Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » General PS2 » Disc Read Error/Laser Problems [II] » Post Reply

Note to Guests: [b]div align=center]Welcome to the General PS2 Forum! While you're here, why don't you register and enjoy the benefits of being a Neoseeker member?[/div]
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jan 04, 06 at 3:42amAmeer

Previous Thread

Discuss disc, laser or any other problems about your PS2s here.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 18, 14 at 3:22pm
Arthegos

Hi guys,

I just thought you guys here could help me with a little situation I have at the moment.

I have a PS2, fat model, SPCH 39001, NTSC U/C, with a mod chip that I don't know which (It doesn't tell me anywhere on the menu, it does not have any particular menu, nothing.). Recently, in an urge to play some old PS1 games, I downloaded an .iso and burned it in a CD.
The thing is, the console reads it just fine, but the screen is completely off-center, with black bars in the top and left, and part of the game not showing on screen. I read everywhere this could be a PAL/NTSC incompability, so I made two more CDs, one with a PAL, and one with a sure NTSC version. The NTSC one remained with the error, and the PAL too, but not too off-screen (still unplayable, though).
I tried then to clean the lens, which I did very carefully, but with no sucess in solving the error.

My PS2 never gave me problems reading any kind of CDs or DVDs. And the error is only occuring with this particular game (which is now the one I'm crazy about, just because I can't play it =P). It reads my others PS1 discs just fine, and the PS2 games too.

Do you guys have any idea of what this may be? It can't be the .iso, since I downloaded three different ones to test, using different media to burn, in different PCs. Thanks in advance!

Aug 08, 13 at 3:11pm
misternoname5

This is what got rid of my disc read error howtofixstuff.blogsp ot.ca/2013/08/how-to-fix-disc-read-error-on-wii

Feb 13, 13 at 6:14pm
Caleyr19

Ok. So, I bought a cleaning disk and ran it through both my computer superdrive and through my Playstation. I bought some new blank DVDs, -R this time and of a different brand (Sony, it was all that Walmart carries besides the Memorex). I re-installed iDVD on my computer. I set the burn speed to only 2x, and I made sure I had all other programs closed while burning and did not play with the computer while burning. I used Professional quality setting in iDVD.
Now, for Results: out of three dvds that I burned (always giving plenty of time for the drive to cool off and "rest") One dvd did not work at all, even on the regular dvd player. The other two disks played well enough on playstation and on regular dvd player but only for about the first ten minutes or so. Then the movie froze and could not be coaxed past the freezing point.
One clue to the problem is that it might be iDVD the software itself. I noticed that the project in idvd goes through all the phases just fine until it comes to multiplexing and burning. I haven't seen an error message but an interesting thing happens near the end of burning. The dialogue box says done at the bottom and the loading bar is full, but then below that it still says "about one minute left" and the little burning icon wheel is still spinning like it's not finished. The disk ejects. When you go to close the box it asks, "are you sure you want to cancel or continue burning the disk anyway?" That "anyway" seems suspicious to me...I tried pushing the disk back in and hitting "continue burning anyway" there is some noise and then after a moment the computer pops the disk out again with the same message as before.

Feb 05, 13 at 6:54pm
JoveHack

quote Caleyr19
I mostly use my ps2 to play burned DVD movies. I have burned several movies on memorex DVD+rs and they worked before and still do, but, now, all of a sudden, no new DVDs that i make will play. Im using the same dvds and burning them the same way, with the same software, but now i get the disc read error message on my ps2. I can't think of what I'm doing differently. I've re-installed the software on my computer and the DVDs work on my regular DVD player. My ps2 is version 10 so it is able to play +R/-R. I am just wondering what could be causing this?? Obviously it's not the DVD brand, my computer's DVD burner DOES work, and the ps2 still plays the old DVDs that I burned. This doesn't make sense to me!
Try cleaning the laser lens in the PS2. A DVD/CD cleaning disk will work. If you have a slim PS2 then you can also clean the laser lens manually with a microfiber cloth, or a cotton swab + rubbing alcohol.

Feb 04, 13 at 9:57pm
Caleyr19

I mostly use my ps2 to play burned DVD movies. I have burned several movies on memorex DVD+rs and they worked before and still do, but, now, all of a sudden, no new DVDs that i make will play. Im using the same dvds and burning them the same way, with the same software, but now i get the disc read error message on my ps2. I can't think of what I'm doing differently. I've re-installed the software on my computer and the DVDs work on my regular DVD player. My ps2 is version 10 so it is able to play +R/-R. I am just wondering what could be causing this?? Obviously it's not the DVD brand, my computer's DVD burner DOES work, and the ps2 still plays the old DVDs that I burned. This doesn't make sense to me!

Feb 25, 11 at 8:14am
vindianz

hello friends,

this is alok.it is my site which is gives you latest news, Bollywood and cricket.I hope you like it.

please drop suggestion.

thanks.

Jan 18, 11 at 5:33pm
c0olL

Hi
I burned a ps2 game (that i downloaded) and after 7 hours of playing the ps2 started to make strange noises (every time i entered specific place) after couple of times he stopped doing that noise but the background music stopped too. Then i tried to load a save in this game and the loading screen stayed for 5 minuets so i turned of the sonny and now it's not reading discs at all. When i power on its make that noise again and if i eject i see that the disc didn't spin at all (if i wait and not eject its spinning but the game doesn't work
and when i power on i have the normal "matrix" screen and than strange screen (black and something that look like sound wave in music programs in the middle colored white from the inside and blue top and bottom) for a half sec and than it starts regularly like if there aren't any disc inside
And that happens even if there aren't any discs in (the noise and the opening screen)

It's not the first time i play game that i download and it never happened to me.
i use this ps2 5-6 years.

tnx for the help

Dec 23, 10 at 1:40pm
Qubilah

I've had a problem where when i play a game or even turn on the playstation 2 it makes a churning up noise and then the Dic Read Error sign comes up.

Oct 15, 10 at 7:43pm
HoodedSolidSnake

I had this problem. Bought various new parts, searched 100s of internet pages. But in the end I got a PS3, and I never regretted it!

Sep 10, 10 at 1:22am
gt4isawesome

quote Pedigree
quote gt4isawesome
My PS2 has never had problems, but can you explain this?
Your disc is damaged and unreadable or your lens are dead.

To see if it's the latter, check other games. Same result = dead lens.
But I saw that once when I booted up GT4, but all my games and my laser are fine. Maybe it's just a routine error in my case.