Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Final Fantasy series has become a bad joke - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/15838/t1689381-final-fantasy-series-has-become-bad-joke/

Author:   doomed_soul89
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 5:30pm (PST)
Subject:   Final Fantasy series has become a bad joke
-------------------------------------------
It used to be really good but then they lost alot with X but it was still pretty good then they had the horrible online one which hurt it's reputation and then the offline MMO that was XII was still okay but not that good. But with this latest batch FF is just complete crap. XIII is the most boring rpg I have seen in years, and XIV is a massive bomb, XIII's sequel looks even worse and now I'm even losing hope for versus and zero.

What I don't get is why these crappy games get good rating and sell (mainly FFXIII) despite well being extremely horrible. Are people really just that blinded by loyalty or did SE pay reviewers off?

Author:   Markimus_123
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 5:47pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Final Fantasy series has become a bad joke
quote doomed_soul89
It used to be really good but then they lost alot with X but it was still pretty good then they had the horrible online one which hurt it's reputation and then the offline MMO that was XII was still okay but not that good. But with this latest batch FF is just complete crap. XIII is the most boring rpg I have seen in years, and XIV is a massive bomb, XIII's sequel looks even worse and now I'm even losing hope for versus and zero.

What I don't get is why these crappy games get good rating and sell (mainly FFXIII) despite well being extremely horrible. Are people really just that blinded by loyalty or did SE pay reviewers off?
Weirdly enough yours isn't the only opinion out there People have different opinions on what a good game is, my favourite Final Fantasy is FFXII, but I'm not going to start arguments with people who think differently and call the other ones crappy, also an offline MMO is a bit of an oxymoron

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 6:01pm (PST)
quote Markimus_123
quote doomed_soul89

Weirdly enough yours isn't the only opinion out there People have different opinions on what a good game is, my favourite Final Fantasy is FFXII, but I'm not going to start arguments with people who think differently and call the other ones crappy, also an offline MMO is a bit of an oxymoron
It get's the point across. Also at the very least you have to admit FFXII is different from the ones that made the FF series so popular and different from what the fans wanted. There isn't any defense like that for FFXIII or XIV either those two are just horrible.

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 6:05pm (PST)
It may be different, but at the end of the day Square Enix are going to be looking to broaden their audience, so they're obviously going to experiment with changes to try and do so

Author:   Tam85
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 6:32pm (PST)
I liked ff12 alot the gambit system was a nice way to control ur charecters,and I dont think ff13 was really a bad game just different from what we were use to.

Author:   Vicarious
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 6:40pm (PST)
Final Fantasy XII was a great game and so was XIII man. Stop obsessing over the faults and find the good in things. Just because they changed doesn't mean you have to criticize everything about it.

I am sorry you didn't like them but I loved them.

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 8:37pm (PST)
quote The Pursuit
Final Fantasy XII was a great game and so was XIII man. Stop obsessing over the faults and find the good in things. Just because they changed doesn't mean you have to criticize everything about it.

What kind of idiot are you, FFXIII has no exploration, combat system is stupid since you can't control any of your party and if you die it's game over despite the fact there is a revive spell. The upgrading is essentially automatic and you might as well just mash x and let the comp choose your moves through the entire game. It's a crappy game what specifically is good about FFXIII? As for XII, I had issues controlling the party, summons were next to useless because it took your party away while leaving one of them vulnerable and they weren't even that strong and the best strategy was to chain quickenings, also the characters had absolutely no identity of their own, square was just emulating games that did stuff like that better.

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 8:38pm (PST)
quote Tam85
I liked ff12 alot the gambit system was a nice way to control ur charecters,and I dont think ff13 was really a bad game just different from what we were use to.
See above, what exactly about FFXIII was good except the graphics and music? The gameplay no, the combat no, the story hell no.

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 8:41pm (PST)
quote Markimus_123
It may be different, but at the end of the day Square Enix are going to be looking to broaden their audience, so they're obviously going to experiment with changes to try and do so
Trying to get a broader audience almost always means dumbing down gameplay. That's all square did is dumb down gameplay, the y didn't try anything new they just took out all exploration, choice and strategy.

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 8:50pm (PST)
I'm going to assume that you haven't beat FFXIII then, considering that once you get to Gran Pulse the game opens up a lot more, maybe you couldn't explore to the extent you could on FFXII, or the older Final Fantasy games, but it was still exploration, I'll give you the limited choices but you're pretty wrong about no strategy being involved too. You'd have some trouble beating that game with the default Paradigms.
Also, it's frowned upon to double post here, nevermind triple post, just reply to each member in the one message

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 8:51pm (PST)
Why did you have to triple post lol. But I liked the story and the combat in both. It is just a matter of opinion.

Author:   Cyanide
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 9:09pm (PST)
Hasn't been good since VII.

FFVIII had too much farming, FFIX had to little gameplay and too much *bleep*ing around, then the series went to shit. Anyone who thinks the newer ones are an improvement haven't played IV.

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 9:19pm (PST)
I have played IV and I loved it. I have played almost all of them and wouldn't compare them. There all so different to me and I believe people these days are too picky and negative..

I loved them all because they were all there own game.

Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 9:27pm (PST)
I've played the DS version if that counts....probably not xD But yeah I haven't played a Final Fantasy game that I don't like, I just prefer the more recent ones

Author:   Koj
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 9:49pm (PST)
quote Cyanide
Hasn't been good since VII.

FFVIII had too much farming, FFIX had to little gameplay and too much *bleep*ing around, then the series went to shit. Anyone who thinks the newer ones are an improvement haven't played IV.
I think you may be confusing "improvement" with "similarity" if you think FFVII was the last decent FF title. Final Fantasy VII had great gameplay but out of all the games with development, FFVII had a horrible development with it's main character. The only other characters that had worse development were all in FFXII.

Final Fantasy VIII has THE WORST battle system but Final Fantasy generally has crappy battle systems anyway. In every other aspect (being graphics, character development, plot, music) it tops a lot of other games. Just because a game fails in one does not mean the whole game fails. FFIX having too little gameplay is relative. Tetra Master is available throughout the whole game and it's playfulness makes up for the occasional trough in the game's excitement.

quote The Pursuit

Final Fantasy XII was a great video game but doesn't meet the Final Fantasy standard.

What puzzles me is why people think Final Fantasy X is the first of the worsts. Yeah, it had some bad voice acting but it was a first attempt. The characters have much more emotion, the graphics are amazing! A huge leap from FFIX. The development is wonderful. Every character, even the side characters, have something wonderful to offer. The music is *bleep*ing boss. No clarity on who really was the main villain (Seymour, Jecht, or just the whole Yevon church?) and a much improved battle system. Final Fantasy X-2 was where it became crap. Complain about that.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.