Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: [Feedback] News Notifications - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/15/t1785388-feedback-news-notifications/

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 2:00am (PST)
Subject:   News Notifications.
-------------------------------------------
Hi,

Anyone know how i turn these off? They are rendering the notification system useless for me.

If they cant be truned off may i suggest just getting rid of them? They cause a lt of nuissance for no real benifit. I dont have to know when every single person comments on a news thread i happen to have commented in once over a week before.

Cheers for the time.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 2:48am (PST)
Subject:   re: [Feedback] News Notifications
Only thing I can think of is clicking the '-my favourites (1)' button on the article itself. TBH just because I comment on an article doesn't mean I want to know about all the follow up posts on it, or atleast not on an old article that I posted on a month ago.

I think other people do read new article comments so it does have some uses. There is probably a forum setting for it somewhere.

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 5:53am (PST)
There is not much for users when it comes to notifications, unfortunately. As far as I know you can't turn news notifications off.

quote harbin91
TBH just because I comment on an article doesn't mean I want to know about all the follow up posts on it, or atleast not on an old article that I posted on a month ago.
I completely agree with this. The staff has said they won't add much control to notifications, but there really are some cases when we should be able to un-subscribe from them. Such is the case with news notifications, because most of the time I won't care about follow-up discussions in an article I just commented, and if I did, THEN I would like to choose whether I want to be notified of following comments or not.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 7:10am (PST)
harbin91, I know the old system used to shut down comments on a particular article after about a month, but I don't think they're doing that anymore because it also creates a forum thread and it'd be weird to just see a bunch of closed threads for any news articles.

Author:   Lorx
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 11:43am (PST)
Since threads/articles are "merged" more or less, I'm thinking the best option would be to simply normalize article notifications, and thread ones. This is the current setup;

Subscribing to Threads: Articles: So...we have threads, which you can choose to keep an eye on, or articles, which you don't get a choice on, but can opt in to a second half of tracking features.

Why not just combine that in a way that's pleasing to the end user? Something that allows users to track thread/article comments if they choose to, normalize what each "side" does when you reply or want to track it, make them the same.

A way to do this: This has two advantages:

Author:   Ben73
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 5:30pm (PST)
I also hate this.
I like notifications when some one directly quotes me, but I dont need one everytime there is a response to the thread/news article.

I think if someone wants a notification every time a post is made, that should have to turn it on manually for themselves.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 7:47pm (PST)
quote Ben73
I think if someone wants a notification every time a post is made, that should have to turn it on manually for themselves.
^^

Author:   Grimdark
Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 11:59am (PST)
Yeah well, keep dreaming guys. They've already said they don't want it to be optional etc. I think the filter is the closest we'll see to opting out of useless notifications.

Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 2:13pm (PST)
That's smart.

"Hey guys, what's the best way to get interest in our news articles?"

"Let's bomb the shit out of anyone who replies with annoying notifications!"

Author:   Redemption
Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 3:57pm (PST)
Is there a use case where switching to Direct Notifications isn't good enough to not receive News Notifications?

The Direct Notifications filter is sticky and once set, will permanently make it so that your Notifications counter only goes up if you get Direct Notifications.

What you might miss out on if you turn this on, aside from indirect News Notifications:
  1. Replies to stuff aside from News that you commented on. Eg If you comment on a fanart, normally you'd get Indirect Notifications of future replies. You won't see those anymore.

Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 6:24pm (PST)
Just switched to it and not thirty seconds go by and I got a notification saying someone commented on a news article. It doesn't show up in the direct notification list. but it still puts a number next to the overall notification tab. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Author:   Celes Leonhart
Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 12:26am (PST)
quote Demonfurby
Just switched to it and not thirty seconds go by and I got a notification saying someone commented on a news article. It doesn't show up in the direct notification list. but it still puts a number next to the overall notification tab. Unless I'm doing something wrong?
This also happens to me.

Author:   Redemption
Date:   Nov 05, 12 at 5:51pm (PST)
I think that's a bug/flaw, we're looking into it

Author:   ar_cat
Date:   Nov 07, 12 at 12:01pm (PST)
Hi guys, there might have a misunderstanding and the unread notification count was never done to specs.
I have modified it so that it respects the 'All', 'Direct', 'Other' filters.
If you encounter any problem, please report it in the bug forum. Thank you.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.