Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Altec Lansing 641 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t343871-altec-lansing-641/

Author:   ethelb
Date:   Feb 04, 04 at 12:11am (PST)
Subject:   Altec Lansing 641
-------------------------------------------
Does anybody know if there was any success in getting some kind of an explanation why this model seems to have an inherent defect in the circuit board? I have read old messages about this and I did not find anymore update. I guess the problem came later in my own speakers compared to the rest. I tried to call their technical support but all they ask from you is your phone number and name with a promise to call you within the day. But they never did! And I called twice!

Author:   mvw2
Date:   Feb 04, 04 at 10:37pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Altec Lansing 641
I e-mailed them a couple months ago when my sub went out on me, nothing. I'd fix it myself if they'd just say what was wrong with it. Oh, by the way, I recently saw the 641 sub under the Dell name and with a THX logo, no front cover, black, otherwise identical, different satalites though, interesting... I wonder if we could get a replacement Dell one. Altec Lansing is very slow with e-mails. The only one that got a reply was a little over a year ago when I was inquiring about the 641s in the first place. I asked a technical question. I got a respose a month later that said it was being forwarded to someone else(I guess someone who would know the answer). After that, I got no additional e-mail response.

Date:   Feb 05, 04 at 11:48am (PST)
I give up but I won't go without a fight. FROM NOW ON, I WILL NEVER, EVER, BUY ANY PRODUCT FROM ALTEC LANSING . This company is a snob. They think they are a big company and all of us small penniless consumers have nothing to do with their success. If they really cared, they would have better customer service! I will go for Bose instead. My friend has this expensive set of speakers and subwoofer and she had it forever and it's still making beautiful sound. Worth every penny.

Date:   Feb 05, 04 at 9:26pm (PST)
I already responded to this in the other post, so I won't again. Hmm, Bose? I like what Bose puts out. They've got a nice little 2.1 set that is pretty impressive for what little it is. They've had a 2 piece set that Best Buy has had on thier shelves for I don't know how many years. For two little speakers, they are very nice. Now Bose came out with a sand alone sub as well. Paired up, they might sound nice together. The 2.1 set that they have is pretty impressive but a little too small for me. I'd really like to see a larger set from them, 4.1, 5.1, something like that. Some 3" or 4" full range drivers sats with a 3/4" or 1" tweet, a nice 8" sub and some decent power. My only gripe, same for Klipsch and even for the EV's I have now, the big companies price their speakers about double what they should. I'd like to buy a pair of any of these company's speakers, but their price is outrageous. I only got my EV SonicXS because I could get them off eBay cheap.

Date:   Feb 06, 04 at 1:50am (PST)
Surprise, surprise! They responded to me in less than a week. Here's what they have to say:

Dear Ethel;

If your speakers are past our one year warranty, the only option we would be able to offer you is to take your speakers to a repair shop to see if they can identify the internal part that smells burnt and to see if they would be able to repair it. It would not be an Altec Lansing part, but at least it would be able to work.
We unfortunately do not repair our speakers, only replace them if they are still within warranty and since the 641 model has been discontinued since January of last year we do not have anymore that you would be able to purchase.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Altec Lansing Customer support.

I guess what really frustrates me is the fact that I never really enjoyed my speaker as much as I should have. Had I known it had a shelf life of 2 years, I would have used it more often! Anyway, thanks for that cool-headed analysis of a very hot topic for me. I was actually fuming when I wrote those threads. Now I am resigned to the fact that I just have to dish out another couple hundred bucks and cross my fingers it would last as long as I hope. I still would not look out for Altec Lansing speakers until I get over the trauma I went through.

Date:   Feb 06, 04 at 3:44pm (PST)
You're lucky. Successful in getting a response is not something I've been when e-mailing Altec Lansing. One year warranty? Hmm, I'm past that now, but it did die before one year, and I did contact them about it(no response) under the one year warranty. I'm not sure what they'd do about that.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Feb 06, 04 at 5:51pm (PST)
Most companies run with a limited 1 year warranty these days actually. It's like the new standard that they shifted down to. If you pick up a longer warranty it doesn't go through them it goes through the place that you buy it at. They handle the situation from that point on and issue replacements on their judgement call (usually trying to screw you over with a bad/cheap company)

It sounds like there isn't much to lose if you do experiment on your own with a repair. My system is still running but I have it running through a ups system and always have headphones plugged in before I turn the power on. =/ it seems to dampen the load.

The VS4121 system seems to be free of the trouble that the 641 encountered. Also if I remember right, the 621's didn't have the issue either. It seems that at lower power they did fine it's just when they tried to create a beast they failed in the amp department. >_<

Author:   cobra66
Date:   Feb 12, 04 at 4:37am (PST)
i i have this little troble with my 641 the sub amp wont work the troble seem to come from the chip but i dont know any replacement chip !!! can you help me

Date:   Feb 12, 04 at 11:29am (PST)
A lot has been written about this problem of yours. All of those threads ended up with "sorry, you just have to buy a new set of speakers". That's what I did and I tried Klipsch Promedia 2.1. The sound is not as good as the Altec Lansing 641 but there's no point of comparison because they are two different kinds of speakers; one is a 2-channel and the other one is a 4-channel. There's nothing better than more channels. I wrote back to Altec Lansing Customer Service who kindly responded to me sooner than the others experienced to tell them about people like you and me who have to part sadly with our beloved subs rather prematurely. And I asked if they ever thought of recalling their defective product because it has to be a design/part fault because I took care of my own speakers very carefully and it still died on me. No reply yet...I guess never...RECALL is an expensive word.

Date:   Feb 12, 04 at 10:16pm (PST)
No, defect in manufacturing is an expensive word. It means lawsuits, lol. It's all a matter of if they knew they were creating a defective product and still sold it. Well I'm not sure if they need to be aware of it. That and how they compare to the rest of the business. If all computer speakers had a 3 month lifespan, there'd be no case. If you expect it to last 2 years and they all die within 6 months, there's a problem. You could basically force them to pay you back through court. Fun fun...but oh so expensive.

I just wish they'd tell you what to fix. They could just give you the replacement chip or component for you to throw on yourself. I'm sure it only costs like 10 cents anyways. That's all I want from them, an answer where they say this is what's wrong.

Date:   Apr 18, 04 at 11:14pm (PST)
I sent my burnt subwoofer to my brother and the technician who opened it said that the Power ICs were burnt. It has a total of 8 small Power ICs (FH FDS 6612A and FH 039 FDS 6609A, 4 of each). Does anybody know where to get these?

Date:   May 08, 04 at 11:01pm (PST)
What's a Power IC?

Date:   May 09, 04 at 3:21am (PST)
Integrated circuit. I was told it was too small. When I called Altec Lansing, the guy said they manufacture their own ICs and that they can only offer me a discount if I buy a replacement. Well, isn't it obvious, I want to fix it??? Anyway, he said I should go to a computer store to find a replacement for it. Oh by the way, they use asbestos inside the subwoofer!

Author:   wirerunner
Date:   May 30, 04 at 3:23pm (PST)
The problem with the 641 is the HEXFET transistor that powers the subs. It's inside the sub and really doesn't have a good heat sink. Funny, there is a large heat sink visible from the back vents, but darned if I know what it does....anyway, remove the top subwoofer, and you will see the sub amp..both sets of sub leads go to the board. There is a large heatsink that has a diode under it, but next to it is a smaller heatsink...that's the part that goes. It is International Rectifier part # IRF9Z34N...cheap, less than $2. When soldering back in, be sure to use a heat sink on the leads as to not overheat the new transistor. Also, the switch on the controller only turns off the satellite amp, which means the sub amp is on all the time...turn off the unit at the switch or plug it in somewhere where you can switch off power to the sub unit externally.....Hope this helps

Author:   wirerunner
Date:   May 31, 04 at 2:38am (PST)
The problem with my 641 sub was the chip I identified earlier....other problems may occur in other units. I am no expert by any means, but was lucky enough to fix my sub and have a fully functional 641 set of speakers.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.