original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1574723-folding-home-5/

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 07, 10 at 11:44pm (PST)
Subject:   Folding @ Home 5
-------------------------------------------
Team Number: 53701
Team stats webpage
Last thread

If your like me, and you have a good computer with a great processor, your not using all of your cpu cycles all of the time. Why not put them to good use?

Folding @ Home

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.
I leave my computer on most of the time, and I've been wanting to try out Folding At Home. I just downloaded it, and started our own Neoseeker team. The program runs in the background, just using spare CPU cycles. My processor has been hovering around 60 to 100% load while I run it, and its risen 9 degree's C. You can easily change how much percent of your processor it uses (from 0 to 100%).

Current projects:
* Alzheimer's Disease
* Cancer
* Huntington's Disease
* Osteogenesis Imperfecta
* Parkinson's Disease
* Ribosome & antibiotics

Download Folding @ Home

Neoseekers Folding @ Home Team

Team Number: 53701

To join the team, download and run the program. Right click anywhere in the page, and select Configure. Put the team number in the Team Number blank.

The success of the neoseeker team would not be possible with out the following members (in no order). You can thank them, give them a slap on the rear, or what ever you want.

Iceguy2003

Anonymous

guticb

courgan

Hiigaran

RCM331

ACY3

Gravity

ParanahJoe

Redemption

Neoseeker

And of course, those of you running the program right now.

If I left you out (and you should be in the list), then sorry, just let me know and I'll put you up there. I'm positive I left someone out though.

Since its going to be very hard to keep up with who is still running the program, and whose not, I'll just change the list to whats on the F@H website. When you set up the program, please use your full user name, and (pc) or (PS3), or (*processor type*) if you want to.

Thank You for helping the cause!

Banners:

Team Stats only:

code
[img]http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php/t=53701[/img]

Team and User Stats:

code
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php/un=**Folding@Home_Name_here**/t=53701/

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited by The Slayer on Sep 07 2010.

Author:   killerkid22
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 2:12am (PST)
Subject:   re: Folding @ Home 5
first post! yay lol.

I'm kinda annoyed...my computer fell asleep so i didn't get my work unit done today! :/

Its moody in terms of falling asleep...yesterday i came home to it working its butt off...today i came home to it sleeping its butt off.. :/

Author:   Gravity
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 3:00am (PST)
How the hell I got another 71k for the last Big is beyond me, I had so much down time it's ricoculous. Ok 1Mil to RCM.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 3:07am (PST)
Has the F@H project helped to cure anything or played an important role in anything science or medical related? One of the reasons I've kinda gotten out of folding is because it seemed like it wasnt doing much of anything to help... Unless I just never read about it or something.

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 3:51am (PST)
quote The Slayer
Has the F@H project helped to cure anything or played an important role in anything science or medical related? One of the reasons I've kinda gotten out of folding is because it seemed like it wasnt doing much of anything to help... Unless I just never read about it or something.
Just a bunch of papers have been published from what I can see. I have no idea what they have to say though.

Author:   dangerman200k
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 7:32pm (PST)
I've got 35k on another () team and an average of 2.8k PPD (about 6k theoretical PPD but I don't fold 24/7). Is there any way of moving (back) to team Neoseeker and keeping my points?

Author:   courgan
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 9:09pm (PST)
you can change back by changing the team number but your points would start over for the new team,however your total points would stay the same.you would not loose any points,they just would show for each tyeam seperatly

Author:   dangerman200k
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 9:12pm (PST)
It's tempting to go back here because I'd be able to get much higher up the list (at the rate I'm folding, it wouldn't be that long before I got into the top 10
But at the same time I don't want to have to start my points again on the team, and the username I'm using at the moment is different to this one :/
Maybe at some point...

Author:   RCM331
Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 9:44pm (PST)
quote Gravity
How the hell I got another 71k for the last Big is beyond me, I had so much down time it's ricoculous. Ok 1Mil to RCM.
Well we can't have that happen, now can we.

Hello team. I have been away for some time now. Nice to see I still have 2nd place and that we have started a 5th thread! Sorry that I have not been around but I guess you can take this thread as me starting to make a comeback into the Folding world.

Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 10:43pm (PST)
quote RCM331
quote Gravity
Unless you are folding on an i7 smp2 with bigadv turned on Gravity is going to catch you. in less than a week he has put up about what i put up in a month.

Date:   Sep 08, 10 at 10:52pm (PST)
quote courgan
quote RCM331
quote Gravity
Unless you are folding on an i7 smp2 with bigadv turned on Gravity is going to catch you. in less than a week he has put up about what i put up in a month.
Wow, well it is about time for me to upgrade my system. But it's nice to see some extra horsepower on the team.

Date:   Sep 09, 10 at 12:23am (PST)
quote RCM331
Wow, well it is about time for me to upgrade my system. But it's nice to see some extra horsepower on the team.
what are your current specs?

Date:   Sep 09, 10 at 1:03am (PST)
quote courgan
what are your current specs?
CPU: C2D E8400 3.0Ghz
GPU: GTX 285 OC'd to 675Mhz core, 1537Mhz shader, 1269 memory
RAM: 4GB DDR2 1066

Author:   Gravity
Date:   Sep 09, 10 at 1:07am (PST)
Deal.

If a little competition helps us to earn more points then I think it's a good thing. Now with all these other members recently putting new systems together, we need to encourage them to join the fray as well.

I don't normally run bigadv constant, I just take the random luck draws when I get them. Kinda a pain to tie up the system for 48-72 hours at a time constantly.

I don't really feel I have enough points to do any sort of bragging yet, I'm not really the bragging sort anyway, but none the less I don't even have 10% of the teams total points...yet, but I hope to change that in the future.

Date:   Sep 09, 10 at 1:22am (PST)
Well I just installed the SMP2 client. Never installed it before and I put the -bigadv switch in.

What exactly does that switch do? I know, I should have looked it up but I am lazy

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.