Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 16

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/16.htm

Author:   harbin
Date:   Mar 22, 12 at 6:20am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
Aria has the GTX 680 available. Reasonably priced between £400-£450. HD 7970 territory, price wise.

Not sure what prices are like elsewhere, but the manufacturers haven't had chance to experiment with their custom cooling designs yet.

Anyone know when Neoseeker will get their reviews up to compare it with the 7950 and 7970?

EDIT

Found a review on Tom's Hardware.

Found it on Newegg aswell for 500$... which sucks because that's cheaper than the UK price.

This message was edited on 2012-03-22T06:33:50-07:00.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Mar 22, 12 at 7:54am (PST)
quote hiigaran
ive read through the conditions of RMA...i wouldnt be able to RMA it. even if i lied about stuff, the invoice/receipt required would not be the right one. the only proof of purchase i have is from the dude i bought the card from...even then, i dont know where that is, but its useless as far as EVGA would be concerned.
If you have no hope of shipping it back to the guy and getting him to RMA it, you could try being honest and explaining the situation to EVGA. You've got nothing to loose, and some companies can be quite lenient in how they apply the rules.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Mar 22, 12 at 8:16am (PST)
well, i dont see the harm, but im not holding my breath over it, either. ill give it a shot tonight.

Author:   Randome
Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 7:12am (PST)
I finally had enough time to install the H100 that I bought almost exactly 2 weeks ago.

It made the computer a lot quieter, but the pump is making that 1990's hard drive noise. That's the loudest part of the computer now. I've read that it might be caused by some small airbubbles and that it'll disappear eventually and that it might disappear faster if I spend a few hours on tilting the case to all imaginable angles.

I'm not 100% sure about that, but I'll see how it goes. hiigaran

There's a picture in my thread in the worklogs forum.

Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 7:20am (PST)
yeah it goes away after some usage. my H70 does the same thing if it hasnt been on for a few days.

Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 7:38am (PST)
quote hiigaran
yeah it goes away after some usage. my H70 does the same thing if it hasnt been on for a few days.
Oh good. I just read at the Corsair forum that some people have reduced pump noise by plugging the little 3 pin thing into a place that's meant for case fans, but that didn't make a difference. The motherboard just gave me an error message, saying that the CPU cooler is out. I'll plug it back to the CPU controller the next time I'll turn it off.

Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 7:48am (PST)
i dont see how that is supposed to help at all.

also, i dont know how the pumps work with PWM when plugged in to the CPU fan. would the speed of the pump change accordingly to CPU temperature? if so, i would personally use a case fan, or try and disable PWM

Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 8:38am (PST)
i just got an email from EVGA saying that they might be able to help me out if i had a copy of the original receipt from the seller...which in all likelihood means im out of luck. does anyone remember the guy who shipped the parts for me? unknown was his user name...or most of it, anyway. does anyone know his full username?

i doubt that i will be able to get any help, but i might as well try.

EDIT: never mind, found it, and his email...that was quicker than i thought it would be...

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 9:43am (PST)
Hopefully it goes well, the team seems pretty cool although I haven't made the venture over to their HQ yet they're actually about 25mins away.

Speaking of video cards, took the 6850 to 1.025GHz on the core, running stable at 1.22v and 71c under full load in BF3. Enjoying the boost although the fan from the card is a bit loud given I have all my fans at low and the Gelid cooler on the CPU is in push pull on low RPM too >_<

Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 10:36am (PST)
quote hiigaran
i dont see how that is supposed to help at all.

also, i dont know how the pumps work with PWM when plugged in to the CPU fan. would the speed of the pump change accordingly to CPU temperature? if so, i would personally use a case fan, or try and disable PWM
They said something about there being a lower voltage in the case fans, but that would probably make a minimal difference to pump noise.

Date:   Mar 23, 12 at 10:50am (PST)
voltage is consistent. anything connected to those parts will always use 12 volts.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Mar 24, 12 at 6:47pm (PST)
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to tell if a ssd is failing?

I know SMART monitors the health of a HDD and that failing HDDs often make grinding or loud ticking noises... something obvious to tell you to grab what you can cos the drive is dying, but from what i understand is that a ssd failure is usually instantaneous, with little warning.

Is there anyway you can tell? Or is it a case of it just happens?

Author:   advent kid
Date:   Mar 24, 12 at 9:41pm (PST)
you can download a software called SSDLife or HDTune to check the health of the drive

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Mar 26, 12 at 4:30pm (PST)
How's everyone doing? Thought I'd stop by and let you know that I sold my latest gaming rig a week ago. Now that I have a career working for my local municipality in the IT department the last thing I want to is sit in front of my PC and play games on my off time. I've always had a laptop as well, so I'm using the Lenovo x220 I have now hooked up to my home theater and 24" display for when I want to watch some TV/Movie and the odd match of CS:S Gun Game. What I have replaced my PC with is a new 2012 Yamaha Grizzly 700 ATV. With that I hope to join one of the local ATV clubs and spend the majority of my time off on the trails with a convoy of ATV's. I still visit Neo though for the front page news and once and a while for a forum search. Cheers.

Author:   Liege
Date:   Mar 27, 12 at 12:47pm (PST)
If any has/is interested in obtaining an NZXT Phantom 410 case (Sonic Flash and I have the original model), I thought you might be interested to learn of [ http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/nzxt_slaps_new_special_edition_paint_jobs_phantom_410_chassissome recent additions to their coloration options.]

One is entirely gunmetal gray, the others are a solid color with a different color trim. Not entirely what I would have hoped for, personally, but more options are always welcome in anything.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.