Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Playstation 3 » Connecting your PS3 Online - Instructions » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 27, 07 at 5:39pmSS4Gogeta

You MUST have a high speed Internet connection. Dial up will NOT work. You will need your logon ID (the ID you log into the service with) and your password.

1. Determine your high speed Internet connection.
a. Cable Modem provided by a Cable Company.
b. DSL service provided by a telecom company.

2. Determine your PS3's access to your high speed Internet.
c. Wired using an Ethernet cable (8-conductor Cat-5)
d. Wireless requiring no cable to the PS3. **

3. Choosing a router. (If you have one connected & working, skip to number 5.)
If you will be using option "c." I recommend you choose a wireless router with at least 4 ports. In case you have a PSP or get a wireless ready device later you are already set up to go.
If you are going the wireless route "d", I recommend the same in case you need to plug a device in directly.

4. "a" Cable modem setup. From your cable box there is an Ethernet cable that plugs into your PC. Locate but don't do anything yet! Follow the "Installation Instructions" that came with your router. Once it is installed and working properly go to step "5."
"b" DSL provided by Telco. From your DSL modem there is an Ethernet cable that plugs into your PC. Locate but don't do anything yet! Follow the "Installation Instructions" that came with your router. Once it is installed and working properly go to step "5."

5. Click: Wireless or Wired, the connection method you chose. The PS3 is supplied with one (1) Ethernet cord, you may need an additional one.
  • If your PS3 does not support wireless and you can not wire it you will need a Wireless Access Point, commonly referred to as a "WAP". Once you have one follow the setup instructions (very simple) and click the "Wired" link above.
Here is a pic of my WAP connecting to a 360.

If you need additional clarification or I missed something let me know and I'll edit this post to include it.

Sony PS3 Knowledge Center

Easy Configuration Setup

How to Obtain Service

Please contact SCEA Consumer Services for technical assistance with a PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

SCEA Consumer Services
1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Monday - Saturday 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM PST
Sunday 7:00 - AM 6:30 PM PST
Or contact us online.

For customers outside the U.S. & Canada, please visit PlayStation® Global at www.playstation.com for more information.

Test your Internet connection speed

[color=#666666]This message was edited by SS4Gogeta on Feb 04 2009.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 24, 13 at 7:46pm
Kanli1623

Thank you for sharing. Your post worth of reading. Waiting for new posts. buyincoins, where you can buy good products from China directly without any shipping fee.

Jun 29, 13 at 6:09am
Ace3000

Hello all, I seem to be having issues with the wi-fi connection.

Connecting to the internet via Ethernet is out of the question, since my router is in a completely different side of my house to my PS3, but I can get a very good signal in my room, so that is not the problem. I can connect easily, but say, I'm downloading something with a high file size (>30 MB, would take about 30 minutes) I go on the internet on my computer (Ethernet, much faster), but the connection to the PS3 cuts out. It is not the router, I can connect multiple devices to it (Combination of Ethernet and Wireless) and they will not drop, but when my PS3 is using the wireless, and another device gains access to the internet via my router, the PS3's connection will get cut off. So if I am to download a large file on my PS3, I have to leave it on overnight. But when I am online on the system, it is a massive pain in the arse.

My question is, what can I do to ensure that the PS3 will stay connected when another device has access to and is using the internet as well?

My PS3's firmware is up to date, it is a 160GB Slim.
My Router is a Netgear CGD24N v2, if that helps.

Apr 02, 13 at 1:42am
kyx sp33dy

i read all of it and i still dont get it its to complicated can you explain it simpler for me

Apr 17, 12 at 7:28pm
yuki2012

Yeah, once setup, load on automaticaly

Nov 30, 11 at 11:07pm
Baggers

I am trying to get online on my ps3 mainly to play call of duty. I have a Belkin N150 wirelss router which I plug into my ps3 but after several frustrating days cannot get online. My ps3 recognises my IP address but the internet connection test always fails. Is there anything else I need? If it helps I have a mobile broadband USB stick through Telstra

Oct 18, 11 at 5:06am
regime

Can the PS3 be used as a router. Thanks for the configuration setting. I was having prob to install my new PS3. The tips are very useful. keep it up.

Jul 11, 11 at 3:21pm
Ditnopota

I'm really, really pissed off right now. You see, ever since the PSN's been back up, my PS3 disconnects from the internet for around 1 to 2 hours each and every day. During this 1-2 hour period, I'm unplugging my router (which is downstairs away from my PS3 btw), I'm moving the PS3 around on the TV stand, I'm turning it off and on... trying virtually everything to get this steaming pile of donkey shit to work again. And it usually ends with me having to wait until it fixes itself.

So does anyone have any reccomendations on how to get this piece of shit PS3 to stop disconnecting?

Jul 03, 11 at 2:02pm
Feisar

PLEASE HELP ME GOOD FORUM!

My PS3 has recently been a bitch to me.

See, I have this connection problem. Everytime I boot up my PS3, well, recently, I do an internet connection test.
The PS3 is able to obtain my router's IP address, and connect to the internet, but when it tries to connect to the PSN, it takes ages, and eventually says something about timing out, and says 'Failed' next to Playstation Network.

Media Sharing is turned off.

Please help me, I don't want to fight bots on Black Ops all day, I want real people to play with

Jun 21, 11 at 7:03am
jihe

my favorite game is NDS

Feb 10, 11 at 6:04pm
Dean price

Hey and thanks:)