Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 26

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/26.htm

Author:   deeplove
Date:   May 27, 12 at 3:40pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
Wow. Those cases look like they get no ventilation at all. I'd rather go with Centurion cases. I've always liked those. But I' guess you're looking for a specific case due to those measurements you mentioned.

Date:   May 28, 12 at 7:38pm (PST)
Now this is nice.

Author:   harbin
Date:   May 29, 12 at 6:54am (PST)
Not bad, but I've yet to see a case that implements my (say mine, probably not the only one) idea of air cooling... two seperate air systems, one for the CPU (RAM and NB I suppose covered aswell) and one for the bottom half of the case (i.e. HDD, GPU, PSU). Planing on modifying my case like that. Just need do measurements, get materials and tools ready. Requires actually dropping the 5.25" drive cage, cutting several HDD bays off, cutting a hole in the metal case, cutting holes in the plastic casing, moving a fan, moving the logo, and creating new drive openings. Alot of messing about but it'll maximise efficiency. Might pitch it to Bitfenix since they have a suggestions forum. If I manage to do it to my case, than can become kindof a demo/beta case.

Just reversed the top fan (say reversed, it's actually a 120mm fan I had left lying around) and it's now blowing cool air in from the top, based on the fact that the cooler has no actual case fans blowing directly at it, and the exhaust was venting most of the air away from the cooler, so the cooler has now got a fan directly above it supplying it with air. The second top fan vent has been blocked off with a piece of makedo paper and tape. Not idea but It'll do to stop wasted air. Having said that, I feel more air coming out the top TBH desite pointing in.

CPU temps have dropped somewhat considering the ambient in my room is high, what with it being late spring/early summer and boiling. Cleared some of the dust out aswell... how much of a difference to airflow do dust filters make? Is it significant (I know you have to clean them periodically so it doesn't disrupt airflow, but I want to maximise cooling efficiency and performance.

Had to reset my clocks on the PC because a game (or something) is being a sarky, little twat and chucking blue screens at me.

Date:   May 29, 12 at 8:09am (PST)
did you manage to fix that issue you were having?

I've asked myself about them dust filters before also, but they're there to keep dust out. I'm sure they'll just clog up the fins on the coolers faster if they're off. Also, if you front fans then they'll be affected also since the dust and stuff will be hitting them directly. I mention this because I tried it. My front fans got *bleep*ed fast.

Date:   May 29, 12 at 10:23am (PST)
quote deeplove

I've asked myself about them dust filters before also, but they're there to keep dust out. I'm sure they'll just clog up the fins on the coolers faster if they're off. Also, if you front fans then they'll be affected also since the dust and stuff will be hitting them directly. I mention this because I tried it. My front fans got *bleep*ed fast.
Thing is with them, dust still gets into my PC, even with dust filters on. Probably because it goes through the top where there is just normal mesh and no filters at all. Or bits of dust come off the filter and get sucked in anyway.
quote deeplove

Thing is with them, dust still gets into my PC, even with dust filters on. Probably because it goes through the top where there is just normal mesh and no filters at all. Or bits of dust come off the filter and get sucked in anyway.

Which reminds me, I took one look at the cables in my PC, and thought meh, cannot be arsed to do management. It's bad to the point I'd have to rewire most of the motherboard connections. Doesn't help with the PCI power cables being on the back side of the case, where they've got to cross over and get round the front to get to the GPU... they have to tangle themselves with the SATA power cables, which someone made a terrible decision on how to make them.

Instead of going

D D D
\ | /
\|/
|
P

Like I would've expected, they're actually like:
   D     D
| /
/\ /
/ \/
/ |
| |
P D

P is the PSU socket for the cable and D is the drive socket.

The issue, seems to have stopped though... although the game did crash normally today.

The issue, seems to have stopped... although the game did crash normally today.

Date:   May 29, 12 at 12:09pm (PST)
Yeah, I just did some wire management last week. I put everything in behind the mobo and turned the HDD cage around with the opening of the cage facing the fans. I get a nice flow in there.

Date:   May 29, 12 at 3:34pm (PST)
quote deeplove
Yeah, I just did some wire management last week. I put everything in behind the mobo and turned the HDD cage around with the opening of the cage facing the fans. I get a nice flow in there.
TBH the drive cage below is aligned to provide airflow. Most cables now go behind the mobo but the issue I had before with the 8pin ATX power connector was that it was too short to go around the back so it had to cut across the front. Even the 24pin cable is a slight tad short to go behind properly (it sits behind the drive cage out of the way but not actually behind the mobo) without having to really force it in, and I'm a bit nervous about doing that because some of the ports on motherboards don't feel that secure. I could get an extension cable for that but it means having to mess about on the other side of the case... attaching the panel requires jiggling the cables around.

Most of the mess is on the power cables on the other side of the mobo, and the drive cables at the bottom because the power cables are too long for the gap that it creates unnecessary mess. Unfortunately I've yet to see PSU to SATA drive power cables being sold. The actual sata cables are fine though for the time being, since they are shorter and take up less space.

The only reason I'd tidy up those cables though is to fit a fan in the bottom fan mount, to provide more air direct into one of the GPU fans. However, temps at the moment, the daunting task of having to do that and the fact that I'd have to find another fan doesn't give me enough of an incentive to do so yet...

Even changing the top fan was difficult with that cooler on. I was worried I'd have to take the cooler off to just swap one fan, and that would've required having to take the CPU cooler fans off. I can't really reach the clips on the cooler fans at the top, so the fans would be difficult to remove. Luckily didn't have to take the cooler off, just unplug the SSD and slide it as forward as it'll go... left enough room to maneuver the fan out.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   May 30, 12 at 5:57am (PST)
bloody hell, the GTX 680 is STILL out of *bleep*ing stock. wtf, nvidia? also, simple economics: if there is excess demand for a product, the solution is to raise the prices so that you can increase the amount you can supply to the consumers (yes, let all the *bleep*ers who buy it instead of me suffer!).

also, how on earth did i miss an entire page worth of GD here? arrgh, ever since the site update, there have been bugs galore, and major sluggishness with certain features. subscribing to threads is a nightmare.

Date:   May 30, 12 at 6:18am (PST)
Plenty still in stock over here in the UK. In fact, if I didn't get my 6950 back in December, I would've certainly got one for £400.

Date:   May 30, 12 at 3:09pm (PST)
cheaper in america. this time im going to make damn sure it will be covered. dont want a repeat of last time.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   May 31, 12 at 5:55am (PST)
quote deeplove
Now this is nice.
That case makes me realise everything that is wrong or lacking in mine

Neoseeker reviewed it earlier in the year

Date:   May 31, 12 at 6:44pm (PST)
OMG I didn't know we reviewed that case. I'm looking at the pictures and it looks even better now. Wow it's a nice case. I'm looking at mine now and I want to trash the thing just for an excuse to get the NZXT.

Date:   Jun 01, 12 at 12:17pm (PST)
ohai player1! i see you lurking there!

Author:   Player1
Date:   Jun 01, 12 at 12:53pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
ohai player1! i see you lurking there!

How did you do that

Date:   Jun 01, 12 at 1:51pm (PST)
you too have an enchanting musk

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.