Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: FFT vs. FF7(story-wise) - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1098/t88980-fft-vs-ff7-story-wise/2.htm

Author:   Vormav
Date:   Jun 16, 02 at 11:09pm (PST)
Subject:   re: FFT vs. FF7(story-wise)
-------------------------------------------
Well, you do have to make a few. Like when you have to decide whether to save Algus, or only destroy the Death Corps. Knights.

But, your point is well taken, some may find it troublesome, or relieving not having to fill in the conversation many times, or make any real decisions in the game.

Author:   RPG_Master44
Date:   Jun 17, 02 at 4:40am (PST)
I actually lie making decisions it provides great replay value like for instance in FF9 there were many parts to make deciions it made me play the game 13 times to find all of the possible outcomes.

Author:   Nova Knight
Date:   Jun 17, 02 at 4:05pm (PST)
Now you've gone and done it. Put 2 of my favorite games against each other like that. It takes an evil person to do something like this. Well I have spent well over 150 hours on both games (sad isn't it?)and I liked both of them alot. I think that the plot of Tactics was probably better than that of 7 because it involved more character developement. Plus it takes you like half way through FF7 to finally figure out exactly what is going on. Thats just my opinion though.

Date:   Jun 17, 02 at 4:09pm (PST)
quote Nova Knight
Now you've gone and done it. Put 2 of my favorite games against each other like that. It takes an evil person to do something like this. Well I have spent well over 150 hours on both games (sad isn't it?)and I liked both of them alot. I think that the plot of Tactics was probably better than that of 7 because it involved more character developement. Plus it takes you like half way through FF7 to finally figure out exactly what is going on. Thats just my opinion though.
Yes, I am very evil.

Once again, and this ties in with the lack of conversation fill-ins, the gameplay could exist without the storyline. In the game, you never fall into a situation, in which it's YOUR JOB to advance, or even alter the story...

Date:   Jun 17, 02 at 4:15pm (PST)
quote Nova Knight
You think thats sad I have beaten both game a combined over 50 times now that is sad truly sad.

Date:   Jun 17, 02 at 4:16pm (PST)
Yeah, being able to contribute to the outcome of a situation with your character is a good thing I think. But sometimes I get frustrated with not knowing what would have happened if I had done things differently. I replayed FF10 just so that I could win the first blitzball game to see how people would respond. And the whole date thing at the gold saucer in FF7...I still have yet to see what its like with Yuffie. Yeah, I hate being a perfectionist.

Date:   Jun 17, 02 at 4:24pm (PST)
FF7 supporters do have that valid point. The story in FF7 was certainly more alterable than in FFT. However, I still believe that FFT's story had 10x more class.

Author:   Timu
Date:   Jun 17, 02 at 5:47pm (PST)
You mean 10x more classes....HAHA....I'm funny....err, wait, no I'm not. Sorry...I'm going back to my cage now. Later.

p.s. heh, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Date:   Jun 18, 02 at 12:46am (PST)
quote Timu
You mean 10x more classes....HAHA....I'm funny....err, wait, no I'm not. Sorry...I'm going back to my cage now. Later.

p.s. heh, sorry, I couldn't resist.
Don't worry Timu, that joke had more class than 10x the classes that can be found in my classic copy of the classy FFT. When I get the GBA version I'll play it in class!!! WHEE!!! ...sorry, couldn't resist either, I'll go back to MY cage now.

Date:   Jun 18, 02 at 5:26am (PST)
Man....where do they find these people? It's like living at a really cheap circus or something. Just kidding guys lol.

Date:   Jun 18, 02 at 5:37am (PST)
No your right Nova they are freaks very strange and weird freaks but once again this is going off the topic andwe don't want to be scolded by Bloodsin again now do we. Well I said before in the FF7 forum that I thik FF7 has a slightly better story I guess you could say the FFT was fo more of the mature audience. They are both great games so its hard to choose.

Date:   Jun 18, 02 at 6:57pm (PST)
quote RPG_Master44
No your right Nova they are freaks very strange and weird freaks but once again this is going off the topic andwe don't want to be scolded by Bloodsin again now do we. Well I said before in the FF7 forum that I thik FF7 has a slightly better story I guess you could say the FFT was fo more of the mature audience. They are both great games so its hard to choose.
Heh, we're freaks, lol. Anyway, I don't know about that mature audiences thing. I've played the game since I was 12. I think FFT's greatest weakness (when compared to FF7) is it's bad translation. It literally takes beating the game 3x before you truly understand every little detail in the story. Even with this time, being my 6th time through, I discovered some things that I never knew before! FF7's storyline was easier to follow, attracting a steady and wider audience.

Date:   Jun 19, 02 at 5:31am (PST)
Yeah I guess thats true about the translation although FF7 was not perfectly translated either just a little better, don't feel bad Vormav last time I beat it (my 21st time beating it) I found some new things in the story. Everytime you play you always find something new it seems.

Date:   Jun 19, 02 at 3:27pm (PST)
quote RPG_Master44
Yeah I guess thats true about the translation although FF7 was not perfectly translated either just a little better, don't feel bad Vormav last time I beat it (my 21st time beating it) I found some new things in the story. Everytime you play you always find something new it seems.
Yeah, I just noticed that Boco the Chocobo, the one you find in the 2nd Chapter, is the same Chocobo you meet near the Windmill in the first when you're fighting Wiegraf!

Author:   Timu
Date:   Jun 19, 02 at 3:45pm (PST)
You will always find new things when playing a game again because each time you will be looking from a different point of view when you play it. I think that FF7's story was very mature as well, but you had to be able to read betweent the lines to see it. Sure, the swearing and bleeped out words detracted a bit from Square's attempt to add realism to the game, but it was still a good story. The only problem is, I think, Square knew that some people would not follow the Teen rating that the game got, so it made some parts of the story, the racier parts, more obscure so only a more mature person would get it. Whereas in Tactics the whole damn thing is obscure, so you have to play it numerous times to understand it. Not a problem though, because Tactics is one of the greatest games of all time. And on a side note, yes, I am weird...but do you think me weirder that I have never beaten FF7? I have played it about five times now, and ever time I get to the end, and than lose interest and eventually end up deleting the game to save space, so I have never actually beaten the game...heh, odd eh? Later all.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.