Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Grandia II » Grandia 2 PC Problems - READ HERE FIRST » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 28, 02 at 10:38pmkrbrunn

It is suggested by Ubisoft (makers of Grandia 2 for the PC) that if you are having problems with the game you should get the newest versions of Direct X as well as Windows Media Player.

If you are having trouble beating Milenia when you meet her, that is because you are supposed to lose to her. But if she will not cast Zap on you, I'm afraid you are out of luck. A suggestion to beat her it to defend the whole time, and hopefully she'll cast Burn on you, and then after a few turns she will cast Zap.

All of you PC owners have to realize that this is the Dreamcast versions forum, so while we can help you with gameplay problems, we cannot help you with system problems. Hopefully Ubisoft will release a patch soon to fix the problems with it.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 23, 14 at 2:29am
Endry

quote phxorcist
Hope this helps (this is not a crack)
Rename your old exe to grandia2.exe.old and same with the Gmconfig.exe

http: //www.whojust.com/downloads/grandia2.rar

if you have 2 cds in the drive at once the game will not load. Use your grandia 2 cd or mount an image.
PHXORCIST, It's work. Thank you so much.
I use the grandia2.exe & config from the winrar file.

Jul 14, 13 at 7:33pm
Samilicious

GUYS!

So I finally fixed the shit!

I'm not sure if changing the permissions and ownership of anything helped, or if using the fix on page 21/22 helped but I finally got it to work doing 1 stupid thing! I changed the compatibilty from windows 98/me to windows 7! Now the cut scenes for millinea and even the game arts show up!!

Hope this helps!

Jul 14, 13 at 5:33pm
Samilicious

So guys, I followed multiple steps and was able to get the game up and running on Windows 8 64 bit but with a couple of problems

First I copied all files from the second disk to the directory and copied the crack as well. Launched the game but I got stuck at the black screen after hitting new game. F9 helped me clear that.

I originally wanted to use my own disks (which i have owned for a very long time) but I cant seem to create an image of the play disk for some reason.

The game however, still isnt playable as it freezes whenever i try to use fallen wings or snooze.I tried to screw around with the permissions and ownership and all of that but to no avail. I even copied some edited codecs that was also one of the suggestions but that didnt work either. I unplugged my controller and ran both the config and the exe as administrator but that didnt work either. Ive ran everything in compatibility mode as well but it still isnt working.

So if anyone knows of any other solutions please share! I was glad to finally be able to play this game again after so long and I really wanna go through it.

Jul 09, 13 at 2:20pm
AliceWylde

Hi All

Much like Ethan, I had exactly the same problem. Windows 7, premium, 64 bit etc.

I tried every fix available to me on this forum however only this appears to have worked for me:

(can't post link due to being a noobie here so) ----> go to Youtube ----> search 'Grandia 2 (PC) - Windows 7 ----> SHOULD be the top result.

This vid has links to re-encoded avi files which appear to have fixed the spells/movies for me.

Download ----> extract part one with 7zip (files look a bit weird and aren't recognised with my version of winrar though it is quite old...) ----> replace the folders in your Grandia 2 files with the ones you'll find in your download/extraction.

Don't know if it'll work for everybody but after trying everything out there (yes, I have no life) this is the only thing that worked for me. I went right the way through this thread so logged on specifically to pop this here to thank you all for helping me indirectly find this lol x

Jul 01, 13 at 1:38pm
phxorcist

Hope this helps (this is not a crack)
Rename your old exe to grandia2.exe.old and same with the Gmconfig.exe

http://www.whojust.com/downloads/grandia2.rar

if you have 2 cds in the drive at once the game will not load. Use your grandia 2 cd or mount an image.

Jul 01, 13 at 11:02am
phxorcist

I got a working copy that WILL work on windows 7 64x. I will upload the grandia2.exe that worked with my system when i get home.

Jun 28, 13 at 4:48pm
EthanEmerald

Not sure if this person is onto something, but posting this here...

http://dark.magus.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=241&sid=315ec99fe6eea820c6449b3d00d81bc3

Still not working for me on x64 Windows 7, by the way. Please read the notes/comments in my posts above. It's peculiar that the Ubisoft video plays at the beginning, yet I get a black screen after selecting "new game"...

Jun 28, 13 at 3:44pm
EthanEmerald

Quick update:

By following the suggested steps;
-Running Grandia2.exe as an administrator and in compatibility mode
-Running GMconfig.exe as an administrator (what are the best settings?)
-Setting the resulting "Config.cfg" to "read-only"

I am able to get the opening "Ubisoft" video to play (which would not play before -- progress!). However, after choosing "new game", no video plays and I get a black screen again. I am only able to skip this black screen by pressing F9.

I have a feeling my problem is that the crack file does not run in my 64-bit Windows 7 machine. Could that be the error?

Following all the same steps as above on my old Vista machine, the game and videos work. There are some problems with sound, for example the water and other atmospheric sounds become extremely loud relative to music, etc. (anyone know how to fix that?), however I am simply glad Vista does not suffer from the black screen!

However, with Windows 7, no such luck. I tried replacing the videos with others I've downloaded, tried installing K-Lite, etc., however I still get the black screen which is only skippable with F9.

Anyone know how to make this work on Windows 7?

Thanks,
Ethan
EthanDavis2010@hotmail.com

Jun 27, 13 at 2:58pm
EthanEmerald

Hi all,

I got this game working smoothly on my Vista machine several years ago (you can find some posts of mine from 2007 on page 10 or so), however I wanted to return to playing this game now, in 2013, on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine.

I've tried running through all the steps as before. I installed the game, copied the folders over from CD2, replaced the .exe file with the one from "GRANDIA.2.10.ENG.FBSA.NOCD", and was able to successfully start the game.

It goes straight to the menu, skipping any intro videos. Upon selecting "new game", it says "now loading..." and the screen goes black. This is presumably where a cutscene plays. I am able to skip this by pressing F9, however I am missing the cutscenes.

I have tried some fixes:
-Running in compatibility mode
-Replacing the videos with those from the "grandia_ii_pc_battle_videos_duration_fixes_and_blank_videos__introduction_" folder
-Installing Indeo codecs, then K-Lite codecs, then UNinstalling them and installing the CCCP pack

(None of the above fixes work.)

I wonder if my problem is due to my inability to run the crack file "CrackG2flt.exe". Does anyone know if this is the problem? Trying to run it returns the error message: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

(Trying to run the crack file in compatibility mode does not seem to do anything.)

Thanks for your time reading this, and please let me know if you can figure out a fix.

Thanks!
EthanDavis2010@hotmail.com

Jun 23, 13 at 7:12am
justsomeguy1289

Fixed: You must adjust your computer's resolution settings to match IDENTICALLY to the resolution settings in the GmConfig file. I managed to make it through the rest of the scene that way.

I imagine the most conducive way to do this is to adjust it right after you save at the last save point, as not to spend all your time with a ridiculous resolution setting like 800x600....

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED