:   Randome
Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 2:04pm (PST)
Think you can keep using Windows 7 for as long as you want and not have to get any newer and uglier system? Guess again! It's only a matter of time before the greedy assholes will invent some completely different way of programming things, specifically so that older and newer operating systems would not be compatible. That will cause all game companies (and others who make programs) to start making things that only work with the latest system, thereby forcing you to get a newer one. They won't even make internet browsers that could work with older systems. It's not that later operating systems would really be any better, it's just that they have to force people to buy all new products after every few years.

Date:   Jul 07, 12 at 9:56am (PST)
TBH the only reason for me to not upgrade is because of the Metro UI. If I had a tablet, it would make sense, but I don't and a mouse/keyboard approach is just a hassle. If they have the option to remove it and use the old explorer then great. Apparently they have done several performance upgrades to the kernal and the OS in general but people aren't going to adopt it just for that reason. From a business standpoint means retraining the entire staff from the ground up to use the new interface (whereas upgrading from XP to Windows 7 was relatively easy to get used to). And look at XP, outlasted Vista.

The interface may be clean but Microsoft seems to have gone on a new path of completely chucking desktops down the river and focussing on something else.

Pretty much the same applies to the Hyper-V and the cloud computing. May be great from a business approach but to me offers no feasability whatsoever.

Another optimisation I wouldn't mind is true SSD optimisation, so Windows doesn't automatically create a pagefile on the SSD and dump temporary files there. An option at installation where you can change the default directory of programs, user profiles, etc...

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Jul 07, 12 at 10:48am (PST)
quote harbin91
Another optimisation I wouldn't mind is true SSD optimisation, so Windows doesn't automatically create a pagefile on the SSD and dump temporary files there. An option at installation where you can change the default directory of programs, user profiles, etc...
You can actually set the page file options in Windows to avoid your SSD / Primary and use another drive intead, just take it off of auto and manually set things. It's been that way for a while though it's just not a basic setting. (system properties - advanced - performance - advanced)

Also the option to move your program files directory is a bit more hidden in Regedit, you'll find it in your local machine - microsoft - windows - currentversion folder specifically. You can also move common files if you wish.

Date:   Jul 07, 12 at 10:55am (PST)
quote VeGiTAX2
quote harbin91
You can actually set the page file options in Windows to avoid your SSD / Primary and use another drive intead, just take it off of auto and manually set things. It's been that way for a while though it's just not a basic setting. (system properties - advanced - performance - advanced)

Also the option to move your program files directory is a bit more hidden in Regedit, you'll find it in your local machine - microsoft - windows - currentversion folder specifically. You can also move common files if you wish.
I've done that with the page file. Can't do that with program files though. There is an option in the registry to change program files folders but when I did it, it ended up breaking quite alot of things. Alot of programs are quite adament that they need to be installed on C:\ such as the default programs installed when Windows is installed. When I changed the key and copied the directory over to the new location set, it ended up corrupting alot of them and in the end wasn't worth the hassle, which is why I suggested one on the Windows installation itself, so that when Windows is installed it can 'prepare' itself.

The only other way is to configure junction points (had to do that with one of the games because it kept making massive files in the user directories), alternatively when you install some programs you can change the directory during installation. However, I planned on just using the SSD for Windows, drivers and nothing else.

Date:   Jul 08, 12 at 10:45am (PST)
Only just gotten around to setting up a second monitor only to find out there is no power cable for it. Shame it's not a widescreen to match my main monitor either but it'll do.

Date:   Jul 08, 12 at 11:07am (PST)

YES!!!

Don't ask me how I managed to get my Mobo to finally OC properly but I did it!!! WOO HOO!!!

*happy dance*

I know it's not much, but I did it without that crap software I have. I managed to get my 555BE up to 4.0MHz on 1.45v and max temps were 42c. Something I couldn't do before. All I was able to do was 3.7MHz just off the core multiplier. But I figured out how to get to the other options with some help. And POW!!!

I guess I'll just enjoy it for a bit. Hiigaran, thanks for your help man. You've been real patient with me. Actually, I think extremely since I bother you a lot.

I know I still have to run Prime and shit, but at least I'm making some baby steps.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jul 08, 12 at 11:53am (PST)
your burntest FLOPS vary wildly...are you doing anything else while it is stressing? because you should leave it alone while it is doing its thing.

also...negative time? wtf?

also, prime doesnt stress as much as burntest. actually, i havent seen anything that would stress more than folding@home, actually. CPU usage is a constant 100% with F@H, while usage with stress programs varies wildly.

speaking of which, keep an eye on folding@home...you might get EUEs

Date:   Jul 08, 12 at 12:02pm (PST)
I just left it alone while doing the burn test. only thing i had open was speedfan. What do the negative flops mean?

EUE. If I do get, where do I find them? Will F@H stop and give me a warning message?

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jul 08, 12 at 12:47pm (PST)
strange. i dont know why it would vary that much. there would be a normal variation under stable circumstances, and there would also be an expected variation from borderline instability...see what happens the next time you bump up the speed. btw, i meant negative time, not FLOPS. the time taken to do a few of the passes have a minus before them.

you will have to look at your logs for any EUEs. if you notice you got a new work unit a little too quickly, it might be because of an EUE.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.