Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Those hard choices in life. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/16/t1795312-those-hard-choices-in-life/

Author:   Dreadlock Holiday
Date:   Nov 20, 12 at 9:41pm (PST)
Subject:   Those hard choices in life.
-------------------------------------------
Recently I had a check up with my chiropractor about my scoliosis (curvature of the spine), which I've had since I was young. He went on with what he does best, adjusting and cracking my back, pulling my arms in all sorts of directions and even pulling my shoulders backwards while pushing his knee against my back. Afterwards I feel like I'm 7 foot, the relief I feel is awesome, I know it's only a quick fix but it's definitely worth it.

But shortly afterwards told me I had three choices; the first was to start yoga, or any other form of stretching to make sure I'm using the right muscles in order to prolong the curve that will eventually get worse. It won't fix the problem, but will allow me to strengthen not only my back, but my core, upper and lower body.

The second choice I had was a back brace, which I'd have to wear and get adjusted forever basically. It's the most preferred choice and it provides support for my back, but can lessen mobility.

The other choice is to go under the knife and have a back operation that has a 40% success rate, with the other 60% being paralysis from the waist down.

I need to make a decision fairly soon, the thought of waking up and being told I'll never walk again freaks me out quite frankly, but having a permanent lean and being unable to perform basic tasks freaks me out more, any thoughts anyone?

Author:   Misty
Date:   Nov 20, 12 at 9:52pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Those hard choices in life.
A very old friend of mine had the brace for scoliosis, actually. You don't have to wear it anymore after you stop growing, at least she didn't. It does limit your mobility, and you can't eat very much at once or it gets really uncomfortable, but you'd never know the difference with her.

Ultimately I think if you're considering the surgery, try spending a week in a wheelchair with no lower body mobility to see what you really think of the idea of paralysis. It isn't the end of the world, but it's pretty life-changing, and I think your view on it seems a bit off considering that (from what I gather) seems less bad than having the curvature?

Author:   Short Circuit
Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 3:13am (PST)
Well we can't decide for you, but you seem to be leaning toward the second choice.

What does the surgery entail, though? How do they surgically fix your back?

Author:   Ninjames
Date:   Nov 24, 12 at 4:53pm (PST)
Being permanently paralysed from the waist down would be a big thing. If I were in your situation I'd be inclined to go with the second option.

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Nov 27, 12 at 12:48am (PST)
Can you do a mixture of Yoga and wearing the back brace ?

Would doing Yoga limit the amount of time you'd spend in the brace?

Thats would seem like a decent balance. In any case best of luck with your choice!

Author:   finalfight
Date:   Nov 27, 12 at 1:21pm (PST)
Are you at the point where prolonging surgery will lower the chances of its success? Because if you'd have the same odds in a year or so, then I'd definitely focus on instead prolonging that decision. In my mind the most logical decision for you to make would be to focus on yoga until the point a back brace was necessary and then make your decision about whether you want the brace or the surgery. Though I'll admit the brace seems like the far superior option, as a 60% chance of paralysis is just too risky. That really seems like a last resort option.

Prolonging the surgery comes with the added benefit of medicine perhaps advancing enough to increase your odds. Again though, I don't know enough about scoliosis to know if the act of putting off surgery increases its failure rate. I'd definitely look into that if you don't already know.

Author:   Yogurt
Date:   Nov 27, 12 at 2:14pm (PST)
I'd go for a back brace.

Date:   Nov 28, 12 at 12:54am (PST)
Sorry if this is an unnecessary bump, but having talked to my chiropractor, I have decided that it is best for me to take up a combination of hydrotherapy and yoga. Along with a list of stretches and some regular working out.

He believes this will prolong the full effects of my scoliosis, but sadly my curvature will not stop, it seems the curve will get worse, but the stretching will allow movement around the spine, as my chicken bone (large bone at the base of the shoulder is wedged into my spine).

Glad to have this off my chest.

Author:   Ellipsis
Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 4:15am (PST)
Well from the OP I can tell you seem to somewhat subconsciously prefer the back brace choice. I used to have a friend who had back problems and had to wear one. Sometimes it can show through your clothes, though, and she would always get depressed if anyone invited her to a pool because you can't swim with them, but she didn't seem too bothered most of the time.

Author:   Another_Mutant
Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 4:29pm (PST)
As a side note, is there anything stopping you from using that and the back brace?

Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 4:38pm (PST)
Not at all Another_Mutant, I'm thinking about getting the back brace, but I'm in need of funds in order to get it. My back is slowly relaxing, my back muscles are hard as rocks, not in a good way either. Its due to the muscles not being used enough.

Author:   BluAnimal
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 6:00pm (PST)
dreadlockholiday

I'm glad to hear that you've decided on a plan. My friend has scoliosis and while she had to wear the brace until she was about 16, she hasn't had issues with it since then. Are you going to continue doing the yoga and stretching, or are you going to just use the brace permanently?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.