Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Latin/Hispanic Countries » Requests, Feedback and Suggestions » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

May 15, 06 at 9:46amDeis

A History of the Forum
According to Yuna

The idea of a Latin/Hispanic forum was first suggested by Cripp_Walker in June 05. The suggestion didn't really get off the ground at the time, especially since Cripp_Walker was banned soon afterwards.

In December 05,
Puerto Rico made the suggestion once again, being unaware of the original.

The idea was originally met with oposition, including from myself.
SilentScream2003 was one of the first to support the forum, announcing his intention to moderate it. I guess we'll see...

The discussion then went on to the topic of support. How could we prove that the forum would be active enough?
Q22 said;

quote Q22
The Localised forums barely maintain proper discussion and activity through the whole year. Making another one with your logic wouldn't change that. Provide proof that there's a grounds for making the forum because there is NO Latino/Hispanic discussion around at the moment. My question still stands:

To satisfy my own curiosity, give me a list of twenty topics that could be made related to Latino/Hispanic discussion?
Otherwise, it'll just become another Localised forum turned into a mini-Loungin'.
In reply,
Metafor offered a list of topics that could be discussed in the forum, and many other people offered their opinions on the potential activity of the forum. SenorZorro2000, as he was known then, dug up the original petitions for the Asia and Europe Forums, and I posted the links in order to demonstrate how other localized forums got started, stating that judging by those, a Latino forum seemed just as viable.

A few people still disagreed. SummonerSupreme said;

quote SummonerSupreme
Hispanics can technically be of any race, not just Mexican or Spanish. I'm American but I'm also Hispanic even though I was born in the USA.
And I don't support this idea, I agree with what was said yesterday about not enough topics to support such a forum. If Q22 put that "20 topics" challenge to me, I could come up with MAYBE 4, and half of those topics would generate nothing but flame wars. And all I could see sustaining such a forum would be a GD (spam) thread.
While Deathman48 offered the opinion;

quote Deathman48
I visit a lot of the sections on the site, and I can't say that any amounts of discussion on either the language or Latin America really jump out at me. To get a forum for a subject on the site there needs to be enough current discussion on the site. Forums like this aren't created on their potential or what they "could be" if given a chance.

Around this point I offered the arguement that it was pointless to speculate - the only way we could prove it would be to create threads and a petiton, and see how much attention they received. Eventually
SilentScream2003 started a thread on Castro in the IE forum, which lead to some decent discussion. Still, despite everyone agreeing it was a good idea, nobody seemed willing to make any more threads.

Cleric asked which countries were classed as Latino, and Ryan Rhino replied with the list that is in the first post of the original petition. Once he had that list, Cleric asked if anyone could provide him with a list of members who actually lived in any of those countries. I told him of the few I knew off the top of my head, and for a while we discussed whether someone who had never lived in any of the countries in question, yet was Hispanic by blood could be considered a viable member of the forum. I also posted a list of all the members I could find who lived in the relevant countries, and had over 200 posts to their name. Although many of those were inactive, I felt that the numbers would be offset by those members who were active but had less than one hundred posts, and those that would join neo in the future.

After argueing, nagging and pleading for a while I had enough of people doubting the possibility of a forum, pm'd Puerto Rico with a new first post, and created a GD to move the discussion out of the support thread.

Eventually, as is evident, this forum was created. The PPD rose dramatically at first, and Mishtram and I began organising the forum, with this thread, a thread index, and a contacts directory. Eventually, Metafor was appointed moderator, which surprised several members of the forum.

After a time, the forum went into a slump, and Metafor demoted. A while after that, several members, many of whom could be classed as second generation within the context of the forum, began trying to revive the forum, with the idea of making Jay_Z, the ringleader, mod. We'll see...

As the forum became more active, I became temp mod, between the 20th and 26th of November, and the forum flourished.

[color=#666666]This message was edited by Yunalookalike on Nov 24 2006.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 19, 12 at 11:08am
Inhale

I see the forum has new threads by taking a really quick glimpse. If we can get some amazing headers, it can help liven up and perhaps be a step towards bringing a community once again.

Mar 17, 12 at 7:51pm
Dynamite

quote Vermillion
Ah haha yeah I have seen that. It's not the most beautiful thing ever but I think we can keep it there for a while, since we are going to have competitions and all that I guess I will also try to stylize the forum a bit later if the rest of the active guys here agree, and try to find something else to put up there. My main complains is that the new thing is too big, but it's doing a good job bringing up updated news so thanks for that Dynamite !
Yeah, wasn't ideal. I think I've found something better anyway! Check the forum footer guys!

If you're familiar with stylizing forums go ahead and submit new ideas and I'm more than willing to try them out.

quote LOD-squa
We really don't need a moderator to get things going; supers usually watch some of these forums and things can be taken care of accordingly. Don't worry. We will have someone be our slave whenever we need something.
You're MY slave, Loddy.

Mar 16, 12 at 5:19pm
LOD-squa

quote Wakaman
Ahaha, I've been neglecting that football thread. D:
It's a real hassle doing it by phone. Though it's great to see that you guys are helping out with bringing awareness.

Gracias!

Also some might not agree but we should really have a moderator of our own.
We really don't need a moderator to get things going; supers usually watch some of these forums and things can be taken care of accordingly. Don't worry. We will have someone be our slave whenever we need something.

Mar 16, 12 at 10:57am
Inhale

dynamite thanks for dropping by and being supportive. My activity declined once again. Blame the nintendo DS. I'm stuck on it all day.

PS. Your neocrs looks sexy Vermillion.

Mar 16, 12 at 1:15am
Wakaman

Yeah we've grown abit since then, happy about that. It reminds of the PSVita forum, where me and Aurora were practically the only regularly posting members.

Hope this place grows again.

Will do Captain Dynamite!

Mar 16, 12 at 1:11am
Dynamite

quote Wakaman
Well, for the mean time, you can consider me the moderator here and notify me or PM me anything you want doing in this board and I'll happily oblige!

I've noticed you guys trying to get a community together here over the recent weeks and months and that's great! I'll do anything that I can to help you guys out with this and hopefully encourage this board to grow.

Mar 16, 12 at 1:05am
Wakaman

Ahaha, I've been neglecting that football thread. D:
It's a real hassle doing it by phone. Though it's great to see that you guys are helping out with bringing awareness.

Gracias!

Mar 15, 12 at 9:53pm
Arietta

Ah haha yeah I have seen that. It's not the most beautiful thing ever but I think we can keep it there for a while, since we are going to have competitions and all that I guess I will also try to stylize the forum a bit later if the rest of the active guys here agree, and try to find something else to put up there. My main complains is that the new thing is too big, but it's doing a good job bringing up updated news so thanks for that Dynamite !

Mar 15, 12 at 9:50pm
Dynamite

quote Vermillion
Can I request you remove the scrolling news right below the header banner? Those news are from like, 2005 or something.
Oh, that sucks. I thought that was pulling the latest stories automatically.

Well... I looked for something similar for news specific to the region but didn't get very far. I found the FeedBurner feed for the Latin American Herald Tribune though which I've thrown up. Yay or nay?

Mar 15, 12 at 9:48pm
Quetzalcoatl

Pretty much that's a topic we want to bring up; paisanos living outside a latin/hispanic country. Considering the majority of latin/hispanic members reside in a non-latin/hispanic country, we could bring up topics such as cultural, traditions, language, latin/hispanic expos, etc.. Bringing in news is also something nice to do. Lot's of stuff go on in my dear Mexico both good and bad.

The pope will be coming to my state next week so expect me to post a thread about it . Elections are in June too!