Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Video games affecting personality - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/16/t1815041-video-games-affecting-personality/

Author:   dyeriuss
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 11:56am (PST)
Subject:   Video games affecting personality
-------------------------------------------
Do video games truelly effect personalitys? you always hear about violent video games making people violent. but do puzzle games make people smarted and do MMO's make people more public? so what do you all think? do video games effect persoanlitys?

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 11:59am (PST)
Subject:   re: Video games affecting personality
No. It might have some influence on a kid but not to the extent that the media makes out. Violent games does not make you into a killer unless there are underlying mental issues. If it does then the parent has obviously *bleep*ed up somewhere with bringing up their child. Even then, there are reasons why certain games are rated 18, simply put they are not for kids and parents should realise that before buying it and then complaining because it's unsuitable... well no shit, that's why it's rated 18 you stupid twats.

I've played so many games throughout my life if games influenced me not only would I've gone on a killing spree, I'd have become a professional footballer, cricketer, snooker player, racing driver, hero in several fantasy worlds, a champion of a fighting tournament, emperor and supreme commander of every single army in the world and pokemon master.

Author:   AriaFiresong
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 12:08pm (PST)
Well, I play MMOs. I'd have to say it's the main genre of games that I play. It hasn't made me more or less social over the years--public schooling saw to that.

I've played three different GTA games. I must say, so far, I've never gotten the urge to steal a cop car and run over all of the people.

I've played several racing games, and I have a good driving record (have only gotten one ticket so far, don't intend to get any more.)

If anything, the only influence games have on me, is that I play them, therefore they take up my free time.

Shockingly horrible, huh?

Parents can control what their kids have access to. If they don't, it's not the item in question's fault--it's their own. They are the ones responsible for making their kids into upstanding citizens. If they fail that, and their kid does something dumb or violent, of course they're going to blame something else.

They don't want to admit that they're at fault.

Author:   Exonerate
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 12:11pm (PST)
http://www.ted.com/search?cat=ss_all&q=video+games

I know it's Thinker's Lounge and I should probably say more but there you go. Listen to some of those and your opinion will most likely change.

Author:   dyeriuss
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 12:19pm (PST)
It dosent have to make you anything. but can they slightly alter the personality to a certain extent? can depressing games make someone depressed? can scary games make someone more fearfull or braver?

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 12:32pm (PST)
I don't know. I feel my personality hasn't been altered through video gaming at all, but there has been experiments with such things that indicate some sort of influence. Don't quote me on that though, I read a lot of news and they can pull shit out of their ass at times.

Having played games since I was around 9 years of age (Neopets anyone? Haha) well over a decade ago, I can say it hasn't changed my personality, but it's changed my priorities. Probably a bad thing there, but then it could also be attributed to the teenage depression phase I went through. Again, pretty inconclusive from my point of view.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 12:57pm (PST)
I don't know, but looking at some proper scientific studies would be a good start. They may have an effect; they may not. I wouldn't be surprised if they do to some degree.

I'm not sure that there's any merit to me as, as a gamer, saying that I don't think it's made a difference to my personality. How the heck would I know, particularly if it's an insidious change? People are never good judges of such changes in themselves.

Author:   BluAnimal
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 1:41pm (PST)
In the long term? No, I don't think playing GTA will make you any more of a serial killer than watching Breaking Bad will make you cook meth.

In the short term? Totally. If I play a scary or depressing game (Fallout, for example) with limited social interactions for that day, I'll be sadder. Playing a game where you slay dragons or race cars can get me pumped as well, but I don't think video games have the power to change someone's reality.

Author:   Jameson user
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 2:23pm (PST)
Funny videogames will have me busting out lame jokes for the next few days, but other than that not much. Post-apocalyptic games like Fallout do awaken a sort of curiosity as to the ramifications of human folly, etcetera; other games have other small effects. Overall they have about as much effect as, say, a book does in my opinion. It certainly won't make me a psychopathic killer any more than a Quentin Tarantino film will turn me into Samuel Jackson.

Author:   Ascii
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 2:55pm (PST)
It can change your emotions for a brief period, which could affect your personality, but there isn't anything long term that could happen to mentally healthy individual from a video game.

Author:   Distortion
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 3:20pm (PST)
I don't know. Maybe? Especially if they're exposed to them in the preteen years and earlier.

Author:   wildfire
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 3:34pm (PST)
quote Distortion
I don't know. Maybe? Especially if they're exposed to them in the preteen years and earlier.
I doubt it, children are capable of knowing what's fictional and what's not. I've seen a few experiments done on that subject and none are worth paying any attention or are simply inconclusive.

To me, video games are simply entertainment, and I wouldn't confuse that with real life. Those parents who claim that violent games make kids more violent are doing something similar to those parents who protested Elvis Presley for his PG rated dance moves.

I wonder what kind of games my kids will play... and if I want them to be spending their time on it....

What's everyone's opinion on virtual reality? If they have that as a medium to play games, would you like it if your kid spent most of his or her time inside a game?

Author:   Ascii
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 4:03pm (PST)
quote wildfire
What's everyone's opinion on virtual reality? If they have that as a medium to play games, would you like it if your kid spent most of his or her time inside a game?
I would let them but try to moderate it. It wouldn't be a super strict moderation or schedule because that is like saying, "Don't push that button!" They will obviously do it. I wouldn't care to let a 10 year old play a rated- M game either. It would all depend on how mature the kids were.

Author:   Shadic Hearts
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 4:31pm (PST)
I've actually tested this on myself once .Nah,it doesn't change you.Me and my cousins can prove it.

Author:   Praetorian_Lord
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 5:05pm (PST)
There's actually fairly strong evidence that violent video games (as well as movies, T.V., etc.) do increase aggression levels and antisocial behaviour, but you're not allowed to say that online. Science is God to internet geeks 99% of the time but as soon as it comes to video games, there are suddenly a million flaws in every study making them all invalid.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.