Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Alienware gaming Laptop - Opinions? (UPDATE: ASUS opinions wanted) - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1409414-alienware-gaming-laptop-opinions-update-asus-opinions-wanted/

Author:   T0a5t3r
Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 4:36pm (PST)
Subject:   Alienware gaming Laptop - Opinions? (UPDATE: ASUS opinions wanted)
-------------------------------------------
Area-51® m15x

I'd be getting it for £920, and i'd be using it at university for gaming, video editing and quite a lot of photoshop work.

Is it worth my while? I've read a few good reviews about it but wondered if anyone here had anything to say about this specific laptop, or about Alienware as a brand?

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 4:54pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Alienware gaming Laptop - Opinions? (UPDATE: ASUS opinions wanted)
ahhhh, id advise you to reconsider because of the price. the performance is perfect, but alienware products are grossly overpriced. if you look for another brand with the same or similar specs, youll find better value. something from ASUS maybe, but thats just one of many other manufacturers you can go for (except dell and HP. theyre evil )

Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 5:14pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Alienware gaming Laptop - Opinions? (UPDATE: ASUS opinions wanted)
Yeah i'm aware a lot of people consider it pricey. I've looked around online for days and haven't really got very far - admitedly because i know *bleep* all about laptops and what specs i should be looking for.

All i really know is i'll need to be able to do a lot of video editing and photoshop and illustrator work, and want to be able to play videogames on it (since i'm not taking my desktop or any consoles to Uni). Everything i've found so far in terms of gaming laptops that have had half-decent reviews have been above the £1k marker.

Size-wise i'm not bothered, as i'll rarely be taking it out of my room - so the chunkier the better i guess. And battery life isn't really an issue either seeing as i'll keep it plugged into a main most of the time.

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 5:20pm (PST)
Look no farther than Asus for gaming laptops. Dollar for dollar they smoke Alienware.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 5:30pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
(except dell and HP. theyre evil )

Hey now, I love my HP laptop. I got a good deal for it and it works perfectly.

Author:   The Answer
Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 6:09pm (PST)
quote ParanahJoe
Look no farther than Asus for gaming laptops. Dollar for dollar they smoke Alienware.
I agree with this post.

Asus has some really nice laptops at reasonable prices. Suggest you go for Asus instead.

Author:   Player1
Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 6:20pm (PST)
www.xoticpc.com

Order barebone from there and then parts from Newegg.

Build your own

Date:   Aug 13, 09 at 6:51pm (PST)
well...as close as you can get to building your own. pity you can do every little detail in a laptop.

Date:   Aug 14, 09 at 10:09am (PST)
I can't build by own, like i said, i don't know anything about laptops, certainly not enough to buy my own parts and put them together.

Is there any good ASUS gaming laptops for under £1000? The G series i've found are all over £1k.

Author:   Your_Savior
Date:   Aug 14, 09 at 12:21pm (PST)
just get the alienware if you can afford it and dont care about money

Date:   Aug 31, 09 at 11:34am (PST)
Alright so i managed to find a bit more money and have been looking at Asus laptops as recommended. They actually stopped selling the Alienware laptop i was looking at - so that's no longer an option anyway.

Asus G50V-EX119C

Price £1088.10 (£1251.31 Inc. VAT)

I'm looking at this machine. If anyone can give me any opinions on this laptop it would be greatlky appreciated. Is it a decent gaming laptop for the price i would be paying? Or is there a much better machine out there for the same (or a similar) price? Note: I'm buying in the UK, most probably online.

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Aug 31, 09 at 1:16pm (PST)
Buy it. That laptop is loaded. Nice specs forsure.

Date:   Aug 31, 09 at 2:40pm (PST)
its a little overpriced for my liking, but then again, im sure half of that money goes to taxes anyway, so its bound to be expensive right? its a nice laptop. and thats the best youll get out of me, as i hate laptops

so if i like it, it should be good. my word is law, now obey it

Date:   Aug 31, 09 at 3:17pm (PST)
Thanks for the help.

Someone on another forum suggested this MSI GT729-253BK-E as an alternative to the Asus.

* Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9000 Processor Technology (2.0GHz)
* RAM: 4GB
* Hard Drive: 500GB
* Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows 7 Upgrade? - Click here for more details
* Screen: 17" TFT-LCD Widescreen Display
* Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi/ Blu-ray
* Graphics: ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4850 3D Graphic Card with 1GB
* Bluetooth: Yes
* Notebook Camera: 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam
* Warranty: 2-year warranty
Or is the Asus still better?

Asus G50V-EX119C

Asus G50V-EX119C, Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.4GHz), 15.6" WXGA (1280x800, Colour-Shine), Web Camera 1.3M, NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GT, 512MB dedicated graphics memory, 320GB (5400rpm), 4096MB (2048x2) DDRII 800 RAM, Blu-Ray Combo, Bluetooth, Express gate, Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium, 802.11 AGN, Numeric Keypad, 2.8 Kg with 6 cell battery, HDMI, E-Sata, Asus G50V-EX119C

Date:   Aug 31, 09 at 3:25pm (PST)
the msi laptop is better, but not by too much. personally, id stick with the asus.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.