Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Arctic Monkeys » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Sep 10, 05 at 2:26pmHybrid Star

Arctic Monkeys are an English indie rock band from High Green, a suburb of Sheffield. Formed in 2002, the band currently consists of Alex Turner on lead vocals and guitar, Jamie Cook on guitar, Matt Helders on drums and backing vocals and Nick O'Malley on bass guitar, a position formerly held by Andy Nicholson.

Arctic Monkeys achieved chart success with their first single, "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor", which reached number one in the UK Singles Chart. Their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, released on 23 January 2006, was at the time the fastest-selling debut album in British music history, beating Oasis' Definitely Maybe. It remains the fastest-selling debut album for a group. It received critical acclaim, winning both the 2006 Mercury Prize and the 2007 Brit Award for Best British Album. The band's second album, Favourite Worst Nightmare, was released on 23 April 2007, sold over 225,000 copies in its debut week, and was nominated for the 2007 Mercury Prize. The group also picked up the award for Best British Album and Best British Group at the Brit awards in 2008.

Arctic Monkeys achieved their success through fan-made demo tapes and online file sharing. They were heralded as one of the first acts to come to the public attention via the Internet, with commentators suggesting they represented the possibility of a change in the way in which new bands are promoted and marketed. The band eventually signed to the independent record label Domino Records.

Musical style

Lyrics

The lyrics of Arctic Monkeys' singles often feature social realism as typified by "A Certain Romance", which comments on chav and indie culture; and observations of working class life, as typified by "When the Sun Goes Down", described as a "witty, poignant song about prostitution in the Neepsend district of Sheffield", Based on their lyrical style, Arctic Monkeys have been compared to acts such as the British rapper Mike Skinner of The Streets and earlier artists such as Morrissey and Jarvis Cocker, both known for their combination of observational lyrics and humour.

The lead singer, Alex Turner sings in a strong Yorkshire accent, typified by the contraction of "something" to "summat", use of "dun't" (and not "don't") for "doesn't", use of "were" instead of "was", the replacement of "anything" and "nothing" with "owt" and "nowt", and the use of Yorkshire dialect such as "mardy" for "grumpy, difficult, unpredictable". Their songs also include frequent references to popular culture both common and obscure; Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not includes references to Romeo and Juliet (the Shakespeare play is also referenced in the track "Only Ones Who Know" from the Favourite Worst Nightmare album), Roxanne by The Police,and Frank Spencer, from Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, leading one journalist to describe the band as having a "camp retro-futurist fascination" for 1980s popular culture.
The Band:

Alex Turner - Lead Singer/Guitarist

Matt Helders - Drummer/Backing Vocals

Jamie Cook - Lead Guitarist

Nick O'Malley - Bass Guitarist

Thanks to scfc ftw mal for the updated information in this post.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 10, 13 at 5:23am
Bollo

I think it's brilliant, it's pointless for me saying how highly I'd rate it within their body of work since I love all their albums but it's absolutely fantastic. Only listened 3 times so far but of the ones I hadn't heard, No.1 Party Anthem and I Wanna Be Yours stand out.

This year has been a great year for established bands continuing to release amazing LPs, Foals, Vampire Weekend, QOTSA, and this, as well as Arcade Fire to come. Struggling to think of many debut albums I've loved as much as those lot.

Sep 09, 13 at 9:42am
Icedevil

just came here to say this. Yeah a completely lifeless and dull imitation of Portugal is what I got of it when I heard it on the radio on the way from work.

Sep 09, 13 at 9:07am
EricF

Snap Out of It couldn't sound more Portugal. The Man if it tried haha. The chorus especially. The album is alright but I think the three singles are easily the best tracks on there.

Sep 09, 13 at 8:42am
Celes Leonhart

Just had a first listen of AM. First impressions is it might be their best album since their first but Suck it and See is giving it competition. Will keep listening. I'm glad the writing is still back on track. Seems a lot more ambient than the last album and misses some of the aggression of it too but it has a real nice cohesion, I thought.

This and Like Clockwork might make this a good year for me.

Sep 06, 13 at 4:13am
Star of Spurs

I always get a strange twinge of disappointment from an album when the best songs are the first and last ones.

Not really a slight on the quality though, more saying how *bleep*ing quality Do I Wanna Know? and I Wanna Be Yours are.

Very very good album.

Sep 04, 13 at 2:02pm
EricF

The new album's alright, but I'm quite disappointed to be honest. It just doesn't sound new to me. If it doesn't sound like Portugal. The Man, it sounds like Queens of the Stone Age.

Aug 03, 13 at 9:23am
Munroe

I can't wait for AM, it will be their best album since FWN...it might even be better than it.

Jul 30, 13 at 5:32am
EricF

quote Bollo
R U Mine? is actually going to be on their next album, so you were technically right EricF. Do I Wanna Know? is a great song though, even if I've heard it so many times now I'm getting a little bit bored. Humbug's the one that sounds more like QOTSA as well, there's a few on Suck It and See but Humbug's the one generally acknowledged to have the most QOTSA influence since it was produced by Josh Homme.
Ahhh, I knew I heard he produced one of them. I wiki'd Suck It and See and seen he didn't produce it so assumed I was just misinformed.

Jul 30, 13 at 4:54am
Bollo

R U Mine? is actually going to be on their next album, so you were technically right EricF. Do I Wanna Know? is a great song though, even if I've heard it so many times now I'm getting a little bit bored. Humbug's the one that sounds more like QOTSA as well, there's a few on Suck It and See but Humbug's the one generally acknowledged to have the most QOTSA influence since it was produced by Josh Homme.

Seen these live twice very recently, Alex's stage presence is a million miles away from where it used to be, much better live outfit now then they used to be. Wish they'd change the setlist a bit more though.

Jul 25, 13 at 7:51am
EricF

Just heard Do I Wanna Know? for the first time and it's a pretty good tune. It's straight up Queens of the Stone Age though - you can see the effect Homme had on the band while being involved on their last record and this new one.