Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers » Day 6--Rada drum freeze? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 07, 05 at 1:16amclinkit

Hi...I've scanned the other threads in this forum and found all the answers to my compatibility problems so far (the One Save File thing was SO helpful, thanks!), but as far as I can tell nobody has asked about this problem yet...
When I click the Rada Drum book on the drummer in Jackson Square to figure out what he's saying, the screen opens to show the page of the book, but then I get a series of Windows fault messages: "wavOutUnprepareHeader: An invalid parameter was passed to a system function." and "wavOutClose: The specified device handle is invalid." These messages just keep popping up until I exit the game..

Has anyone else had this problem? The fact that there's been no post about it makes me worried.. Or, barring that, is there somebody who understands computer jargon better than me who can tell me what my computer's problem is? I don't understand what it's saying.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. After having bullied my way through to this point in the game, it's really frustrating to run into an insurmountable obstacle now.

-Caitlin.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 14, 06 at 2:53pm
Evie

I had the same problem with the CD ROM version (running on XP). I cleaned up the drives, ran Scan Disc and Defrag and somehow that helped. It did not crash at that point the next time.

Feb 26, 05 at 2:20am
wassupwassupwassup

Depending on whether you have the dos version you will have to download DOSBOX. (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net)

If you are using the windows version you will have to download GABRIEL KNIGHT 2000 (http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/)

And if you have the pirated version you are pretty well up some creak without a paddle

Feb 12, 05 at 2:25am
clinkit

Umm... *L* well, thanks for the hints, but I know how to play the game. My problem isn't Not Knowing What To Do, it's Not Being Able to Do It.

And oddly enough, I can't get the game to function at ALL with Doxbox, I've tried it before. The only program since 3.1 that's been able to handle it (for me) is XP. Go figure.

But thanks for responding.

Feb 11, 05 at 10:52pm
pintbitter

To fix the XP problem use Dosbox.

Here are some hints for day 6:

Day 6
Problem:
St. George's Book Shop
Read your morning paper. Talk to Grace. Notice that someone has left you an envelope at your door. Take the envelope and read the note inside. This will give you a letter and key in your inventory. Use the tattoo tracing on Grace. Tell Grace you are going to a party. Ask her if she is jealous. She will then put the tattoo on you.
Problem:
Jackson Square
Talk to the Beignet Vendor. Tell him to return to the police station as part of his route. Use the Rada Drum book on the Drummer. This will allow you to interpret and send drum messages. The first page of symbols are used for the main part of the message. Choose "Call Conclave". Turn the page to the available times. Choose "Tonight". The third page tells where. Choose "Swamp".
Once you have assembled your message, use the icon bar to select exit. If you make a mistake you can go to the icon bar to erase it and try again. The entire message should be: Call Conclave - Tonight - Swamp. This will put Bayou St. John on your Greater New Orleans map.
Problem:
How do I enter Mosely's office if he is not there?
Watch the desk sergeant and wait for him to fall asleep. You may then enter Mosely's office.
Problem:
Mosely's office
Use the "open" icon on his desk drawer and look in the drawer. Take the tracking device.
Problem:
Voodoo Museum
Go to the Voodoo Museum and place the tracking device in the "Sekey Madoul", the little ritual coffin.

Feb 07, 05 at 1:21am
clinkit

oh yes, and i forgot to mention... I too am struggling through playing the game in WinXP...
although, funny enough, everybody complains about the XP problems, yet this is the first computer I've managed to successfully run the game on (at aLL) in about 6 years...our copy of Win2000 (and even the Dos prompt from Win2000) simply refused to run it at all. Strange.

Feb 07, 05 at 1:16am
clinkit

Hi...I've scanned the other threads in this forum and found all the answers to my compatibility problems so far (the One Save File thing was SO helpful, thanks!), but as far as I can tell nobody has asked about this problem yet...
When I click the Rada Drum book on the drummer in Jackson Square to figure out what he's saying, the screen opens to show the page of the book, but then I get a series of Windows fault messages: "wavOutUnprepareHeader: An invalid parameter was passed to a system function." and "wavOutClose: The specified device handle is invalid." These messages just keep popping up until I exit the game..

Has anyone else had this problem? The fact that there's been no post about it makes me worried.. Or, barring that, is there somebody who understands computer jargon better than me who can tell me what my computer's problem is? I don't understand what it's saying.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. After having bullied my way through to this point in the game, it's really frustrating to run into an insurmountable obstacle now.

-Caitlin.