Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 25

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/25.htm

Author:   harbin
Date:   May 19, 12 at 2:58pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
TBH my Steam username isn't Harbin91 either... neither is my Spotify username TBH.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   May 19, 12 at 6:42pm (PST)
I'm only 118 on there I believe. Running the pc 3 or 4 days straight.

Date:   May 20, 12 at 5:12pm (PST)
Would a SSD on a SATA 2 be a good investment?

Author:   chaser34
Date:   May 21, 12 at 12:32am (PST)
11b drop party @ cora dyce w1 on july 6th

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   May 21, 12 at 1:13am (PST)
quote deeplove
Would a SSD on a SATA 2 be a good investment?
eh, depends on your computer. even then, only loding times are improved, so its nothing overly beneficial, unless youve spent a lot on the rest of your rig

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   May 21, 12 at 4:11am (PST)
quote hiigaran
its nothing overly beneficial
Don't knock it until you've tried it :>

As long as you buy a decent capacity one (120GB+) it should last into your next rig, the prices have dropped to less than half of what they were a year ago so I'd say go for it.

Date:   May 21, 12 at 5:14am (PST)
which is why i said unless youve spent a lot on your rig. no point having a SSD in a 500 dollar computer, unless the computer wasnt intended for gaming.

Date:   May 21, 12 at 3:24pm (PST)
For some bizarre reason, just had a failed boot and now it's reset my overclock... strange because I tested it and it was stable.

Date:   May 21, 12 at 4:31pm (PST)
its most likely just a precautionary measure. good thing most modern bioses have profiles to save settings on

Date:   May 22, 12 at 5:07am (PST)
Yeah, went into the BIOS again and the settings were fine, likely it just booted using defaults for troubleshooting reasons. Slighltly modified the RAM though, so it's on 1333Mhz running at CAS 7. Slight decrease in benchmarking scores, but what I don't understand is that instead of the CPU running at 200x20, it's running 199.6x20... even my NB and my RAM are running just below the settings.

Windows also took an unusual long amount of time to boot. Mind you, I think Windows could do with a reinstall on this PC anyway... it's been having some issues for awhile. However, it does seem to be more responsive inside the OS.

Date:   May 23, 12 at 5:56am (PST)
Question and I hope someone can help. My wife works from home. When she's on the internet which is wired, when she gets on her iPhone to listen to pandora the internet goes out. When I'm here with her and I'm gaming with FAH on also, we're fine but then when she goes and uses her iPhone, the internet is knocked out. I check with my iPhone also and mine is out.

I have a D-Link DIR-825 if that helps.

Date:   May 23, 12 at 11:09am (PST)
Best place for this is probably in a new thread, but meh. No idea why but just had a completely random BSoD. Completely out of the blue one might say.

Didn't catch all of it but it dropped a full kernal dump. The cause was listed as a System_Service_Exception, with a 0x3B code. Quite warm in my bedroom but temperatures were all fine. Might have something to do with my RAM overclock but no idea. It happened midgame during Football Manager if you must know.

I'd have a shufty at the memory.dmp file but it seems Notepad doesn't like opening 880-odd MB files.

Edit: currently on my 3DS whilst Windows performs its memory diagnostic.

Can't run Memtest because I cant find the disk.

Also my phone is continually vibrating for absolutely no reason whatsoever

UPDATE: The Windows Memory Diagnostic has found an error... not sure of the severity of it, whether its just an unstable OC or whether it is actually faulty hardware, I won't know until I read the actual report. I'm hoping the ram isn't faulty because then I'll have to mess about finding the faulty DIMM(s), removing my cooler, removing the faulty one(s) and an extra stick, send that off all the way to Taiwan (unless eBuyer deal with that), reapply paste and reattach the cooler...

Alot of tediousness messing about is at stake.

Atleast my ram is still covered by a lifetime warranty that even covers overclocking.

UPDATE 2: Back on the PC after it finished the test, the report wasn't exactly what I hoped it would be... I expected a full report listing a near as accurate analysis of what caused the issue and how to resolve it... instead I just got 'Windows has found an issue with your ram, contact your manufacturer'

Considering the error only occured after I changed the settings again, I doubt it is faulty ram, just a bad overclock.

Date:   May 26, 12 at 8:51am (PST)
Yeah... double posting because I've had another blue screen today.

I've since put the RAM back down to stock, and did a Windows Memory Diagnostic and it passed, which indicated to me that it's fine (although TBH I really should've done more digging).

Only today I was playing a game, and got a 0x124 error which is a generic hardware fault, which does absolute *bleep* all at help me to pinpoint the error, although I did notice a shit load of heat coming out of the top fan vent, which fair enough it is quite warm in my room. I'm fairly concerned that the RAM overclocking adventure might've backfired even more than I hoped and that it's basically damaged one of the sticks, but until I do an intensive memtest+ run, I'll have no idea if the RAM will need replacing or if it's just an isolated incident.

Hoping it isn't something serious though. Not quite sure how hot the components were running though since it's hard to get temp readings in games.

Other than a ton of passes with Memtest to stress the RAM and check there aren't any errors on it, and running FAH to stress the CPU and GPU... anything else I can use?

EDIT: Memtest did three passes and found nothing. The overclock on the CPU is stable, which leaves me with either a random drop in power levels which I'm not quite sure how that would affect it, a malfunctioning GPU (which it has been fine for the past five months of owning it) or high temps (which I'm not sure how they happen since the cooling on both the CPU and GPU should be more than effective).

Of all the things though, I do not want it to be the GPU since that is an ex-display product from Ebuyer (which apparently is only covered by them for 90days), and I'm not sure how it is covered by Sapphire. It was reduced price for damage on the box, so it didn't come with its own box.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   May 27, 12 at 11:44am (PST)
Has anyone used the Cooler Master Elite 360 or Elite 361? I'm after a tower case that can fit a full atx board, atx power supply and be under 38cm tall. Width/Depth not so much an issue.

They seem to be the only cases I can find that fit this requirement, but their PSU mounting is a bit odd (I can't see how the 361 even vents?).

Date:   May 27, 12 at 3:39pm (PST)
What completely unexpected and bizarre place to put a PSU.

I suppose the best thing about the side vents on that case, is that the CPU cooler should eject itself straight out of the case. Not much of an airflow for the graphics card though.

Also someone help fix my issue. I can't offer much other than an e-cookie, eternal gratitude and giving you the knowledge and satisfaction of helping somoene in need

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.