Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 11

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/11.htm

Author:   Gravity
Date:   Jan 07, 12 at 11:46pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
Guess need a new header damn.
What sounds good?

Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Jan 08, 12 at 8:31pm (PST)
Jumping in to say thanks to whoever it was that mentioned bitcoins in one of the previous GD's

I invested on it @ $3 back in December and now bitcoin prices are rising, currently @ $7.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Jan 10, 12 at 7:43pm (PST)
Does anybody know of a good testing suite for hard drives? Got a job lot of unknown drives coming in and I need to sort out what's still good. Current thoughts are SeaTools, but I don't know what else out there is worth using.

quote Gravity
Guess need a new header damn.
What sounds good?
=o you're alive, welcome back Unfortunately I don't have any ideas at the moment for what to put there...

Author:   Anonymous Reborn
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 4:56am (PST)
I think I installed my PSU wrong, the fan facing downwards when in the manuel it made it looks like the fan supposed to be down, but something tells me that it's wrong. I'm using a A60 Thermaltake Mid-tower and a Corsair Enthusiast TX750.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 8:03am (PST)
if the PSU is mounted at the top of the case, the fan faces downwards. if the PSU is mounted at the bottom, the fan faces upwards.

Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 9:17am (PST)
To complicate things that case has a honeycomb opening under the PSU mount, so you can mount it downwards and pull in colder air from outside the case to exhaust through the PSU. Assuming it isn't sitting on a really fluffy carpet completely blocking access

Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 11:02am (PST)
ive never realy understood the point to bottom mouted units from a cooling perspective. even if it can take up air from under the case, it just means that it will draw in more dust, especially if its on carpet (that isnt blocking the airflow)

Author:   Supernova1332
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 8:35pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
ive never realy understood the point to bottom mouted units from a cooling perspective. even if it can take up air from under the case, it just means that it will draw in more dust, especially if its on carpet (that isnt blocking the airflow)
Which is why nearly all cases with bottom mounted PSU's have filters. They won't catch everything, no pc case filter ever will, but it will catch most of the big stuff like any other filter in the case.

Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 8:46pm (PST)
then you are back to square one, as soon as the filter gets blocked. all it does is make dusting easier, no?

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 12, 12 at 10:31am (PST)
So I've got some unused circuit boards, namely a wireless network card with no pin connectors on the end, a failed graphics card, a failed TV tuner card, and two sticks of 512mb PC2-4300 DDR2 DIMMS. Anyone how to go about disposing of them? Living in the UK, I cannot find any information of how to dispose of them, and can't be recycled or binned with regular waste.

The RAM might still work. Would it be worth selling and if so, how much could I get for it? Surely there has to still be some demand for DDR2 RAM for older systems.

Date:   Jan 12, 12 at 3:01pm (PST)
eh, i just chuck it in general rubbish because i dont really care. its more trouble than its worth to 'properly dispose' of them.

Author:   Supernova1332
Date:   Jan 13, 12 at 1:59am (PST)
If you're worried more about the environmental risks rather than recycling the metals then none of those have more than trace amounts of hazardous materials.

If you really want to recycle for the sake of recycling though you might be best off to call a local recycling plant and ask if they do or if they know of a place somewhere in the area that does. That's what I used to to before I found out that the local community college here collects recyclable electronics during the spring and summer.

hiigaran
The point I meant to make was that it doesn't matter as long as your case and the bottom PSU have filters, and as long as you don't have long carpeting. If it's pointing upwards then you're drawing the dust that gets past the main case filters, and possibly fighting your graphics card for air depending on the airflow in the case, and if it's facing downward you're still getting the dust that makes it past the filter. It just makes more sense to pull in the cooler air from outside rather than the ~amount of dust from inside plus warmer air. A case with good airflow and a good PSU makes the warm air point moot though as the slightly higher temps wont reduce the lifespan of the psu by a noticeable amount.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 13, 12 at 12:08pm (PST)
It's not an environmental risk I worry about TBH. The local recycling plant isn't quite local to me either. I'd have to use public transport that would cost me about £7 total. Probably would be just easier and quicker trashing it though. How about the RAM, if it's not worth anything, I might just donate it or something.

Anyone noticed if harddrives are getting cheaper? I could do with either a 3TB external drive, or two 3TB internal drives + a caddy. Still seem to be expensive though.

hiigaran
I thought most PSUs had their fans at 90 degree angles. If the fan on the bottom points up, shouldn't it blow the air out of the back of the case? Dust can also surely be counted by using dust filters. It won't filter the finer particles, but most of it should be catched surely.

Date:   Jan 13, 12 at 12:55pm (PST)
I thought most PSUs had their fans at 90 degree angles. If the fan on the bottom points up, shouldn't it blow the air out of the back of the case? Dust can also surely be counted by using dust filters. It won't filter the finer particles, but most of it should be catched surely.
some are like that, and some arent. units in the last few years have been top mounted, because you can put a much larger fan there, blowing more air, and making less noise. some examples:

old PSU:

new one:

Date:   Jan 13, 12 at 12:58pm (PST)
quote harbin91
The RAM might still work. Would it be worth selling and if so, how much could I get for it? Surely there has to still be some demand for DDR2 RAM for older systems.
The ones on eBay that sell are going for about £3 including postage. Depends how much hassle it is to list & send them if you want to bother or not.

There's a tip about a mile down the road from me, so I just dump it all in their electronics bin if it's broken or has no value.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.