Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » XFX 8800 GTX "XXX" Edition Review » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 25, 07 at 7:49pmRedemption

We've just published our review of the "XXX" edition of XFX's 8800 GTX flagship. Not only is this thing monstrously huge, its performance is adequately "monstrous".

Here's Micah's quote hehe:

quote Micah
Who's looking to find the most powerful graphics card money can buy? You can put your hands down now.

Well, XFX has just released their brand new, over powered, sweets frags are upon us graphics card. Look at the comparison tests we ran, because those numbers don't lie.

XFX GeFORCE 8800GTX XXX Review

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Feb 05, 07 at 8:43am
jmicahg

It is probably the fastest card on the planet right now!

For this review, I had done all of the bench testing and photos while my partner in arms, Michael had done the writing.

A couple of things about the XXX

First, we did see some GPU scaling with certain games. An example would be with Quake (I think) where the ATI card preformed better with AA and AF turned on. The XXX did the same thing, but prefroming better at 1280x1024 than it did at 1024x768. This is most likely a method of GPU scaling or throttling (turning off certian pipes or streams if they are not needed).

The other thing it could be is software related. Perhaps the drivers used are optimized for filtering turned on and resolutions above 1280x1024. Or maybe even an aspect of the game. The game programmers beleive that everyone uses LCDs that start at 1280 resolution. SO, naturally, they've elected to ignore 1024 and below. Regardless, it's a freakin' fast card!

As for water cooling, it can be done. I'm going to check tomorrow if a G71 footprint cooler will fit G80 mounting points. If it can. then a GeForce 7000 series aftermarket water cooler could be used on a G80. When overclocking a G80, the best util to use is ATI Tool! Don't ask me why, but it seems to work the best right now. Cool Bits doesn't work most of the tie, and nTune is limited. I've seen figures of G80 cards that have been OC'd using water cooling, and the best is a 10 percent gain in FPS.

Remember; if you're water cooling, you're going to want to have your radiator in the coolest place possible. A radiator can only bring the water temps down to the ambient room tempature. If you have a big enough fan, you can induce wind chill. But in a 20 degrees C room, a fan the size of a fridge might only get you down to 15 degrees if your lucky. If you have AC, then maybe you could position your H2O rad at the outlet of the AC, chill it down to 7 degress C, and get the water dozen to maybe 12 degrees.

It's going to take me a while, but I am going to be experimenting with some extreeme cooling techniquess. All quite top secret for now though.

JMicahG

(Forvige the spelling, but I typed this in less than a minute and did't read it over. We're all guilty of bad spelling, right?)

Feb 02, 07 at 1:12am
tomy_b

Okay. sorry for the rambling. I know what you mean now and I agree with what you said. I'll shut up now.

Feb 02, 07 at 12:21am
AllNamesTaken

Just shut up.

Ok just to not leave you hanging water cooling doesnt necesarily mean its going to be any better.

Also what we mean is if you get a non watercooled version from BFG or any other *BRAND* and overclock it and change the cooler for any third party cooler it will void the warrenty....*UNLIKE EVGA* where it is perfectly acceptable.

To be honest i would rather have the card non-watercooled.

There you go.

Feb 02, 07 at 12:12am
tomy_b

why would you want to change the cooling? The Over clocked 8800 GTX is water cooled.

Feb 02, 07 at 12:04am
AllNamesTaken

But not if you overclock and change the cooling.

Feb 01, 07 at 8:35pm
tomy_b

Well, just so you know, BFG also has a lifetime warranty.

Feb 01, 07 at 8:09pm
Cheesysoapopra

This is with the card from EVGA, theres no raeson to buy any other brand. EVGA gives lifetime warentee, even if you OC and change the cooling.

Feb 01, 07 at 7:22pm
tomy_b

Is that with one card?

Also, which is better, this or the BFG Water cooled 8800 GTX?

This message was edited by tomy_b on Feb 01 2007.

Feb 01, 07 at 7:07pm
Iceguy2003

quote Cheesysoapopra
My card came in. It's freaking unreal, more powerful than I expected. Oblivion on 1920x1200 8xQAA 16XAF maxed everything possible the game runs as smooth as silk no matter what I do.
That is truly insane. I can't imagine 8xAA/16xAF in 1920x1200 playing smoothly. Even with all settings maxed out, including the grass view distance, you keep 45+ fps? Or what is your lowest FPS?

Feb 01, 07 at 4:22pm
URLORD

quote Cheesysoapopra
My card came in. It's freaking unreal, more powerful than I expected. Oblivion on 1920x1200 8xQAA 16XAF maxed everything possible the game runs as smooth as silk no matter what I do.
Glad to hear that your having fun with it. Now lets get some games that will take advantage of that damn DX10, that is, when Vista gets it head out of it's ass.