Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: [Feedback] Improve Neoseeker Mobile - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/15/t1692362-feedback-improve-neoseeker-mobile/2.htm

Author:   Neon Rayquaza
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 11:55am (PST)
Subject:   re: [Feedback] Improve Neoseeker Mobile
-------------------------------------------
Aggreed. Sometimes you can hit the wrong markup tag or something. I wish you could veiw sigs too.

Author:   Fatal Error
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 12:39pm (PST)
There is also the issue of videos, which are ridiculously massive on mobile mode and won't work on most phones anyways due to lack of flash.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 2:26pm (PST)
Some links are ridiculously small and thus tricky to press in mobile mode. The "go to last post" link is one example (which is a tiny arrow in mobile mode). Something used so frequently use really needs to be easier to hit.

Author:   Akira_EX
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 2:39pm (PST)
shaaaaaaaaynee

are you actually being serious right now?

there are many sites with mobile modes that AREN'T a complete pain in the ass to use. that's because they realized it is completely inconvenient to "bring a laptop with you and connect it to your phone's internet".

neo mobile needs to be completely overhauled so that its easier to use on touch capable phones. while the current mobile site keeps the look and feel of the main site, the fact that it is not optimized for phone use when the usage of smartphones is prevalent in our society is a detriment. if I'm away from a computer and want to browse a site on my phone, why would I want to go to neoseeker when its site is terrible to use?

for a good mobile forum someone made, check out secondapps.com/neogaf. simple, easy to use with touch, optimized for mobile.

the mobile site doesn't even need to be as feature rich as the main site, but at the very least it should be able to facilitate basic functionality, which it doesnt do well right now

Author:   DragoniteBallZ
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 2:41pm (PST)
quote Whelan
DBZ, when posting, can't you just put it as portrait? I too struggle when it's landscape but I dot think much can be done tbh.

Also, agreed that some buttons are too small.

Typing in portrait mode is a pain though. This is another thing about the mobile site. its a pain tojust enter into any field. The mobile site is basically designed as a regular site in mobile resolution.

Author:   shayne
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 2:54pm (PST)
quote Akira_EX
shaaaaaaaaynee

there are many sites with mobile modes that AREN'T a complete pain in the ass to use. that's because they realized it is completely inconvenient to "bring a laptop with you and connect it to your phone's internet".

the mobile site doesn't even need to be as feature rich as the main site, but at the very least it should be able to facilitate basic functionality, which it doesnt do well right now
i was clearly exaggerating when i suggested haul a laptop on the bus but the main point i'm trying to underline still remains.
it's gonna be pretty difficult to make it better than it is without ruining the layout. if the links are too big, the site will look pretty aesthetically bad

personally i don't have a phone atm so i can't check your link, sorry. in my opinion, the site already /does/ assist basic functionality
you can make threads, you can post replies and you can pretty much do everything you could do on a computer :L

could you please elaborate on the the 'basic functionality' that is lacking in mobile mode??

Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 3:07pm (PST)
quote shaaaaaaaaynee
quote Akira_EX
shaaaaaaaaynee

i was clearly exaggerating when i suggested haul a laptop on the bus but the main point i'm trying to underline still remains.
it's gonna be pretty difficult to make it better than it is without ruining the layout. if the links are too big, the site will look pretty aesthetically bad

personally i don't have a phone atm so i can't check your link, sorry. in my opinion, the site already /does/ assist basic functionality
you can make threads, you can post replies and you can pretty much do everything you could do on a computer :L

could you please elaborate on the the 'basic functionality' that is lacking in mobile mode??

I think Akira's mainly saying that the usability needs to be improved. First and foremost, it needs to be useable — worry about aesthetics after. Also, I fail to see how increasing the size of numerous important links and buttons would wreck the layout.

Most of the functionality is there, but it's fiddly to use at the best of times.

Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 3:45pm (PST)
quote Aurora
Also, I fail to see how increasing the size of numerous important links and buttons would wreck the layout.
to be honest, i haven't been on neo in a while on an actual PHONE (i'm usually on an ipad, if not a computer) so maybe it's changed since i last checked
but from when i last tried mobile use with a phone, i just didn't see that much of a problem.

sure, it was a little slower to use for me because i'm so used to a comp, but it wasn't /terrible/
and it certainly wasn't at the fault of the layout, i personally found the link size to be fine.

unless they, for some reason, made it smaller?? which i highly doubt, so i think my opinion will remain the same
the layout won't be ruined if you increase the size a /bit/, but too big can clutter everything pretty bad

i just don't want to log on my ipad one day and the layout to be all messed when i thought it was fine all along :L

Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 4:11pm (PST)
iPad doesn't use mobile mode.

Author:   DragoniteBallZ
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 5:27pm (PST)
quote shaaaaaaaaynee
quote Aurora
Also, I fail to see how increasing the size of numerous important links and buttons would wreck the layout.
to be honest, i haven't been on neo in a while on an actual PHONE (i'm usually on an ipad, if not a computer) so maybe it's changed since i last checked
but from when i last tried mobile use with a phone, i just didn't see that much of a problem.

sure, it was a little slower to use for me because i'm so used to a comp, but it wasn't /terrible/
and it certainly wasn't at the fault of the layout, i personally found the link size to be fine.

unless they, for some reason, made it smaller?? which i highly doubt, so i think my opinion will remain the same
the layout won't be ruined if you increase the size a /bit/, but too big can clutter everything pretty bad

i just don't want to log on my ipad one day and the layout to be all messed when i thought it was fine all along :L

It is a problem on a small touch screen. The current mobile layout is sloppy and ridiculous to use on a small mobile touch screen. Links are way too small. It is difficult to use. As far as the look, from a web designers standpoint that is the least of any web sites problems when making a web design. There are many other websites out there that have a solid useable mobile design that looks good. You gotta be shittin me you think this mobile design is at all intuitive. If it was then I would not have made this thread.

Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 6:20pm (PST)
quote Aurora
iPad doesn't use mobile mode.
OH GOD i actually forgot about this...... no wonder ipad was so much easier to use..... oh dear
k never mind me lol i've not used phone mobile in ages. change what you want with hahaha

Author:   PokeGamer
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 4:25am (PST)
i use mobile mode 95% of the time im on neo. i have only found 1 or 2 things i dont like. #1 is no sigs. i would like to see them in the mobile mode. just re-sized. also i dont know if this is a bug or somethin but i cant see spoilers. i would like to see them...

Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 5:15am (PST)
quote PokeGamer1942
i cant see spoilers
that's definitely strange, you should be able to see them
spoilers are fairly common in the forums i visit, it'd be a big pain not to see them

Author:   Justin
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 5:24am (PST)
I use my Itouch all the time (and am using it right now), and I honestly don't have much to complain about. Navigation is pretty easy for me.

The only thing I dislike is the usage of flash or whatever on the new embedded YouTube videos. No longer loads videos for me.

Author:   Avalith
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 6:10am (PST)
quote PokeGamer1942
i use mobile mode 95% of the time im on neo. i have only found 1 or 2 things i dont like. #1 is no sigs. i would like to see them in the mobile mode. just re-sized. also i dont know if this is a bug or somethin but i cant see spoilers. i would like to see them...
The tricky part with this is that banners are hosted from all over the Internet. Not every banner is necessarily hosted in someone's gallery, so an auto resize script would theoretically be a performance hit because it would have to load all the images and then resize them. Someone feel free to correct me on this, but that's just what I'm seeing here. Mobile mode should be focused on speed and ease of use. If resized signatures would mean slower page loading times on mobile mode, I would rather them remain disabled.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.