Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 37

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/37.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:01am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
quote deeplove
Is there a way to minimize the destruction? It looks like all hell broke loose in that house or where ever he's working at.
the guy knows his stuff, but what he doesnt know is how to make it look good. if i was able to do it, it would have looked better...and i wouldnt have used that water tank as a reservoir.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:09am (PST)
quote hiigaran
quote deeplove
Is there a way to minimize the destruction? It looks like all hell broke loose in that house or where ever he's working at.
the guy knows his stuff, but what he doesnt know is how to make it look good. if i was able to do it, it would have looked better...and i wouldnt have used that water tank as a reservoir.
Yeah, cause I swear it looks like a bomb dropped and he's out there surviving off of wrecked parts scattered around the waste lands.

LOL.

quote VeGiTAX2
Just a thought deeplove have you tried changing your CPU Overclock settings to manual? Generally selections like Auto force other settings into a fixed position instead of allowing you to manipulate them by hand.

VCore will need to get a boost as you creep toward 4GHz, generally from the Phenom II's I've worked with they get really greedy on power unless you're dealing with something like a 965/970/980 in which case it's close enough to make the leap without as much power invested.

Running my B93 / 925 at 4.0 with 1.45 right now anything less is my system laughing at the futile effort.
Yeah. I set it to manual and started off at 200MHz I believe. But even if I select that, the CPU over voltage can't be changed from AUTO.

Funny thing is that when I'm on Turbo V utility, I'm able to change all those settings. What could it be? Could it be chip or mobo?

This message was edited on 2012-06-18T10:21:39-07:00.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:20am (PST)
I did manage to get my system stable at 4.0Ghz on 1.45v... only problem is Civ 5 completely *bleep*s up and blue screens. 4.1Ghz and it only blue'd under load, 4.2Ghz and it blue'd instantly. I'm not really sure how far you can push the voltage in those chips before you start risking serious damage. I know a normal overclock without increase voltage will only nominally decrease the lifespan, but it's more likely to get replaced by an upgrade before it dies.

New topic, I wonder how fast this computer can fold. The IBM Sequoia, the world's fastest, has 1.5million CPUs and apparently performs at 16.25 petaflops.

Assuming that you can install Windows and the FAH client on that, and it can recognise and use 1.5m cores.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:24am (PST)
Wow. Energy efficient and 273,930 times faster.

Sucks that Civ 5 is giving you problems. Is it a good game? Never played the Civ franchise.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:38am (PST)
youre only getting 22 GFLOPS? that sounds unusually low. my 2500K got around 125 GFLOPS. okay, it was overclocked to 4.7 Ghz, and the architecture is better, but i dont think the 2500 would be that much faster. maybe ive got it wrong, but something seems fishy about those results.

Author:   Randome
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:45am (PST)
quote deeplove
Sucks that Civ 5 is giving you problems. Is it a good game? Never played the Civ franchise.
If you like strategy games, you should really like it. I got it a few days ago and my only complaint is that something went a little wrong with the money mod I got. The mod promises to provide several things, but I'm only interested in the 9'999'999 units of gold. Trouble is that I did get that gold, but the next day the game crashed each time I tried to reload a modified saved game. I'll have to restart and get a better mod, or something, but it seems great.

The first expansion pack ("gods and kings") comes out tomorrow, which adds religion and a few more nations and features. If you'll buy it, be sure to get the "game of the year" edition.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:54am (PST)
I might check it out.

Hiigaran, I'm trying it out again and it gives me around the same gflops. 22-23. Am I doing something wrong?

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:57am (PST)
like i said, i could be completely wrong about the performance of the cpu. see if anyone else here who owns a similar chip can try out this test as well.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 11:18am (PST)
Ok. I'll look around.

I don't know if I'm doing it correctly or if it's valid or not. But on the Asus Turbo V, I got the chip up to 3.8GHz x19 multiplier with 1.4v and the CPU frequency is at 202. DRAM 1.5v and CPU/NB is at 1.275.

That's off the software. Now I don't know how much of it's true, but I bumped it up to 3.9GHz and then it gave me the BSOD immediately after. Could the Turbo V be a valid way to OC without going into the BIOS?

sorry i'm posting up these pictures.

This message was edited on 2012-06-18T11:28:33-07:00.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 12:00pm (PST)
BIOS overclocking will always be better than software overclocking. i only ever use software overclocking when i cant use BIOS overclocking, or as a quick way of seeing whats stable, before entering the values in to the BIOS.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 12:11pm (PST)
I really wonder why I'm not able to adjust my BIOS settings. Asus customer service didn't help me much. Told me to reset the CMOS but that didn't do anything. I tried putting everything on manual but that didn't do anything. I'm stumped. Only changes I'm noticing is off the software. I guess the cool thing from the software is that it's not permanent and when I log off it all goes back to default. I honestly would like to know why I can't change the values on BIOS. It makes me wonder if I have faulty equipment.

Well, enough of me.

Can't wait till the contest starts. I want to see where I land with the group. Even having my PC on for most of the month, I've only went up to 64th.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 1:43pm (PST)
Finally got my first project completed on FAH.

Probably asked this before but what is the difference between the score and the work units on the contributions page?

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 1:46pm (PST)
quote harbin91
Probably asked this before but what is the difference between the score and the work units on the contributions page?
there are different types and sizes of work units. they are awarded different points. the larger, and more advanced ones are credited more than the smaller, simpler ones. while you can see how many units you have completed, it doesnt really say anything about your performance. its more of a curiosity thing.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 1:48pm (PST)
So the work units on that page are just how many units has been completed where the score is how many points the user has gained in total from those units?

Out of curiosity, do the dual-chip GPUs come up as seperate in FAH or as one combined GPU?

Anyone else know about this?

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 2:08pm (PST)
So the work units on that page are just how many units has been completed where the score is how many points the user has gained in total from those units?
yep

Out of curiosity, do the dual-chip GPUs come up as seperate in FAH or as one combined GPU?
you need one client per physical CPU/GPU. dual processor video cards need one client/slot dedicated to each of them.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.