Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 4

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/4.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 5:32am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
yeah i was gonna say. for americans, 10 standard 12v LED lights in series should work in the socket just fine, but its all about how they are wired up. i must have been thinking about my LED stips which basically have LEDs in parallel 12v

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 5:34am (PST)
I was planning on using something like that originally in the monitor but opted for the 5v series instead which still provides quite a bit of light. Good thing too, the ribbons from the controller card to the panel itself degraded and the whole thing died shortly after I put in the new backlight. If it was too hot I would have never been able to use it in my case.

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:11am (PST)
how did the ribbons manage to degrade?

also, i have a small strip of LEDs left over because i couldnt fit it all in...what can i do with a 10cm strip of 4 LED lights? i can hook a 9V battery and a switch up to it, but what should i use it for?

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:24am (PST)
panel was made in 2004, it was made with dual CCFL lights on top and bottom which heat up quite a bit. The cable itself was brittle at the joints so I'd imagine the years of heat wore it down until it just cracked from the micro solder points.

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 9:05am (PST)
huh, for some reason, even though i know you can use CCFL in monitors, it just didnt click with me. ahh, i guess im so used to LED now.

Author:   Supernova1332
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 5:18pm (PST)
Has anyone tried making a ram drive before? A hardware ssd via pci-e that you can actually put sticks of ram in I mean, not a software drive. Ram prices are supposed to plummet even further in Q4 and I've always wanted to try it but it was always pretty expensive per gb.

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 5:35pm (PST)
btw if you guys haven't seen it yet.

Author:   Randome
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 6:29pm (PST)
Why do those scumbags go through all that time money and effort and not do any benchmarks? Now we're all left to speculate on how much "better" that CPU really is. 3 times faster? 10 times? 1.2 times?

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 6:57pm (PST)
quote Supernova1332
Has anyone tried making a ram drive before? A hardware ssd via pci-e that you can actually put sticks of ram in I mean, not a software drive. Ram prices are supposed to plummet even further in Q4 and I've always wanted to try it but it was always pretty expensive per gb.
they sell hardware for that actually. i remember posting something a long time ago which was a PCI-e device that holds up to 4 sticks of RAM, and also had built in flash memory for backup purposes. it is also externally powered, because, as you know, RAM only keeps its data when its powered, so this way, it retains the data, even after the computer is turned off. of course, power outages are a problem, but thats why they have the flash memory backup.

EDIT: this is one of them, but it doesnt look like it comes with the flash memory...

Author:   Supernova1332
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:01pm (PST)
Scumbags? It's not like they slaughtered a baby at the side of the road...

That's not the point of it at all. Whatever it is they know they'll beat it with the next generation. Beating a world record frequency doesn't happen with every new generation.

My question is, why wouldn't they use the same insulation methods on those thermoses filled with liquid nitrogen as the pots? Wouldn't that help direct the cooling at the chip itself instead of letting it seep out through the metal? Of course there's always the opening at the top but they can't really do anything about that.

Edit: Just looked up a few and I wish that they made a Hyperdrive after #5 which only supports DDR2. Still fast as hell but 4gb DDR2 dimms are still at $50 lowest, as opposed to ddr3's $20.

This message was edited on 2011-09-13T12:19:21-07:00.

Author:   Player1
Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:16pm (PST)
Are you talking about the thermoses they use to poor the ln2 into the pots with? (I didn't watch the videos) They use a special ceramique and metal combination.

The insulation on the pots and motherboard is to prevent condensation from getting on the vital components.

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:20pm (PST)
is it at all possible to design some hardware specifically designed to handle submersion in LN2? or is LN2 conductive?

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:24pm (PST)
It is not conductive but Idk how you'd be able to afford all the LN2 lol

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:25pm (PST)
well when i meant specifically designed for LN2, i basically meant a company making a one of a kind hardware for an overclocking event.

Date:   Sep 13, 11 at 7:31pm (PST)
Oh then yeah I guess its possible, im not sure of how much more effective it will be over evaporaters though.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.