Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » The National » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jun 21, 07 at 10:27pmanluan04

quote wikipedia
The National is a Brooklyn-based indie rock band formed in 1999, by friends from Cincinnati, Ohio.

Influences range from Tom Waits to U2. The band's morose, self-deprecating lyrics are written and sung by Matt Berninger in a distinctive, deep baritone. The rest of band comprises two pairs of brothers; Aaron & Bryce Dessner and Scott & Bryan Devendorf. Padma Newsome, from sister band, Clogs, often contributes strings, keyboards, and other arrangements and instrumental flourishes.

The band's early gimmick was that the members had all given up good jobs to work on the project, because several of the members had participated in New York's dot-com boom in the late 90s. However, this is rarely mentioned in more recent biographical materials.

Their first self-titled album The National was released in 2001 on Brassland Records, a label founded by band members Aaron and Bryce Dessner, along with their friend Alec Hanley Bemis. It was this album that really launched the band's career, as they had done few live shows before its release. It was followed two years later by another album, Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers.

In 2005 the band quit their jobs and moved to a new label, Beggars Banquet Records, because the process of running their own label was becoming "too complicated" [1]. Their first album on this label, Alligator, was met with much critical acclaim and featured highly in "Album of the Year" charts in the LA Times, Insound, Uncut, and many other publications [2]. This album gave the band a lot more exposure, and many people mistakenly assumed that this was their debut release.

Their latest album, called Boxer, was released on May 22, 2007, and has also received a great deal of widespread critical praise [3]. The album features contributions from various guest artists including Sufjan Stevens.
Official Site

I just recently got their latest album 'Boxer' and it's in a word Fantastic. I'm still a bit iffy with Matt Berninger's voice but I think it's winning me over.

Favourite tracks for me are 'Mistaken for strangers' 'Squalor Victoria' and 'Ada'.

Anyone else into these guys?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 16, 14 at 9:37am

quote Al The Killer
Man, "About Today" always mellows me out so much. Love the new album. Can anyone recommend any bands similar to these guys?
The Antlers are the most similar band that come to mind. Them, Editors and Interpol.

Mar 14, 14 at 9:53am
Al The Killer

Man, "About Today" always mellows me out so much. Love the new album. Can anyone recommend any bands similar to these guys?

Mar 13, 14 at 4:48pm

Bought tickets to see them in July. Can't waittttt.

Mar 9, 14 at 11:07pm
The Don

If you consider yourself a fan, this is definitely worth checking out. If you don't want to watch the whole set, at the very least watch the last song "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks." So *bleep*ing amazing.

Jun 8, 13 at 3:44pm
Al The Killer

The new album is so good it pisses me off. They're not coming to a city near me.

Jun 8, 13 at 6:37am
Mocking Alvin

I agree.

Jun 7, 13 at 8:37pm

new album is great

May 15, 13 at 9:46pm
The Don

Full album is streaming on iTunes. I've had "Sea of Love" on repeat for the past 48 hours. Great album.

Apr 15, 13 at 9:32pm
The Don

I can't wait for the new album!

Also, Matt's brother Tom is premiering a documentary of touring with the band during the High Violet tour. Check out the trailer, do it. It takes a crazy turn and really caught me off guard.

Apr 12, 13 at 4:47am

That new album cover is so damn cool.

They play here in November, which I thought might be a smaller venue (maybe Olympia?) but they're playing the O2, and tickets are €40. No way am I paying that for The National.