Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: My external hard drive clicking - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1395889-my-external-hard-drive-clicking/

Author:   mrs.mainville
Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 6:32am (PST)
Subject:   My external hard drive clicking
-------------------------------------------
OK i read some of the posts.. I take it by the clicking noise i hear means its dying or is dead... GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have all of my family pictures and music and docs for church on there.. How do i transfer even at this point?? or can I ..please help me find a solution!!!

thank you!!

.... SO SAD!!>>>>>>

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 6:37am (PST)
Subject:   re: My external hard drive clicking
If it is a metalic clicking, and your drive is lagging, then there is a good chance it is dieing. Back up all your information onto another drive as soon as you can, just copy it to another computer or drive.

If the hard drive does die or doesnt work right, dont freak out. Unplug it from power, put it in a sealed ziplock bag to prevent condensation, then put it in a freezer for about 1-2 hours. After that, take it back out and hook it back up to your computer and copy the rest of the files. Freezing it should contract the metals inside long enough to back up all the data.

What brand, size, and how old is the hard drive?

Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 6:40am (PST)
It's a WD (western Digital) MDL: WD25001032-001

3707A

I BOUGHT IT ABOUT A YR OR SO AGO.. AND IT HAS NEVER FAILED ME.. JUST out of the blue (sorry caps) it did this.. and I cannot get into the files.. the computer isnt reading it at all....

Author:   Chekkaa
Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 6:54am (PST)
Do what The Slayer said and put it in the freezer for a few hours to bring it back to life temporarily. Then once you get the data back, get a new external drive and start performing regular data backups.

Actually, I am wondering why you only kept your data on the external one and not on your computer's internal one too... wouldn't it make sense to have the data on both drives in case something like this happens? The whole point of backing up your data onto an external drive is so that you have the data in more than 1 place...

Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 6:56am (PST)
ok guys.. thank you!! i will try and let you know

Author:   Final Blade
Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 9:45am (PST)
quote Catboy14
Do what The Slayer said and put it in the freezer for a few hours to bring it back to life temporarily. Then once you get the data back, get a new external drive and start performing regular data backups.

Actually, I am wondering why you only kept your data on the external one and not on your computer's internal one too... wouldn't it make sense to have the data on both drives in case something like this happens? The whole point of backing up your data onto an external drive is so that you have the data in more than 1 place...
Not unless you just back it up to get it off the PC since it IS taking up space. Hell I'd use pen drives for that. But, it also depends on how much photos and stuff he had on the External drive.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 6:21pm (PST)
if space is an issue, get winrar, and archive them to save space. basically put the settings onto best compression and create a solid archive. easy.

and on the notw of the freezing thing, make damn sure that the bag is sealed. a friend of mine did the same thing with his laptop battery and didnt properly close the bag, and he ended up having to buy a new battery.

Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 10:16pm (PST)
...Why did he freeze his laptop battery? I thought freezing any battery pretty much killed it or drained it of power.

Date:   Jul 18, 09 at 10:17pm (PST)
i dont know. i think his mentality was that electricity works better under colder temperatures because of less resistance...

...then again, this is coming from someone who has gone through 3 desktops, 4 laptops, and 8 psp's
on the bright side, his ps3 is running smoothly

Author:   Bass Ultra
Date:   Jul 19, 09 at 4:15am (PST)
quote hiigaran
i dont know. i think his mentality was that electricity works better under colder temperatures because of less resistance...

...then again, this is coming from someone who has gone through 3 desktops, 4 laptops, and 8 psp's
I want to be your friend.

Date:   Jul 19, 09 at 5:43am (PST)
OK!! So I did the freezing thing.. in the freezer for 2 hrs... It still is clicking and not working.. UNFORTUNATLY i have to send it in and pay to recover my files....

IN RESPONSE TO MY INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MEMORY =

I do much Video editing and pictures and a ton of music and documents.. that it BOGS down MY INTERNAL computer.. There is no way my regular Computer can hold all that information without bogging it down and make it go way to slow.. BEEN THERE DUN THAT!!!!!! MANY TIMES>>>>
I only used my external was when i need the files out of it!! So NOW i know Ineed a backup for my back up!!! HOW FUN!!! FOUND a lagitamate HD 500GB on ebay.. it's really nice and cheap...

THX everyone for your help... very much appriciated

DID ALOT OF RESEARCH IN 2 DAYS AND TALKED WITH MANY PEOPLE.. GOT MANY OPINIONS.. AND ADVICE

This message was merged with other messages by The Slayer (moderator)

Mod Edit: There is no need to make your text large and red, we can read it just fine when you type normally .

Date:   Jul 19, 09 at 5:55am (PST)
Try freezing it for 12 hours and see if that works. From what I've read, the longer you freeze it, the more time you can get out of it.

quote mrs.mainville
FOUND a lagitamate HD 500GB on ebay.. it's really nice and cheap...
I've never heard of Lagitamate... A random brand name and cheap dont usually go together. If you go with a good, reliable brand, like Seagate or Western Digital, then you may have better luck with drives in the future. I have drives from Seagate and Western Digital that are 6 years old and still working.

Date:   Jul 19, 09 at 4:23pm (PST)
quote BASS ULTRA
quote hiigaran

ummm...okay?

Author:   Nu Wa Rocks
Date:   Jul 19, 09 at 7:24pm (PST)
quote The Slayer
Try freezing it for 12 hours and see if that works. From what I've read, the longer you freeze it, the more time you can get out of it.

quote mrs.mainville
FOUND a lagitamate HD 500GB on ebay.. it's really nice and cheap...
I've never heard of Lagitamate... A random brand name and cheap dont usually go together. If you go with a good, reliable brand, like Seagate or Western Digital, then you may have better luck with drives in the future. I have drives from Seagate and Western Digital that are 6 years old and still working.
I think the OP meant to say 'legitimate" hdd. Also, I keep my normal duracells and energizer in the freezer. It's suppose to help slow the loss of the electrical charge of your battery before you decide to use it, however I have never placed a laptop battery into the freezer. Any rechargeables should be kept recharging till you use it.

Author:   Bass Ultra
Date:   Jul 19, 09 at 9:48pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
quote BASS ULTRA
quote hiigaran

ummm...okay?
No I mean I want to be that guy that gone through 3 desktops, 4 laptops, and 8 psp's. Who is, your friend.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.