Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Diet & Exercise Newbie Guide - page 4

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/134/t1186107-diet-exercise-newbie-guide/4.htm

Author:   HBK619
Date:   Jul 19, 09 at 10:40pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Diet & Exercise Newbie Guide
-------------------------------------------
quote tidus04
Now I see that you talk about calories in the main thread and about them having the main impact to you losing weight but me personally I have always gone by the fat quantity in a product and always focus on having 50 grams at most a day in an attempt to lose some weight. Would you suggest I approach it a different way and maybe just focus on the calories over fat or possibly both?
Eating fat doesn't make you fat. That's one of the worst things ever created and perpetuated by the media and old wives tails. You should limit your intake of saturated fat yes, but unsaturated fat should be where 30% of your daily calories come from, and they are also essential for good health. It's very filling too, so you're likely to eat less afterwards. If anything, you probably need to cut back on your carb consumption, as it sounds like you've been eating a high carb, low fat diet. Upping your protein inatake will also help. The ideal macronutrient ratio is 40% carbs (unrefined sources), 30% protein (animal and varied) and 30% fat (unsaturated sources). Your focus should mainly be on eating sensible portions of quality foods and drinks, coupled with regular exercise, then the weight loss will take care of itself.

Author:   tidus04
Date:   Jul 20, 09 at 3:57pm (PST)
Alright. Well as you stated the fat was mainly where I focused on cutting out. I will now just focus on increasing my intake on that and focus on the carbohydrates consumption and lower it. What do you believe should be the limit I consume on a daily basis?

Exercise, well I am trying to go on a 3 mile walk each day (excluding what I do at work which does involve a good bit of walking now and then) and then two times a week I have quite a hard Football training session, would you say this is also enough or should I increase it?

Author:   xXxkingxXx
Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 9:28am (PST)
thanks for the list of food and advice but i was wondering, my dad is incredibly cheap and i wanted to know if canned/frozen fruits and vegetables made a difference or is it preferable if it's fresh? or does it just not matter?

Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 9:35am (PST)
quote tidus04
What do you believe should be the limit I consume on a daily basis?
Do you mean your total daily intake of calories? That depends a lot of your height, weight, activity level, metabolism and so on. If you posted your height and weight I could give you a rough estimate, and from there you could tweak it to ensure you're getting enough calories to support exercise (a lot of people eat barely enough to survive when trying to lose weight), but also at a calorie deficit (burn more than you consume, that's how you lose weight).

quote tidus04
Exercise, well I am trying to go on a 3 mile walk each day (excluding what I do at work which does involve a good bit of walking now and then) and then two times a week I have quite a hard Football training session, would you say this is also enough or should I increase it?
The volume doesn't need to be increased, just the intensity and type. Walking is more recovery than exercise. By that I mean, if you did a brutal training session Monday, you might go for a walk on Tuesday to help your body recover, I wouldn't really call it 'exercise.' Exercise should get your core temperature up (you'll feel hot and start sweating), and also make you breathe heavily. You should do things which fall into this guideline for 45 minutes, 3-4 days a weak. Weight training, sport, cardio all fall into this definition, so there's plenty of freedom here and room for creativity. Just keep in mind, most of your fat loss will come from eating healthy, but exercise will complement your improved diet well, and speed up the process.

quote xXxkingxXx
thanks for the list of food and advice but i was wondering, my dad is incredibly cheap and i wanted to know if canned/frozen fruits and vegetables made a difference or is it preferable if it's fresh? or does it just not matter?
Fresh is always best, but if your dad really won't budge, opt for frozen over canned, there's a big difference. Frozen aren't too bad, sometimes vegetables can be frozen without any loss of nutrients, but this isn't always the case. Canned is the worst, preservatives and other junk are added, the freshness is lost, and they lose most of their essential micronutrients. Food isn't something you should save money on (unless the savings come at no compromise to quality, like buying in bulk), convince him that there are many other less important things in life where money can be saved.

Author:   xXxkingxXx
Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 10:10am (PST)
it's exactly as i thought fresh is best,and trust me i've tried and tried to explain to him exactly what you said but he's convinced the cheaper and better tasting the food, the better for you. he thinks diets are a myth and that people change over time.
and one last question, with like the lean chicken, once again my dad won't splurge an extra dollar fifty on it and i gotta get the cheap bulk chicken breasts, is it basically the same if i remove all the skin/fat or is there more differences?

Author:   tidus04
Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 10:53am (PST)
quote HBK619
Do you mean your total daily intake of calories? That depends a lot of your height, weight, activity level, metabolism and so on. If you posted your height and weight I could give you a rough estimate, and from there you could tweak it to ensure you're getting enough calories to support exercise (a lot of people eat barely enough to survive when trying to lose weight), but also at a calorie deficit (burn more than you consume, that's how you lose weight).
Well my heigh at the moment is around the 5'10/5'11 mark with my weight averaging around the 172lbs (12.2 stone). My view in the long run is to possibly push this down to 11 stone with the view of slimming out (well I guess that's what everyone who wants to lose weight is aiming for).

quote HBK619
The volume doesn't need to be increased, just the intensity and type. Walking is more recovery than exercise. By that I mean, if you did a brutal training session Monday, you might go for a walk on Tuesday to help your body recover, I wouldn't really call it 'exercise.' Exercise should get your core temperature up (you'll feel hot and start sweating), and also make you breathe heavily. You should do things which fall into this guideline for 45 minutes, 3-4 days a weak. Weight training, sport, cardio all fall into this definition, so there's plenty of freedom here and room for creativity. Just keep in mind, most of your fat loss will come from eating healthy, but exercise will complement your improved diet well, and speed up the process.
I understand.

I shall try and focus more on doing running instead of walking now and push this in to 3 days a week if I can and the maybe on one or two of them just walk it off to get me into pushing myself a bit more. As for weights, by building your muscles are you in fact becoming more fit because of this? I'm sure the answer to this is yes but I've only seen the idea as a way to build strength > fitness.

The best process into become better at stamina for running would be to say run 5 minuets, walk 1 and then run again for another 5? I have a poor stamina so this is something I would need to improve on.

Author:   Misty
Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 11:00am (PST)
I'd recommend running at a relatively even, slow pace and building your stamina that way. My old track coach told me when I was trying to build stamina that it's completely fine if you find you need to walk as much as 50% of the time to start with when learning to run, as long as you challenge yourself. Keep the pace hard enough to make you break a sweat, but easy enough that you don't get tired out too quickly, and try to run as much as you can but don't feel bad if you need to walk for parts.

Author:   Taio
Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 10:19pm (PST)
quote tidus04
As for weights, by building your muscles are you in fact becoming more fit because of this? I'm sure the answer to this is yes but I've only seen the idea as a way to build strength > fitness.
if you keep rests between weight sets short (say under a minute), so your heart rate stays high, then you'll increase your fat loss and general fitness. it's by no means the best way of burning fat, but you can kinda kill two birds with one stone if you're looking to build muscle

Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 10:43pm (PST)
Furthermore, lifting weights increases testosterone levels in the body, which helps to burn fat. Hence why having a fat stomach is a sign of low testosterone. As mentioned, weights are a good workout too, as you'll find if you do a few good sessions. They'll also help your body composition so you don't look like a beanpole once you've lost weight. You don't sound that fat at that height/weight, so it's probably not so much a matter of losing heaps of weight as it is losing some fat and packing on some muscle.

Author:   The Supreme Extreme
Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 4:38am (PST)
I have a question, why isn't whole milk advised?

Author:   Tumbles
Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 4:39am (PST)
It should be.

Author:   Tumbles
Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 4:39am (PST)
I just copied that list because it was pretty good. If you're looking to gain weight whole milk is great.

Author:   The Supreme Extreme
Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 4:44am (PST)
Ok excellent. I am 16, 6'0, 170 and want to gain muscle for baseball next season.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but how often can someone "break" their healthy diet and not be effected by it too much?

And is eating JUST almonds or cashews for lunch alright? Because I am too lazy to make a lunch so I usually just bring something prepackaged or fruit during the schoolyear.

Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 7:45am (PST)
quote The Supreme Extreme
I know this sounds like a dumb question, but how often can someone "break" their healthy diet and not be effected by it too much?
That obviously depends on the individual, what you consider 'breaking,' how often you digress, how far you digress and so forth. Eat the right stuff 90% of the time and you'll see great results. Eat it 80% of the time and you'll see good results and so on.

quote The Supreme Extreme
And is eating JUST almonds or cashews for lunch alright? Because I am too lazy to make a lunch so I usually just bring something prepackaged or fruit during the schoolyear.
Despite how good nuts are, they don't provide everything your body needs from a meal. They cover you for fat quite well, but you need some more carbs and protein, as well as essential micronutrients. Once again, the payoff from your extra effort will be in your results.

Author:   Turkagent
Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 1:18pm (PST)
So, I notice you didn't cover ceral. I know a healthy nut cyclist friend of mine would always talk about how the body doesn't get the required amount of fiber from the daily diet. So I usually get cerals that have high fiber content. Is this a good idea for breakfast or am I wasting my time here?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.