Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Is max payne worth it? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1662/t46095-max-payne-worth/

Author:   Chrisisdude
Date:   Jan 18, 02 at 7:45am (PST)
Subject:   Is max payne worth it?
-------------------------------------------
I have heard that in max payne on the ps2 when gun fights start the game can not handle it and it slows down to a really bad frame rate. If you could please tell me how much this really affects the game and if it is worth buying in general. Cheers Chris

Author:   sic
Date:   Jan 18, 02 at 7:59am (PST)
Subject:   re: Is max payne worth it?
I can't comment on it to much(becuase I'm yet to play the game), but from what I've seen and heard this has little to no affect.

This message was edited by sic on Jan 18 2002.

Author:   British Bolton
Date:   Jan 18, 02 at 2:04pm (PST)
I have had my copy of max payne for nearly a week and I don't think it's that slow it's just like playing any other games a bit slow at loading but not that slow.

Author:   Chump
Date:   Jan 18, 02 at 5:22pm (PST)
a few times i have noticed a bit of slowdown when there are a few enemies on screen when your all shooting but it hardly ever happens and doesn't bother me.

I'd say it is definitely worth buying

This message was edited by Chump on Jan 18 2002.

Author:   Silver Cyclone
Date:   Jan 18, 02 at 8:44pm (PST)
Well I've played the game for a while now and haven't noticed any slow down. Except Bullet Time lol.

Author:   piffchuck
Date:   Jan 19, 02 at 4:46am (PST)
Load times are slow ... But I havn't seen the action slow down yet ... I wasn't impressed at first but I am warming to the game now ... It's still linear though and thats my only gripe now ....

Author:   Silver Cyclone
Date:   Jan 19, 02 at 8:12pm (PST)
A lot of 3rd person games are a bit linear though. They should create a full roaming one like GTA3. The levels won't be as big but you could explore much more.

Author:   Ki11ah
Date:   Aug 26, 03 at 12:18am (PST)
max paynes gameplay slows down a little bit on mine and everytime that i get in to a gun fight it slows down i have so advice to u people dont buy it its not worth it

Author:   Turkish
Date:   Aug 26, 03 at 1:47am (PST)
The game runs on a very low framrate ALL THE TIME. However, most of the time you can even notice it. If you play the game a lot you will get use to it, then you will play another game for a while, then go back to Max Payne and really notice the difference. The game slows down considerably when in a gun fight or large room, but not to the point that it hinders the gameplay, and like I said; you will get use to it.

The game takes longer to load that some other PS2 games and all of this is because they did a shitty job of translating it onto the PS2... but the game is WICKED fun despite.

My suggestion: Get the game on the X-Box or PC if possible, if not get the PS2 version because the game is totally worth it and at $20 now it it's even more worth it. I have had it for a year now and haven't even thought about trading in because I still play it from time to time. The gameplay is addicting and the Bullet-Time just sweetens the deal. If you like hardcore action games with a terrific story mixed in get this game, it's a classic.

Author:   Matt v1
Date:   Oct 28, 03 at 9:07pm (PST)
it is a very fun game but the time that it take to beat is bad, it probly takes more time to earn the money! but overall it is pretty awesome

Author:   moekid20
Date:   Nov 04, 03 at 7:08am (PST)
this is a very good game i recomend it.

Author:   BrandNew
Date:   Nov 28, 03 at 4:08am (PST)
Definately a great game, i recommend it also.

Author:   Rizen Again
Date:   Dec 17, 05 at 8:37pm (PST)
I recommend the game and yes the gunfights are a tiny bit jumpy. But only like once every 5 missions or something. Seriously, get this truly outstanding 10/10 game!

Author:   Rizanian
Date:   Jun 30, 06 at 12:13pm (PST)
well get the game only if you lurv the cake.

Author:   Ri22y
Date:   Jul 19, 06 at 3:40pm (PST)
Yes, it's worth it. It may sound a long time as it was made back in 2001, but still, it's a legendary game to have. It has got a lot of levels and a very appealing storyline with a lot of twists and turns. It also features a new Bullet Time mode where everything is all slow motion and you have a greater advantage while capping your enemies.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.