Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Join the Neoseeker News Team! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/15/t1171249-join-neoseeker-news-team/

Author:   Redemption
Date:   Jun 10, 08 at 8:39pm (PST)
Subject:   Join the Neoseeker News Team!
-------------------------------------------

Join the news team!

Neoseeker is now looking for talented and dedicated volunteer news staff to help report on the daily happenings in games and technology. News that you write will appear on the Neoseeker homepage and in the news page.

If you are interested please read the requirements and then How to Apply.

What this position entails

Members of our news team write full length news articles that go beyond just repeating what is being said elsewhere. The news should contain that extra flair of personality and personal knowledge that give the stories more individuality. Writing should include intelligent, sometimes witty and tongue in cheek statements, extra background knowledge, and should have a writing style that engages the reader and keeps them interested.

Requirements

Read the following list before applying.

How to apply:

To apply, send a "mini-resume" and introductory information via PM to chautemoc or RabidChinaGirl, after which they may ask you for samples.

The mini resume should include:
  1. Your real name
  2. Your address
  3. Education sections
  4. Former/current employment
  5. Specific availability (mornings, weekends, year-round, etc)
The introductory information should include more information about your background and your interests in this area.

The news sample should be written in your own words, include a source URL, and should be about something that occurs on the day of your submission to staff.

References from Neoseeker

Although this is a volunteer position, we take it seriously and will supply job references for those who hold the position for greater than six months. Job references can take the form of formal letters on Neoseeker letterhead or phone references by chautemoc, RabidChinaGirl and/or Redemption.

***Serious applicants only please. We will reply to all applicants who fulfill the "How to apply" PROPERLY so please read this through carefully before submitting anything. If you are not a member of Neoseeker, register first. You have to have an account regardless to post in our news system so this is a first step.

This message was edited by a moderator on Jul 05 2010.

Author:   Evanster
Date:   Jun 10, 08 at 11:04pm (PST)
Subject:   Join the Neoseeker news team
Cool idea. Too bad I don't have good writing skills

Author:   Anonymous
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 12:46am (PST)
Subject:   re: Join the Neoseeker News Team!
Red, is this our idea coming to fruition?

Author:   Moonrise
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 12:48am (PST)
This is actually something I have an interest in but I'm not sure if time will be a factor for me.

Will this be an ongoing process, allowing me some time to determine if I can manage to actually post news on a consistent basis without greatly affecting the rest of my schedule?

Author:   Fire Fox
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 1:01am (PST)
I was going to apply, but

[...]A decent and interesting writing style. We are not looking for monotony, but flavour and engagement!
Killed it.

Author:   Anonymous
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 1:10am (PST)
quote Moonrise
This is actually something I have an interest in but I'm not sure if time will be a factor for me.

Will this be an ongoing process, allowing me some time to determine if I can manage to actually post news on a consistent basis without greatly affecting the rest of my schedule?

I would assume that if you proved worthy with your resume, and what you were reporting on wasn't 4 months old...as in actual news...there probably wouldn't be a deadline of sorts and I'm assuming that it would be on a voluntary basis.

Author:   Dark Dom
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 1:20am (PST)
Chad and I are both currently the newest members, joined a couple of weeks ago.

I look forward to seeing who else wants to join up.

Author:   Onvacation
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 1:22am (PST)
How come this is the only Member job you can get here which can go towards your Job resume in the future?

Author:   Dark Dom
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 1:24am (PST)
quote On Vacation
How come this is the only Member job you can get here which can go towards your Job resume in the future?
Because you're writing full articles that go on the Neoseeker Front Page, you're "working for Neoseeker" as such.

It's also extremely valuable for people like me that are interesting in aiming for Journalism as a career later in life.

Author:   Redemption
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 1:27am (PST)
quote On Vacation
Some mods and dedicated portal staff have actually put Neoseeker on their resume. I'm always happy to act as an informal reference for people I work with closely on the site (and have done so on various occasions). The news positions do make it easy for us to evaluate and offer more credible and official references since you're technically being published officially on Neoseeker and would be considered part of the news staff. We plan on doing the same for reviews actually.

quote Anonymous
Red, is this our idea coming to fruition?
I'd like to hope that more tech members sign on to help with the tech news .

quote Moonrise
We will be accepting applications as long as we have open positions - I'm guessing it means we're always accepting applications. The time commitment is a serious one so its a good idea that you're putting some thought into it - we cannot afford to put our time and effort into working with would be news writers who don't stick to their commitments.

Author:   Onvacation
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 1:27am (PST)
Oh ok, Well shouldn't Mods and Portal staff get the same treatment then? Or is it different in some way?

EDIT: Oh, well thats fair enough, I didn't think it counted as an actual job though xD

Author:   Tainted
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 4:06am (PST)
Subject:   Join the Neoseeker news team
This is a great opportunity for me, since I'm heavily considering a career in video game journalism. Thanks for the opportunity Red.

Author:   Chad
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 5:08am (PST)
First off, I wanna give some feedback on how the news page looks, since it was obviously updated sometime within the past 24 hours. The little "" with the number of comments and a link to them out to the side of it in the main box that shows the title and author of the article looks great!

Anyway, I'm glad others are going to be joining the news staff, as I can't wait to see what other member's articles look like. This might be a great chance for some of the GameGreppers that tend to put extra work in their article descriptions to continue showing off their skills onto neoseeker!

quote Redemption
We plan on doing the same for reviews actually.
I know of a member or two that write excellent user reviews, so I'm sure they are happy about this part.

Author:   Chronic Apathy
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 5:17am (PST)
What would the standard size for reviews be? This is something I'll look at doing as long as the work load isn't too heavy.

Author:   Chad
Date:   Jun 11, 08 at 5:37am (PST)
The whole review section editors is still in planning from what I've heard. Plus, size isn't completely important, as long as it is you write quality reviews that are very detailed (which should make them pretty long anyway), I'm sure that you'll have a great chance of being added. Of course, this is just my stand point, and actual guidelines/requirements will probably be included whenever the review editors section is added.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.