Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 36

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/36.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jun 17, 12 at 3:25pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
im back on again, but i still havent figured out why i dont have sound (was like that the first time round as well). tried all six jacks, so its not the wrong output...not sure what im supposed to do.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jun 17, 12 at 5:09pm (PST)
Driver issue or output needs selecting (like in W7 where you have to manually select outputs)... I had a similar problem when I last used Ubuntu. Not really used to that OS though.

Date:   Jun 17, 12 at 5:21pm (PST)
yeah i got it to work now

Author:   Liege
Date:   Jun 17, 12 at 5:49pm (PST)
quote deeplove
Is Linux hard to use?
Not really, it's just different from anything else. People switching from Windows to Mac or Mac to Windows always have difficulties. Linux is no different in that regard. Many things seem more tedious to newcomers because most changes made to software or the system's configuration are done through a command line. Once somebody learns how to do these things, it's apparent that the terminal in Linux is infinitely more versatile than the command prompt in Windows, and a moderately experienced user can get more done in a command line than they could under Windows with the graphical interface in the same amount of time. It's just a matter of forming new habits.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 6:52am (PST)
Can you guys help me? I'm really not going to give up until I can figure out if my board can OC or not. I see lots of people OC'ing with this board and the same CPU. I'm going to post my bios screenshots and see what I need to be messing with. I've already disabled the power saving features.

Alright. I have the CPU at 3.7 which is running stable after the burn test. It's been running stable for the past couple of weeks. Now, when I bump it up to 3.8, that's when everything starts going to sh*t. 3.9 and 4.0 I get the BSOD. My question is, where would I go next? Which setting will I be working with?

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 7:11am (PST)
well thats your instability. youll need to raise the cpu voltage to continue overclocking. i suggest only raising it one step at a time, for safety. make sure you are within your safe temperature limits, though.

also, if you are trying to raise the speed with the base clock, your RAM speed will also be changing. if thats how you have been overclocking, you might want to raise the RAM voltage as well, or reduce the base clock to continue raising the cpu multiplier. alternatively, you can loosen the timings (ie, give it a higher value).

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 7:15am (PST)
Ok. On them pics, which one would be the cpu voltage? That's where I'm having issues. I guess understanding which options are the ones I need to be messing with.

Is it the CPU over voltage, CPU VDDA voltage or Chipset over voltage?

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 7:19am (PST)
it will be the CPU overvoltage setting.

these photos...are these your current settings now? how did you change your speeds?

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 7:24am (PST)
not current settings. these are the default settings. asus m4a785td-v evo. The Processor Frequency Multiplier is what I played around with.

Ok, and this is where I'm stumped. I can't change the CPU over voltage. It's fixed on auto. I'm 10 seconds away from kicking this sh*t off my balcony.

OH MY *bleep*ING GOD!!! FORGET ABOUT GETTING IN CONTACT WITH ASUS!!!!

This message was edited on 2012-06-18T08:04:08-07:00.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 8:10am (PST)

so nothing happens to the setting when you either press enter on it, or + or -? can you take a photo of your current settings?

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 8:17am (PST)
yeah. nothing happens when i hit the - or +

I'm on the phone right now with asus. a live person. woo hoo.

i'll post it up in a sec. i believe the only thing i changed was the multiplier which is at x18.5 3700 MHz

guy told me to clear the CMOS to reset the bios.

That's current. I didn't reset any CMOS or anything. Just like that.

He told me to use the Asus Turbo V to OC since I'm unable to use the BIOS to do it. Wouldn't that like defeat the purpose? I'm able to change the settings on the Turbo V but would it be the same? It's allowing me to change the CPU voltage on the Turbo V. So I am able to access that now but only on the Turbo V.

This message was edited on 2012-06-18T09:05:39-07:00.

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 9:05am (PST)
okay, what options do you have when you try to change the setting for the very first setting? the cpu overclocking one, that is.

in other news this is what i plan to do for my next computer project. not going to happen anytime soon, but when the time comes, ill be working on that, along with an exposed hardware, flat build, which is probably all wall mounted (maybe some kind of protective see through front...probably a good idea).

Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 9:15am (PST)
CPU overclock I'm able to change it from 200 and up. But when I do select that it still wont let me change the Over voltage. Running the burn test now with the Turbo V on. I raised the cpu voltage from there. *crosses fingers*

On your other news...*bleep* me sideways!!! That's crazy as *bleep*!!!

Is there a way to minimize the destruction? It looks like all hell broke loose in that house or where ever he's working at.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 9:45am (PST)
Just seen that link... seems more complicated than it needs to be.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 9:59am (PST)
Just a thought deeplove have you tried changing your CPU Overclock settings to manual? Generally selections like Auto force other settings into a fixed position instead of allowing you to manipulate them by hand.

VCore will need to get a boost as you creep toward 4GHz, generally from the Phenom II's I've worked with they get really greedy on power unless you're dealing with something like a 965/970/980 in which case it's close enough to make the leap without as much power invested.

Running my B93 / 925 at 4.0 with 1.45 right now anything less is my system laughing at the futile effort.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.