Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: FFT vs. FF7(story-wise) - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1098/t88980-fft-vs-ff7-story-wise/3.htm

Author:   Vormav
Date:   Jun 19, 02 at 4:13pm (PST)
Subject:   re: FFT vs. FF7(story-wise)
-------------------------------------------
That's a good point, Timu. I think that if Square had made the story in FFT more clear, perhaps if they added more detail about the royal family, a less intelligent player, or a one timer, would catch on alot faster.

Author:   RPG_Master44
Date:   Jun 19, 02 at 5:44pm (PST)
Well not taking anything away from FF7 it too had a complex story in some ways but you have to think why is it that more people like FF7 (yeah don't argue you hardcore FFT fans this is true) then FFT. One thing come to mind is Aeris death. Yes this one thing made you more interested in the game then ever. Square did a masterful job in connecting you with the life of every character so you could relate to them and love the story even more. So the game built up the relationship with Cloud and Aeris showing them grow closer and then BAM!! here comes Sephiroth and kills Aeris everything at this point was perfect the music the scene with Cloud mad at Sephiroth the words and then Cloud letting Aeris go in the water...perfect. This one scene alone made the game. It developed a hatred a passion to kill Sephiroth and get your revenge. This made the game great it is sad that killing someone makes a game famous but its not just killing it was everything that went into it to draw you in emotionally. Now this is not all later on in the game when Cloud and Tifa were in the Lifestream, and they discover who Cloud is....this was perfect its like everything that happened in the game came together in this one point where you fully understand the game. All that was left after this was killing Sephiroth and that made the game so sweet once you got your revenge and left you satisfied. This was FFT's downfall it never got you connected with any other character other then Ramza.

This is why I believe FF7 is the greatest no matter how much I love FFT it will never be better then FF7 in my book sorry peoples this is my opinion.

Date:   Jun 20, 02 at 2:28pm (PST)
That is very true, but the overall meaning of FFT, shall always prevail over FF7. You have to understand, it's the only game to display the corruption within Europe that was so rampant in it's counterpart, Ivalice. Though no one truly connects with the characters, every character is very important in that they form the pieces in a brilliant epic that exposes the decadent aristocrats, the hardly better revolutionaries, and the devil himself using the conflict to live again. It may not be as emotional as FF7, but it's far more superior when you look at the big picture.

Date:   Jun 20, 02 at 2:46pm (PST)
quote Vormav
That is very true, but the overall meaning of FFT, shall always prevail over FF7. You have to understand, it's the only game to display the corruption within Europe that was so rampant in it's counterpart, Ivalice. Though no one truly connects with the characters, every character is very important in that they form the pieces in a brilliant epic that exposes the decadent aristocrats, the hardly better revolutionaries, and the devil himself using the conflict to live again. It may not be as emotional as FF7, but it's far more superior when you look at the big picture.
That is true as well but you, me and a few others in this forum are some of the only people that can appreciate that. Square took a big step and it did pay off, but in reality people will relate more to FF7s story more. FF7 broke through the RPG barrier so to speak and made RPGs a leading game style that many new gamers who were unfamiliar with the SNES RPGs and Nintendo RPGs could now understand and appreciate. FFT broke through the line of the harsh cruelty of the world while most games went for that happy ending. FF7 was much the same ending with Holy believing that humans were bad for the world therefor killing them off was a big dose of reality that many gamers did not like because it wasn't the happy ending they hoped for. This relates the 2 games in some way. FF7 is better do to the fact that more people have played it and have different opinions of FFT that they can't appreciate.

Date:   Jun 20, 02 at 2:54pm (PST)
Very true, though sad, since I wish that my fave game of all time was viewed by a wider audience. Has anyone else a philisophically defining opinion on the matter?

Author:   Timu
Date:   Jun 20, 02 at 4:37pm (PST)
Heh, I already gave mine, but give me awhile. I'm sure before too long I can give another earth-shattering opinion on the greatness of these two games, story and all. Later.

Author:   Bloodsin
Date:   Jun 20, 02 at 6:00pm (PST)
Actually there is a good discussion of this in the Archive. Second page halfway down called "How do FFT and FF7 fit together that I think you folks might enjoy. Check it out.

Date:   Sep 01, 02 at 5:50am (PST)
::bump::

(Another nice topic....also since I Mod both forums so I am interested in seeing the opinions. Be sure to read everyone's opinions from the first page on before posting.)

Author:   Mako Cloud
Date:   Sep 01, 02 at 6:08am (PST)
Well, even though I loved many aspects of FFT more than that of FF7, such as battle system, job classes, etc, it didn't appeal to me in story is much as it did in FF7. The storyline of FFT was great, however, I wished it to be longer, and possibly less predictable in some cases. You knew most of the time when a battle was going to happen, as well as many bad guys doing the same thing. However, there was a good side, as the story had many twists to it, for example when you discover the Cardinal was against you all along, which I found surprising.

Final Fantasy 7 had a nice, solid, hardecore storylines. The greatest villain was in it, making the story better. There are so many things to talk about when it comes to the FF7 storylines, such as the ending with Aeris(With her praying), the events with Zack, many many other things. It was a tragedy and drama game all at once, making it compel you to play on. This is only my opinion, most likely different from others.

Date:   Sep 01, 02 at 6:16am (PST)
quote Mako Cloud
Well, even though I loved many aspects of FFT more than that of FF7, such as battle system, job classes, etc, it didn't appeal to me in story is much as it did in FF7. The storyline of FFT was great, however, I wished it to be longer, and possibly less predictable in some cases. You knew most of the time when a battle was going to happen, as well as many bad guys doing the same thing. However, there was a good side, as the story had many twists to it, for example when you discover the Cardinal was against you all along, which I found surprising.

Final Fantasy 7 had a nice, solid, hardecore storylines. The greatest villain was in it, making the story better. There are so many things to talk about when it comes to the FF7 storylines, such as the ending with Aeris(With her praying), the events with Zack, many many other things. It was a tragedy and drama game all at once, making it compel you to play on. This is only my opinion, most likely different from others.
Well if you have seen my opinions earlier you will see I agree with the story part but I did not find FFT as predicting as you say. I thought it always kept you guessing. Yes a bit straight forward at first but you could never predict what would happen after the next scene.

(LOL I remember you IMing me about the Cardinal thing a while back lol)

Author:   RPG_Guru44
Date:   Sep 05, 02 at 9:52am (PST)
FF7 is the greatest RPG ever created. Nothing can compare to it's story. Well I guess you can say FFT is the bst strategy/RPG game out. But FF7 is better.

Date:   Sep 08, 02 at 12:51am (PST)
quote RPG_Guru44
FF7 is the greatest RPG ever created. Nothing can compare to it's story. Well I guess you can say FFT is the bst strategy/RPG game out. But FF7 is better.
Come on thats not a opinion worthy of a cousin of mine. Put some more detail in it or you are not worthy of that name lol.

Author:   finalfantasyfiend
Date:   Sep 10, 02 at 5:39pm (PST)
quote RPG_Master44
Well not taking anything away from FF7 it too had a complex story in some ways but you have to think why is it that more people like FF7 (yeah don't argue you hardcore FFT fans this is true) then FFT. One thing come to mind is Aeris death. Yes this one thing made you more interested in the game then ever. Square did a masterful job in connecting you with the life of every character so you could relate to them and love the story even more. So the game built up the relationship with Cloud and Aeris showing them grow closer and then BAM!! here comes Sephiroth and kills Aeris everything at this point was perfect the music the scene with Cloud mad at Sephiroth the words and then Cloud letting Aeris go in the water...perfect. This one scene alone made the game. It developed a hatred a passion to kill Sephiroth and get your revenge. This made the game great it is sad that killing someone makes a game famous but its not just killing it was everything that went into it to draw you in emotionally. Now this is not all later on in the game when Cloud and Tifa were in the Lifestream, and they discover who Cloud is....this was perfect its like everything that happened in the game came together in this one point where you fully understand the game. All that was left after this was killing Sephiroth and that made the game so sweet once you got your revenge and left you satisfied. This was FFT's downfall it never got you connected with any other character other then Ramza.

This is why I believe FF7 is the greatest no matter how much I love FFT it will never be better then FF7 in my book sorry peoples this is my opinion.
Well said. The points you mentioned did make the game, but the entire game in my opinion was perfect, with only small flaws. The memorable storyline, learning how to form the perfect combo with hidden materia, learning more about your characters made the game. Although I love FFT, it did not do that. The storylines was one of the best, but you didn't connect with the characters. The game was built on the Job System, and that both helped and hurt the game. I say FF7 any day.

Author:   SephiR_O
Date:   Jan 27, 03 at 8:47pm (PST)
quote Vormav
Wow thats pretty deep.... I went through the game twice and I didnt realize / fully comprehand the story...Does anyone know where I can get depth synopsis or maybe complete story of the game.. I played through it but the story is just to damn hard to get... any help would be awsome...

Date:   Jan 27, 03 at 11:22pm (PST)
Hmm tough to really give the whole story. My suggestion would be keep playing it. I know I enjoyed it more learning it rather then being told. I never completely understood it till my 5th time beating it.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.