Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » New Polk AMR90 Review » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 04, 04 at 11:43pm
Mark Tomlinson

I am QUITE disatisfied with these speakers. I have had to return them TWICE for power supply failures, and now the third system has gone TU.....

My last PC audio purchase from POLK.

Jan 17, 01 at 4:38pm
LiquidIQ

The 4030, and most MidiLand speakers use a single driver. I tested the 3050, which had the problem of the highs being muffled. It's very tough to design a driver of 2-3"s to move 11-20 thousand time a second

3DAI used to use ultimateBB for our forums. The server we had a first was a POS, or so I heard, so we had to shut it down as it was taking up too many cycles. Now we've got this killer server on a fat pipe, and no forums. We were kinda disappointed with UBB, and now are looking for other options. What do you guys use? PHP is fine, I'm not real familiar with it but I could read. You guys use mySQL or something? We'd be definately interested if you guys could help us out in this department.

Jan 17, 01 at 1:48pm
Ether

Hey thanks for the praise Steve

Yeah the bass is rather nice for a 4" woofer. The MH-500s IMO also had really nice bass for a very small subwoofer, but that sub didn't clip or distort as much when setting the bass settings in most songs.

Most 2"-2.5" speakers definitely have a problem with the highs. The Cambridge Soundworks has this problem, and so do the Microworks by Boston Acoustics. Surprisingly, the BA635 seems to be exempt from this (don't you love those lil' guys?)

Do you happen to know whether the MidiLand S2 4030 uses a single driver in each satellite? It has a solid high frequency reproduction.

This is still a pretty kickass 4 speaker system b/c it is priced so nicely.

Anthony

Hey btw I noticed a while back that 3DAI doesn't have it's own forums anymore. Any thoughts on using our forums for just that? b/c like I would love more audio related discussions

Jan 17, 01 at 7:01am
LiquidIQ

Pretty nice review. I also have these speakers and noticed the lack of highs, but I've also noticed this as a common factor in a lot of computer speakers that do not use a seperate tweeter. A 2" (Polk) or 2.5" (DTT3500) driver just cannot reproduce the highs from a nice tweeter.

The AMR150 that are coming out will have a seperate tweeter. Most of the reason multimedia speakers don't have the seperate tweeter (I think) is the added cost of the crossover for each speaker.

You might also consider that this bass was put out by a 4" driver! While it's not on the quantity level as the MidiLand S4-4100 (8") it still is pretty impressive for a 4"

Take it easy...

Jan 17, 01 at 3:03am
Entity

We have posted Ether's review of the Polk AMR90 4.1 Surround Sound Speaker Set. Feel free to post comments or feedback & he will gladly respond.

The Link: