Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 41

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/41.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 8:05am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
but the amp on the system is about 110-150w higher than the new speakers are capable of taking
...umm...if the amp is pumping out too much power, just lower the volume. if its still high, stick a reistor in series with all output wires.

if its a car amp, it should also have an adjustible output amplitude.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 8:22am (PST)
And yet if I wanted a lower power output I could use any of the units I have available though. Whole point is having the raw power available to the sub, I don't plan on nerfing it because I don't feel like investing in something that isn't broken / blown right now. Found a picture of a set actually. The enclosure is about the same size as my P193 side by side.

Not knocking my current setup, just saying that over 10 years I've gotten a bit bored and experimented with other model speakers but in the end Power > Newness so I'm still with the same setup. For the Z5500 though it's another story as he was talking about tossing it entirely and the guide will actually allow him to replace it with a consumer sub without so much specialty work.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 10:19am (PST)
Damn. Funny thing is I just got rid of a dual voice coil kicker sub I had.

Now I know. Thanks for that link.

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 10:32am (PST)
And yet if I wanted a lower power output I could use any of the units I have available though. Whole point is having the raw power available to the sub, I don't plan on nerfing it because I don't feel like investing in something that isn't broken / blown right now. Found a picture of a set actually. The enclosure is about the same size as my P193 side by side.
forgive me if this sounds stupid, but im coming down from a massive caffeine high, and im about to pass out on the keyboard, but are you just saying that you want a sub that can handle the higher power output? if so, just grab something from ebay. theres are 10 inch subs for 10 bucks, excluding shipping (shouldnt be too costly if you are in america). they only have a maximum sustained power limit of 60 watts, but if you hook up three or four to the same output (unless you want stereo/surround subs), it wont matter.

Power > Newness
damn *bleep*ing right. my sound system is the SU-CH80. it is at least 17 years old. still has amazing sound. frequency range may have diminished a bit, but its hardly noticeable. honestly, ill probably stick with this unit until it dies, because quite frankly, none of the sound systems i see being sold these days look appealing. of the few that do look appealing, the price just isnt justified.

i think ill build my next sound system. how hard could it be? six speakers...a pair of subs, mids, and tweeters in to two tower housings...grab some wood, measure it out, nail the rear together, glue the front together, sand the front for curved edges, then spray paint it black...not sure if i want to do porting for the sub or not. both have their advantages and disadvantages. but anyway, thats the easy part. building the amp will be harder, and most likely, when my system dies, the speakers will likely still be fine. meh, either ill look up some schematics and parts lists for amps, or ill just grab a car amp from ebay. i dont suppose computer sound cards have amps in them, do they? that should put my 1000 watt PSU to good use!

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 10:52am (PST)
hiigaran I think you've missed the entire point haha. My system is fine, my home theater system is fine. I run 213w rms in my office area and 650w rms in the home theater area. I'm talking about running a system with 10 year old 6.5" speakers and that it's plausible they could fade or give out one day and so my plan is to replace them with something of proper quality when the time comes as the amp is fine in the system. It's just a case of matching the right frequency response up and the right wattage because most 6.5's are mid-range and tend to float at the higher frequency levels. I was testing subs I had from other systems because I've reviewed a ton of speaker sets over the years but at one point the industry changed from power to cost effective to less speakers to I don't even know what they're at anymore for PC stuff.

No worries man, if I need to build a replacement system from scratch one day I do have my list of components already selected to do that job for the space. Until then I'll keep enjoying these until such a day comes where I have to retire them entirely because as you noted, the systems out there are really awful and generally force you to just build your own setup. Btw when did 2.1 become a thing for PC speakers again? So sad.

Unfortunately sound cards aren't setup like they once were for output, old Sound Blaster cards actually had a dial wheel on the back to scale your volume, horrible idea of course because you were always reaching around the system if you didn't have volume controls on your speakers haha.

DIY speakers aren't bad, I'd suggest investing in home theater designed speakers so you're not fiddling with conversions and such an go with a proper amp if you want full surround and decoding though. Otherwise you'll battle this guide trying to convert everything to the right OHM level or risk shorting the whole setup out.

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 11:06am (PST)
ahh, but wheres the fun in buying it complete? thats one of the great things about building it yourself, and im quite sure that building your own amp would be much cheaper than a proper unit. if i had it my way, id build it right in to my computer, complete with its own cooling system

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 11:29am (PST)
To each their own on that one, not sure I'd want to invest the time trying to create proper optical inputs, dts / dd decoding and making it hdcp compliant as well. I've built many audio rigs from scratch in the past but it's nice to be able to pair components up for a rich system. I'd never do one of those home theater in a box setups though, My favorite is still my dual 8" bookshelf speakers I made from Vans shoe boxes, even had a control pod for the volume, bass and treble for it. Eventually I got the ACS48 system and the actual clarity of mid-range and highs over muddled sound won me over. Too bad like 17 years later they're pretty much warped and incapable of standing on their own anymore

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 11:37am (PST)
definitely to each his own.

however, i havent really noticed any difference between electrical and optical signal transmission. perhaps it makes a difference when the signal cable is longer, but for me, it makes no difference that i can notice.

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 12:51pm (PST)
It should if you're decoding multi-channel audio to the speakers from a commercial source. If you're doing stereo it wouldn't make as much of an impact though just as it wouldn't be that huge for low frequency if you have regular inputs setup. Might be a different story if you rig up something from a pc to handle each dedicated channel though. I'm actually re-purposing my old Nvidia board and Phenom 9750 for a slim HTPC addition to my setup over there. That might take a while though because I want it to match in with the existing structure and I have a lot of other projects still in the works. :/

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 1:11pm (PST)
well i cant stand higher pitched sounds in music and such, so i guess im not missing out on much, and surround sound, as i have found out, is rather overrated, and sometimes an inconvenience.

regarding the music thing, i do still enjoy stringed instruments, as long as there arent too many high notes.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 2:23pm (PST)
I'm a warm neutral kind of guy myself. I hate harsh highs. Plus I'm not into surround sound. I'm a stereo guy. Only surround sound I get is when playing games on my headphones.

Date:   Jun 20, 12 at 2:33pm (PST)
dubstep sucks. i dont understand what people see in that genre. i mean, i love bass as much as the next person, but i dont want to listen to bass for the sake of bass, seasoned with wub and a dash of electronic.

Date:   Jun 21, 12 at 5:33am (PST)
okay, i need help from a linux master...i need to run IRC, teamspeak, and firefox at the same time...cant do it without horrendous lag. likely, the CPU. cant overclock it more, though. is there anything i can do to help reduce the lag?

Date:   Jun 21, 12 at 10:09am (PST)
not a linux master but how much memory is firefox eating up? if you're talking about the 3000 it should be versatile enough to handle all 3 of those without lag though unless you're going into a pagefile of some sort even in windows. :/

Date:   Jun 21, 12 at 10:33am (PST)
currently its using 150 megs, but i have plenty of RAM capacity (the only good thing about this computer). originally, i had 2.5 gigs of RAM with three sticks in total, but then i decided to remove the 512 stick, and just have 2 gigs so i could use dual channel mode instead. also, theres absolutely nothing in the swapfile, which im assuming is just a different name for a page file (swapfile, pagefile, and virtual memory should all be the same thing, right?)

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.