Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussions Octet - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1552538-general-discussions-octet/

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Jul 10, 10 at 6:37pm (PST)
Subject:   General Discussions Octet
-------------------------------------------
B for Byte, as in 8 bits .

Octet for a group of 8 bits
quote The Slayer
Like always, talk about anything and everything you want; computer related or not. Please try and keep larger computer questions (ie, computer builds, major trouble shooting, complex questions, ect) to a new thread. Simple questions like should I go with 2 or 4gb of ram, and simple hardware questions can go here. If in doubt, just post a new message. Please also try and keep general chatting of just 2 people down. Its ok if its just 2 people posting for half a page, but once it takes up a full page or more, then that's kinda bad .
Last 3 posts:

quote hiigaran
guys, whos good with electronics? heres my predicament:

i just bought a 1000 watt heater which i plan to mount on the ceiling for winter (the ceiling on an enclosed 'balcony' of sorts which is also a room between the entrance and the outside world). i want it because this place gets pretty cold, and last winter, the plants we had were wiped out from the cold. ive done my best to seal off as much as possible, but the heater is still needed. so anyway, i went to get a cheap heater, but what ive noticed about all the heaters is that they had impractical or ugly switches. so i got the cheapest one without any switch (it turns on when plugged in), and i plan to make a switch for it.

so whats the best way i can go about doing this? ive got a few ideas of my own, but im interested in seeing what others with some electronic skills have to say about this.
quote Gravity
Ah that sucks then. I looked at em both, seen em both on your friends list, thought maybe he moved a little lol. Now that's even funnier.

Could you maybe convert a dual outlet plug to a switch/plug combo?
quote hiigaran
i could, but i am horrible at aesthetics. my idea was to get a switch from another appliance/thing, but i dont know if they can handle 4+ amps (i say 4+ just to allow for a little headroom)

That was about the best I could come up with for a clever thread tittle . After making the thread, I realized that B looks odd in the tittle.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jul 10, 10 at 7:05pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussions Octet
yes i too believe that the tittle looks a little odd

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Jul 10, 10 at 7:11pm (PST)
There, is Octect better?

Date:   Jul 10, 10 at 7:15pm (PST)
ahh pity, this wasnt the quartet.

hey, a neoseeker quartet - now that would be interesting!

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Jul 10, 10 at 8:22pm (PST)
Does the socket on the wall it plugs into not have a switch on it?

Date:   Jul 10, 10 at 9:37pm (PST)
no, but even if it did, the socket is on the ceiling, so i wouldnt be able to reach it without stepping up on something.

EDIT: hey slayer, its a pity you didnt have this program on your stolen rig. perhaps it could have been found if the thief wasnt smart enough.

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited by hiigaran on Jul 11 2010.

Author:   Saransh Comsole
Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 9:57am (PST)
Anybody else has the *bleep*ed up my.neoforum? bugging me, because there's nothing under my.threads and Recently viewed threads. :<

Here's a screenie:

Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 12:00pm (PST)
nope. im fine. wait a bit and if it is still a problem, report it as a bug. i trust you know where that is?

Author:   Gravity
Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 1:18pm (PST)
I'd say add another thread and see if it shows and maybe increase the length of time it was last replied to to see threads.

If not you'd report it here.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/29/

Though someone else seems to have reported the same issue.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/29/t1552650-v0-9-10c-recently-seen-topics-threads-not-show-up-my-threads-also-not-show-up/

Author:   Saransh Comsole
Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 1:56pm (PST)
Aye. I'll confirm this guy's report I guess. Thanks, good find Gravity.

Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 3:52pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
no, but even if it did, the socket is on the ceiling, so i wouldnt be able to reach it without stepping up on something.
╔═════╗   ┌──────┐    ┌──────┐
║MAINS╠═══╡Socket│ │Heater│
╚═════╝ └───┬──┘ └──┬───┘
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ │
│ ┌──────┐ │
└─┤Switch├─┘
└──────┘

Something like this for the switch:

You could also use a surface mount box with a standard plug if you want (Instead of hardwired), but there's not much need since the heater is a permanent installation. As for the cable, 1000W ÷ 230V = 4.34A, so you'd need a minimum of 5A cable, but you really should use something higher like the proper mains wiring cable (2.5mm2 Copper = 20A).

I also do not know what the laws are like in Sweden, in some places doing this could get you in trouble with home insurers etc.

Simpler alternative is to put it on a timer, if you know you want it on for specific times. Check it can handle the power draw though!

Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 5:30pm (PST)
As for the cable, 1000W ÷ 230V = 4.34A, so you'd need a minimum of 5A cable
ahh its 230 volts. i forgot what the voltage was so i took a guess and thought 250. the cable itself should be fine, as long as the switch will handle it. the cable is long enough for me to cut it, and use the terminal blocks on the undersides of the switches. i guess ill have to check out a home improvement store.

as for laws, they are pretty lax in terms of what you can do to apartments surprisingly. in australia, despite you paying a bond, youre still not allowed to drill into the walls, remove the carpet, change the vinyl, or paint anything. here, they just dont care

thanks

Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 6:05pm (PST)
Ah, if the cable is long enough to loop down and spice the switch in the middle that's no problem then. A couple of clips to keep the cable from being pulled on, and rubber grommets if you're using a metal box and that'll do it I think

And yeah, Australia are crazy strict on modifying your electrical (I have a lot of family out there). The rules have gotten stricter in the UK, but you can still do quite a lot yourself.

Date:   Jul 13, 10 at 1:28am (PST)
well thanks for your advice. perhaps later today i might have some time to grab that switch, and i can get crackin'

in other news, this is truly the music for nerds. came across it with stumbleupon

Date:   Jul 13, 10 at 2:29pm (PST)
update - i got the switch, but im stuck...how the hell do i open it? i cant see any screws, and brute force opening did not work. ill take a picture of it later on, but do you have any ideas as to why i cant open it?

EDIT: ive found the screws. however, they are located underneath the switch - i guess i have to remove the switch, but that still begs the question of how i must do it

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited by hiigaran on Jul 13 2010.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.