Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Which Job you put in Ramza?? - page 13

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1098/t78366-which-job-you-put-in-ramza/13.htm

Author:   lady_lede
Date:   Oct 09, 06 at 12:52pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Which Job you put in Ramza??
-------------------------------------------
quote Gamexpert
quote lady_lede
Yeah, Hamedo only works against other human characters if i remember correctly ><.

Blade Grasp on the other hand is far superior, since it gives you a dodge percentage equal to your Brave. It also activates against Counter Attack and Hamedo, though its drawback is that it only activates once against an attack, meaning you can still be hit at least once by a unit with Two Swords.

Anyway my Ramza only moved to learn certain abilities, then it was right back to Squire ^^.

Guts
Jump
Blade Grasp
Two Swords
Move +3
OMG IT'S LADY_LEDE!!!

Long time no see old friend.

Guts and Jump...Is ideal.

Ramza the Lancer is extremely useful.

Hahaha, hi GameExpert ^^ It has been a while hasnt it! Good to see you too xD

Ah yes, another good secondary for Ramza is Punch Art, since he'll be among your stronger characters, his Chakra will make him a valuable support character as well as frontline attacker.

Author:   Shadow Rue
Date:   Oct 09, 06 at 11:49pm (PST)
I never saw the point of Punch arts as a secondary skill. Way I see it, if you're gonna have a bare knuckle fighter, just make them a damn monk.

Date:   Oct 11, 06 at 8:17am (PST)
Its not just for their fighting abilities, Chakra is perhaps one of the greatest skills in the game.

Author:   UltimatehunterX
Date:   Oct 11, 06 at 8:14pm (PST)
well, I think i'd go for someone who mastered throw item and items better.

Author:   Sigurd55
Date:   Oct 11, 06 at 9:01pm (PST)
but punch art has several good long range skills as well wave fist and punch art , additionaly chakra revive and stigma magic all of which kick ass pretty much you have one of the most versatile characters the game can offer couple that with the tank that a lancer can be and youve got a wickedly formidable main character

Author:   Vitamin J
Date:   Oct 11, 06 at 9:06pm (PST)
My Ramza has been a geomancer since LV.05
(He is at LV.58 now)

Heres his equipment and (How I got it or why I dont have Better.)

Platina Shield (Steal)
Diamond Sword (Shop)
Golden Hairpin (Invitation)
Black Robe (Invitation)
Diamond Armlet (Shop)

Abilties

Elemental (Of course)
Summon Magic (JP scroll Glitch)(Summoner)
Counter (Switched back to monk)
Half MP (JP Scroll Glitch)(Summoner)
Move MP UP (Jp Scroll Glitch)(Oracle)

Date:   Oct 12, 06 at 1:35am (PST)
quote UltimatehunterX
well, I think i'd go for someone who mastered throw item and items better.
Dude, totally. Item is such a valuable ability. It turns any character into a great healer who can heal themselves at a second's notice, or turn them into an outstanding offensive against undead creatures.

Punch Arts only has a few good abilities. Mainly the healing ones; Chakra, Stigma Magic, and Revive. The offensive abilities only seem to work well when you're a monk.
As for Geomancers... when I first got them, I LOVED them. I thought they rocked. Back in the beginning of the game when geomancers could actually do SOME damage... Then they just become worthless at the end, where elemental does crap damage, their status effects never work, and their only redeeming point is they're decent combatants.

Author:   Sigurd55
Date:   Oct 12, 06 at 3:57am (PST)
to have item be effective you additionaly need throw item which requires you to tie up your support ability as well additionaly what item heals both hp and mp at the same time besides elixir? how about the ability chakra. And does elixir have the potential to work on up to five people in one turn? No i didnt think so . The worst flaw of the monk abilities is that they are quite dependant on hieght but the sheer versatility balances this out quite well . Also items cost money and elixirs are hard to get and you also need to constantly make sure you arent running out of something . . . sooooo in the long run Punch art is incredibly better -Esp. When you consider that sometimes wave fist and earth slash are a real life saver . . .

Date:   Oct 13, 06 at 2:25am (PST)
Surely you jest, silly guest!

You don't need throw item. And maybe it's just me and I rarely drag any mages or other magic casters along that use excessive amounts of MP, but I rarely use ethers, and I only save elixirs for huge battles. And you'd be surprised how an X-potion can turn a few table.
Items cost money? Don't be a lazy crap. Just fight a few battles and earn some, ya mook.

Date:   Oct 13, 06 at 6:14am (PST)
The guest makes a good point to the usefulness of items. To make them effective, you need to have either a Chemist using them (because of their range), or extremly high Movement. Dont even bother equipping Throw Item on Ramza since you will seriously minimise his damage capability. However, if you dont have decent range you will find yourself in situations where you cant reach a member to provide healing.

I also think that the usefulness of the item command is negated by the Auto-Potion reaction because of the healing it provides, and also the rare occasions in which you will use a Phoenix Feather can easily be countered since it will revive a character with minimal health leaving them open to attack.

Its also a good idea to have mages in your team, because they provide better healing for the group than a single person equipped with "Item". As for the Ether problem, you can always use Chakra to replenish their MP ^^

Anyway, what im getting at is that Ramza being a decently strong character will be able to prove better healing (Both HP and MP)and damage with the Punch Art skill-set equipped. While it is nice to revive and heal characters (Both of which you can do with Punch Art anyway), Item doesnt offer you any damage skills except to undead who have a decent chance of resurrecting.

Date:   Oct 13, 06 at 11:57pm (PST)
You're missing like... everything.

I give everyone in my party the item ability. If things get hairy, I have them fall back and they can heal themselves, and keep themselves alive until backup arrives.

Phoenix Downs are great. Why? Because something I noticed: They will ALWAYS work. Raise, Raise 2, hell, even your precious punch arts Revive ability can MISS. And missing when you need a character to be up and ready to defend is quite a pickle. A phoenix down will bring back a character, said character's turn comes, character uses an x-potion, BAM! Back in the game.

Better healing? uh, yeah right. Cure is instant, but it BARELY recovers as much as a potion. Cure 2 and up take too long to work.
Or, because I have money to buy lots of Hi-ethers, I will use them instead of Chakra.

Item is also a valuable skill because you can get a lot of EXP and JP just for using items. You get over 60 JP for using a potion if you have Gained JP Up. Not a bad deal, if you ask me. Just stand around knocking back a few potions, and BAM! Easy levelling up for your class, whatever it may be.

The whole point behind killing undead with items is that it is QUICK and EFFECTIVE. The more characters with items ability, the quicker you can breeze through undead. I can clear just about any battle in an undead-infested area like Zigolis Swamp or so in under 2 minutes, easily. They resurrect? Ok, so what? Shove another Phoenix down in his throat and move on.

You guys severly underestimate item as a secondary ability, and severly overestimate Punch Arts.

Date:   Oct 14, 06 at 12:41pm (PST)
Yes but, correct me if im wrong...this is a secondary ability for Ramza. Not your entire party ^^

"Item" is a waste of time on Ramza, he will benifit more as an attacker than as a watered down healer. As will allies around him since Chakra heals on a cross pattern radius as opposed to a single character like the Item skills. Chakra is also a free heal for both MP/HP and doesnt hurt Undead allies or those under the effect of Zombie. It also will give you decent JP when used, even if you dont heal anything ^^.

Undead are not everywhere in the game so having the slot for "Item" is usually quite pointless. Using an item will take up an extra turn allowing the enemy to not only get closer to your troops, but also they will have an extra chance to attack, assign spells etc.

Phoenix Downs may indeed work everytime, (though they are ment to have a small rate of faliure) but will the resurrect skills if you take the time to prepare your characters beforehand. Raise and Raise 2 will work better depending on your target's Faith, you also get Protection spells like Wall which Items will not offer you.

"Item" without the use of the Throw Item skill will also leave your character vunerable to being swarmed due to the poor range. This will lead to a character being singled out by the AI and destroyed.

Author:   UltimatehunterX
Date:   Oct 14, 06 at 8:04pm (PST)
Look!!! You cannot create a team without iten ability. ITS COMPLETELY STUPID TO GO AROUND RAING FAITH AND MAGIC JUST YOU CAN GO WAIT A FEW TURN TO CAST CURAGA!!!! Thats why we use Au-to potion and X-potions. You can heal as a reaction. Thats way better than regenerate and stuff like those!!!! Chakra cannot save you in all situations. The best way to crate an character is by giving him his attack abilities as primary and having item as secondary. Only one of my characters is actually not equiped with that. Chemists rule!!! Chemist as healers have more range than monks. And Chemists do know how to fight. Do not underestimate them. My chemist does about 300 damage with his gun( from afar) while you would go around using earth slash (5o damage)

Author:   Delitaisgood
Date:   Oct 14, 06 at 8:10pm (PST)
hunterx brings up a good point , although in certain cases cure 3 is better , throw item is just a more versatile skill over all.

Date:   Oct 15, 06 at 2:35am (PST)
quote UltimatehunterX
Look!!! You cannot create a team without iten ability. ITS COMPLETELY STUPID TO GO AROUND RAING FAITH AND MAGIC JUST YOU CAN GO WAIT A FEW TURN TO CAST CURAGA!!!! Thats why we use Au-to potion and X-potions. You can heal as a reaction. Thats way better than regenerate and stuff like those!!!! Chakra cannot save you in all situations. The best way to crate an character is by giving him his attack abilities as primary and having item as secondary. Only one of my characters is actually not equiped with that. Chemists rule!!! Chemist as healers have more range than monks. And Chemists do know how to fight. Do not underestimate them. My chemist does about 300 damage with his gun( from afar) while you would go around using earth slash (5o damage)
You make nice points, but i have to stress, this is for a Job for Ramza, not your entire party. There is very little use for having Ramza as a Chemist as he is far better as a frontline attacker.

And you dont need to go around casting Faith every turn since you can build it up permanently, you wont need to worry about such things.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.