Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Networking 2 computers (to share 1 cable connection) » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Jan 11, 01 at 11:18amMark

First of all: Any help is greatly appreciated

I have 2 computers at home:

Clone:Windows 95a, 166MHz, 32 RAM, etc.

Dell 4100 933r: Windows Me, 933MHz, 256 RAM, etc.

I'm attempting to network the 2 together. I have no clue how to do this! Any help on starting off is greatly appreciated!!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 13, 01 at 11:24am
sparty

If you want to use ICS, the setup has to look like this

computer 1 -> [crossover cable] -> computer 2 (with ICS) -> cable modem

(you could use two regular patch cables and a hub in place of [crossover cable] above, which would be more expandable

You had asked about plugging the patch cable from the cable modem into the uplink on a hub, which would look like

puter 1 -> HUB --> cable modem
puter 2 ---/

In that case, ICS isn't involved and isn't doing the NAT that would allow you to have a non-routable IP on the other PC.

Also, as far as the phone-line suggestion goes, that's fine if you don't mind limiting yourself to slow intranet transfers; personally, I'd go the Cat 5 cabling route and get 10/100 NICs (I think that using Cat 5 and 10/100 NICs would be cheaper, too).

Jan 12, 01 at 6:50pm
ectobuilder

just use a phoneline homenetworking connection. currently there are choices of either a 1mbps or a 10mbps speed. The manufacturers that I am aware of who make such devices are Intel and 3COMM. And because the technology has been standardized, they are backwards and cross-brand compatible. This means: If you had a 3COMM 10mbps device and a 1mbps Intel device (one for each computer), then both would communicate together, with the max speed connection at 1mbps of course.

The devices come in two flavours, USB and PCI. The USB is conveniant if you have used up all your PCI slots, but is more expensive than the PCI version and it drains more of your systems resources. So if you can, go with the PCI version.

Which ever flavour you plan to choose, you need one for each computer. Also, you can have one PC using the USB while the other the PCI.

These networking devices use the phoneline to transmit the information from one PC to the next without disturbing your phone calls. It allows you to share anything from printers, internet connections to hard drives. And the best part about it is that you can do some multiplayer gaming!

This message was edited by ectobuilder on Jan 12 2001.

Jan 12, 01 at 12:09pm
Mark

Hi again,

I would try the linksys router (my friends have the same opinion as you guys), but my dad won't buy me one. And I'm not old enough to apply for employment.

If I use ICS and a hub, doesn't ICS automatically route the data to each computer (doesn't it support DHCP and NAT)?

Once again: Thank you very much

Jan 12, 01 at 12:09pm
Mark

Hi again,

I would try the linksys router (my friends have the same opinion as you guys), but my dad won't buy me one. And I'm not old enough to apply for employment.

If I use ICS and 2 hubs, doesn't ICS automatically route the data to each computer (doesn't it support DHCP and NAT)?

Once again: Thank you very much

Jan 11, 01 at 7:45pm
sparty

Thanks for the advice. I just have a few more questions:

1) I'm confused on how to connect the hub. Do I connect each NIC to a port on the hub (via wires) and then connect the uplink port on the hub to the cable modem?
If you do that, then both your computers will need routable IPs; most cable operaters charge more for this.

3) What kind of wires do I use? Do I need an ethernet adapter (I don't know what that is, but I've heard that it's needed)?
Use Category Five Ethernet cable. "Ethernet Adaptor" is another way of saying "Network Interface Card."

4) I don't have a cable connected to my computer; I have a cable box. Right now, the clone is connected to the cable box, which is connected to the actual physical cable wire. Does that make a difference in the installation process.
That's the way it usually works.

5) What do you mean when you typed "Make sure TCP/IP is installed on each and bound to the MS Client."?
You need to have TCP/IP installed as a protocol for each connection; you can verify this by going to Control panel and then Networking.

6) I don't know squat about a hub. Does it require any drivers (or some sort of software installation in order to function)?
No. A hub merely allows you to connect two or more machines on an Ethernet network.

Sorry if I sound stupid (or if I'm wasting your time/ boring you with simple questions), I'm just starting to become involved in this subject. Thanx
S'ok. Though at this point, the recommendation of the all-in-one Linksys box is probably the best for you.

Jan 11, 01 at 6:21pm
LiquidIQ

This is really simple really

Go to buy.com and get these items.

2 - Linksys Network cards
1 - Linksys Cable/DSL Router box with the built in 4 port switch
3 - Ethernet Catagory 5 cables.

Connect both computers to the Linksys box, connect the Linksys box to the cablemodem. Both the Win95/ME systems will automatically install TCP/IP and that's about it.

Let me know if you need anymore help. It might cost a little extra with the Linksys box, but it's really a plug-n-play solution that ANYONE can do, trust me!!

Jan 11, 01 at 12:56pm
Mark

Thanks for the advice. I just have a few more questions:

1) I'm confused on how to connect the hub. Do I connect each NIC to a port on the hub (via wires) and then connect the uplink port on the hub to the cable modem?

3) What kind of wires do I use? Do I need an ethernet adapter (I don't know what that is, but I've heard that it's needed)?

4) I don't have a cable connected to my computer; I have a cable box. Right now, the clone is connected to the cable box, which is connected to the actual physical cable wire. Does that make a difference in the installation process.

5) What do you mean when you typed "Make sure TCP/IP is installed on each and bound to the MS Client."?

6) I don't know squat about a hub. Does it require any drivers (or some sort of software installation in order to function)?

Sorry if I sound stupid (or if I'm wasting your time/ boring you with simple questions), I'm just starting to become involved in this subject. Thanx

Jan 11, 01 at 12:40pm
Escapee

Two nic cards any type will do, I use linksys myself and I also use a linksys router 4 port. which you could pick up for 119.xx over at buy.com with a 10.00 coupon...if you havent bought the nic cards yet...you could pick up the nic cards and the router and use the 30.00 off 150.00 coupon. both coupons are listed at http://www.padgamer.com

This message was edited by Escapee on Jan 11 2001.

Jan 11, 01 at 12:26pm
sparty

You need:
(a) Two NICs (Network Interface Cards)--I'd reccommend Intel 10/100+s or 3Com cards, but you could go the Netgear route if you don't want to spend that much cash.
(b) Two patch cables and a hub (more expandable) OR
one crossover cable

Install a NIC in each puter. Enable the Client for Microsoft Networks (you might want to add File and Printer sharing, too). Make sure TCP/IP is installed on each and bound to the MS Client. You don't need NetBeui or anything else.

Connect either a patch cable between each NIC and the hub or the crossover cable between the two NICs directly, power up any relevant hardware that's not powered up, turn on ICS on the cable connection with Win ME (assuming you've got the cable connected to the Dell), do the mandatory reboot, and you should be all set.

A more advanced setup, if you choose to eventually have more PCs wired together, would be to dedicate a low-end machine (the aforementioned clone should work nicely) as a gateway/NAT/PAT machine to do the connection sharing, with two NICs, and put Linux on it. There are 3 gazillion HOWTOs on this, should you choose to attempt that at some point.

Jan 11, 01 at 11:18am
Mark

First of all: Any help is greatly appreciated

I have 2 computers at home:

Clone:Windows 95a, 166MHz, 32 RAM, etc.

Dell 4100 933r: Windows Me, 933MHz, 256 RAM, etc.

I'm attempting to network the 2 together. I have no clue how to do this! Any help on starting off is greatly appreciated!!