Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: [Feedback] Improve Neoseeker Mobile - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/15/t1692362-feedback-improve-neoseeker-mobile/3.htm

Author:   DragoniteBallZ
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 8:07pm (PST)
Subject:   re: [Feedback] Improve Neoseeker Mobile
-------------------------------------------
Sigs are one of the things that doesnt need to be there. Mobile sites usually cut non essential features.

Author:   Jax06
Date:   Oct 30, 11 at 8:48am (PST)
I constantly accidentally check the subscription box that's next to the thread title and information (like last poster and at what time). Do we really need that there? (Assuming that's a subscription box..?)

Date:   Feb 18, 12 at 12:47am (PST)
Neoseeker just plain needs a layout update. This is still the same layout from 2003. Especially with a majority of internet users browsing via touch screen tablets and smart phones than computers, this layout needs to be more intuitive for that. Using like HTML5/CSS3/jQuery powered layout and functionality with a grid structure so the same layout will work fluidly from computer screens to smartphone resolution. Really the important change is bigger buttons and wider line spacing for link text for a more touchscreen friendly layout.

Author:   Redemption
Date:   Mar 06, 12 at 7:25pm (PST)
Mobile mode is tricky because you have to balance between having links in that people want and making them easy to click. Believe it or not, the "terrible" mobile mode we have now was made painstakingly and carefully to try to maximize what is shown with what is available to use. During the UK meeting it was brought up the mobile mode needs to be more touch friendly (I use it on a touch phone), especially the pagination and various links and that's on our TODO list.

It is VERY HARD to show both information people want/need and also make it touch friendly, since the touch links are absolutely huge.

I went to the neogaf mobile mode and they solve the useability problem by pretty much removing all links from the site at all, and removing 50% of the data. For instance, their thread browse pages have no author name, no date, no page links, and no last post information. For pagination you can press "Next" or "Previous". Now if these tradeoffs are what everyone wants we can do that, but I've had alot of trouble browsing sites like that in the past because I have to click "Next" 15 times to get to page 15 of a thread. But at this point, the question of clickability butts up against functional useability. If you were participating in a 30 page thread, do you really want to start either at page 1, or page 30, and click back one page at a time to page 15? Could that be solved by having a dropdown that lets you pick what page to go with, and keeping only a very minimal pagination set of links?

I'm really interested to know what members might want to see in actual practice when it comes to enhancing useability and what tradeoffs might be done to make it useable, so if you guys make mockups or even take the HTML and make a few sample screens for us the play with maybe we can figure out what to do.

Data Input

This part I'm really interested to hear more about too. What are examples of mobile sites with good input boxes and the like? As far as I can tell, all mobile sites have major trouble with text area boxes.

This message was edited on 2012-03-06T19:42:22-08:00.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Mar 06, 12 at 9:34pm (PST)
Redemption, if you're looking to get rid of things, here are a few ideas.

my.Neoforum: *Now that I made it down to the my.threads parts, the rest of the page could take after the layout there because most take up three lines anyways (and it would be fine if the folder icon and reply counts were removed)
forum view:
thread view: That's my quick input

Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 5:31pm (PST)
These are good ideas Nagare, and I'll try to get some of them implemented for the nf1.1.0 beta test.

Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 5:50pm (PST)
I've seen site implement many links into a mobile layout. I look at Neoseeker's layout and it's possible to efficiently and intuitively implement in a proper mobile layout.

-One thing in the threads list with many pages, instead of links, it should be a drop down list.
-Instead of fields that use text areas, use a message box. On browsers it would pop up but on mobile it would go straight to the keyboard screen instead of overlapping on the text area.
-Friends, consoles, profile. Those can be slideout menu position fixed to the top of the browser while scrolling.
-Line height needs to be like 1.5em. If the font is less than 12px about 5px more.

Mobile design is tricky especially because it's a new thing designers like myself am adjusting too.

Author:   melb victory
Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 6:25pm (PST)
1+ to a "jump to page" function

so much easier, especially when the page numbers go to 2 lines i have to zoom in sometimes to click the right page number

Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 10:11pm (PST)
quote DragoniteBallZ
-Instead of fields that use text areas, use a message box. On browsers it would pop up but on mobile it would go straight to the keyboard screen instead of overlapping on the text area.
Could you elaborate on this? What is the HTML tag for a message box?

Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 10:31pm (PST)
Not an HTML code. Similar to the code that makes the message boxes pop up for the quote/link/img/spoiler/etc Neotags below the reply box. It would be better on mobile if the reply just used that for the reply box.

Author:   Whelan
Date:   Mar 12, 12 at 12:31pm (PST)
Following on from this thread, kinda, but I think Mobile Mode could be improved by having an option to disable avatars while browsing in mobile mode, but then keeping them visible while on PC.

Or in turn, just remove avatars all together from mobile mode. I feel that they probably add pointless loading times for something that isn't important.

Date:   Mar 12, 12 at 12:38pm (PST)
Avatars need to go in mobile mode I think. Thing about mobile modes is you gotta omit the non essentials. Avatars and sigs could probably just be viewed in mobile profiles but not threads.

Date:   Mar 12, 12 at 7:58pm (PST)
Can users who have access to the beta site please look at the thread I just created about Mobile Mode testing? Thanks

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Mar 15, 12 at 9:25am (PST)
Redemption, could you consider adding the PM box back in for mobile mode? It's a lot more convenient to be able to check the counts on my.neo without having to go the PM page.

(Steven)

Author:   Memento Mori
Date:   Mar 15, 12 at 4:04pm (PST)
I've only briefly used mobile mode since the update, and I've not seen any improvement and the only thing I have noticed is actually less convenient for me than it was before.
quote DragoniteBallZ
Avatars need to go in mobile mode I think. Thing about mobile modes is you gotta omit the non essentials. Avatars and sigs could probably just be viewed in mobile profiles but not threads.
Sigs, sure. But I don't mind avatars. Option to switch them off would suit both camps.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.