Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/

Author:   Gravity
Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 5:19am (PST)
Subject:   General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
Last Post

quote VeGiTAX2
Spent an hour playing cable ninja. Ended up with this for now.

Side fan throwing up air is a 250mm Antec tri-color on random mode so it makes a variety of cool colors.

Lighting is done via BitFenix LED aqua strip. It is pretty friggin bright too. That was the backlight for the LCD I was working on. Was being the keyword, the IC that connects to the LCD panel fried on me so it's dead project unless I replace that board and the ribbons to the panel itself. >_<

Sorry guys, server was flipping when 2 were created and now they both seem to have deleted.

Here we go again. Sorry for that.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 12:05pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
Living up to your name, Vandal

Author:   Gravity
Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 3:53pm (PST)
Hmm, well actually I don't recall deleting any threads ever before mistakenly

sigh...

Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 4:01pm (PST)
Don't feel bad, I accidentally wiped out things sitewide when I was a Super

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 4:40pm (PST)
quote Ren of Heavens
Don't feel bad, I accidentally wiped out things sitewide when I was a Super
Refresher on the system.

When SSD's of higher capacity start dropping down more I'll shift my games on the 250 (IDE) to the SSD instead. Not in a hurry right now though, if I did anything I'd swap the 4850 for something higher.

Also discovered that Trixx from Sapphire works magic on this card. Vcore can be modded and I'm running at 750 right now with no artifacts. Not sure why CCC would produce artifacts at 685-700 and this isn't doing any of it >_< lame. At least I'm getting the speed benefit.

Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 5:04pm (PST)
What size SSD is it you have?

Had Monday's posts cached at home :]

quote Supernova1332
So anyone else hear about Steve Jobs retiring? Apparently Apple shares dropped significantly, not enormous but very noticable.
quote hiigaran
i dont see why apple shares need to drop. its just a guy retiring. not like apple is going to go to the shitters because of it. besides, isnt he the chairman for the board of directors now or something?

EDIT: Gravity - you might want to delete one of the GDs. the sticky is currently empty.
quote VeGiTAX2
quote hiigaran
i dont see why apple shares need to drop. its just a guy retiring. not like apple is going to go to the shitters because of it. besides, isnt he the chairman for the board of directors now or something?
They don't need to drop obviously, but investor confidence tends to only be high when Jobs is manning the ship. He was always heavily involved in the company itself which is why the worry is there for someone new. The company wasn't exactly shinning high the last time he was out of the picture lol.

Being on the board or leading the board isn't what investors are looking for, often the board isn't even consulted on R&D and product mapping. For a CEO, moving to the board is just a step before full retirement out of the picture and they know it.
quote hiigaran
a'ight, point taken, though im sure people would still consult jobs if he is so darn brilliant
quote Ren of Heavens
Is that an IDE/Floppy cable I see, VeGiTAX2?
quote VeGiTAX2
quote hiigaran
a'ight, point taken, though im sure people would still consult jobs if he is so darn brilliant
People say he's a tyrant about things inside the company, should be interesting to see how someone with a different approach can handle in the tides.

Ren of Heavens Yep for a Maxtor 250 haha, it's where I put all my games to reduce lag. Eventually going SSD once higher capacity gets a little cheaper.
quote harbin91
Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap graphics card? My current card seems to be on it's last legs since the fan is dying on it, and if I can't fix it I might need to be prepared to replace it. I am not going all out on one since my computer is shit and not worth a high end one.

The motherboard only has a PCIe version 1.0 slot (at x16 I think) so that is the limit in bus speeds. I've seen a GeForce 8400 GS at a cheap price (around £30), yet it has mixed reviews. It has 512mb GRAM, and is manufactured by Gigabyte.

Other than watching videos my computer also plays games, but at the moment, I'm not overly bothered about it running super high resolution graphics. I'm willing to go upto £40 price wise (which is around $65 USD).

Currently, I'm on another PC since my card is sat on my desk awaiting a screwdriver that can take the fan case apart on it. Other than having to pay to get a new card, I wouldn't be that bothered if I can't get a new one since my current card is crap anyway... struggles to play LoL on minimal graphics ratings at times.

The fan doesn't seem to be spinning around quickly at all. It moves quite slowly, and I've only noticed this problem since it's started making a quite noticeable, scraping-like now. Kind of like a very loud and annoying mouse-wheel.

The card I currently have is a GeForce 6700 XL (may not have heard of it since it is one manufactured specifically for builders, in my case Medion).
quote Supernova1332
if you can spend the little extra the hd 5670 is much better than anything in the price range and would be infintely better than the 8400gs. For comparison it's somewhere in between a 9600gt and 9800gt by nvidia

Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 5:12pm (PST)
None said when they come down more in price I'll look at the swap. I'd like to aim for a 256GB model. For the price I could get a 6970 easy :/

I'm content with slower access on my other drives though for work, honestly not that big of a deal. My other system holds other drives just for video editing and such.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 5:21pm (PST)
Some Supermod's have too much power

Surely there is some recycle bin for threads somewhere.

Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 5:47pm (PST)
Ah right, fair enough. I splurged on the 120GB model of the Corsair Force GT, 240/256GB would be nice but like you I can't justify the cost, and I should be able to survive on 120GB for a long while (Especially with 6-10TB available on standard drives).

Is there anything even in that second small drive bay you have?

Date:   Aug 31, 11 at 5:57pm (PST)
Nope Originally I had the 2 drives in that little bay but I moved them so I could route the excess PSU cables under there for now. The shadow does a good job of hiding most of the mess. The blue SATA cable runs through a small cable slot designated for the eSATA/usb/power for the top panel.

Making the Phantom the gaming system while I'll keep the P193 as the workhorse for everything else, figured it would keep noise and heat down to only what was needed.

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Sep 02, 11 at 1:39am (PST)
Quick question about a CPU bottleneck. Would my q8400 at 3GHz be a bottleneck for a gtx580?
I was starting to compare a whole new PC to just slapping in a top end GPU into what I have now and calling it a day. Way cheaper if I did it that way.

Author:   Cheesysoapopra
Date:   Sep 02, 11 at 8:50am (PST)
Still running my 2x60gb SSD array. I don't even notice I am until I use those old whachmacallits... magnetic disks????

Date:   Sep 03, 11 at 1:13pm (PST)
The awkwardness of BTX motherboards... why make it so the cables for all the components sit above the fan on the graphics card...

Anyways, the new card is in and working fine. Rather strange at first because I couldn't find the power connecter, and then it said that it didn't need one, so I've now got a spare six-pin molex sat around.

Without having to spend some money on some blanking plates, is there anything that I can use to cover up the two empty slots on my case?

Date:   Sep 03, 11 at 3:16pm (PST)
Silver duct tape blends in well, though I have also just folded some paper and wedged it under the plates on either side to secure it before.

Know anyone who builds/repairs computers? They may have some lying around, I know I do as they're handy for levering things off.

Date:   Sep 03, 11 at 3:39pm (PST)
quote Ren of Heavens
Silver duct tape blends in well, though I have also just folded some paper and wedged it under the plates on either side to secure it before.

Know anyone who builds/repairs computers? They may have some lying around, I know I do as they're handy for levering things off.
Nah... don't really know anyone.

Also out of curiousity, does anyone know where you can find the computer stickers? Only that my graphics card didn't come with a Radeon HD sticker for the computer... only that processors come with one, and if at some point, I end up with a new mobo and case, I'd want something to accompany it, and I can't seem to find any. I've found a few on eBay but they don't match the card.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.