Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Logitech Z-5500 subwoofer hum » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.

hideOriginal Post

Feb 06, 05 at 9:31amwaflar

Hi, I am a new Z-5500 user, and I have noticed some subwoffer humming.

I experience a low buzz/hum coming from the sub when the system is on (blue console led). It's clearly audible when no music is playing. It is still there when nothing is hooked up to the console, even in MUTE mode. I have examined it a bit and I am pretty sure this sound is made by the speaker itself (it's best heard from the subwoffer's front side). The does not get louder or softer with changes in the volume setting and there is no hiss from the satellites.

I have tried turning off the system, unplugging the console cable and re-plugging it in firmly but that doesn't seem to help.

The hum goes away when the unit is turned off via either the control pod or the switch on the back of the sub. In standby mode when I get closer with my ear to the sub I hear a bit if buzzing, from the inside, though it's much less noticeable than the buzzing when the system is on.

I have already tried changing the polarity, with no effect.

If there are any z-5500 users, please let me know, if you also suffer from this issue?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 20, 13 at 1:06pm
alex mandas

my front l and r speakers not working !!!!! what is the problem ??? please help

Jun 03, 12 at 12:31pm
Jevie

UPDATE:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1/t501181-logitech-5500-subwoofer-hum/4.htm#52

Refer to this Forum, I recently posted my Fix and a detailed solutoin for anyone still trying to fix thier system.

please note, in any attempt to fix your system, please find assistance from a technical person or you yourself need be technical as this is not an easy fix to non technical people.,,

in short, just read the "!!!IN SHORT!!!!" of my response.

Sincerely
Jevie (B. Jevon Davis)

Good Luck!

Jun 03, 12 at 11:58am
Jevie

quote krallopian
I just bought a "refurbished" set of Z5500, and immediately after setting them up they didn't work. A VERY loud and extremely annoying HUM from all the speakers. Only on 6 channel/stereo modes, not on Optical or Coax (and regardless of any inputs being hooked up)

Just speakers plugged in to woofer, and wwhen I would hit "power" on the control pod, it would start humming immediatly.

I ripped the box apart, and saw that the two capacitors were both loose (on the power supply) so I ripped all that apart, resoldered the connections and glued the things down, and turned it on and PRESTO, fixed!

Not an easy fix for someone without experience, but technically its very simple. I figured who ever had these before me rattled the crap out of the box (loosening the capacitors) and well... I "un" loosened them by simply soldering them back in place.

Very happy, amazingly strong system!!

I signed up to this page to post this, hoping it will help someone down the road - since I couldn't find this fix anywhere. Enjoy!
There is an IN Short And IN Long Response with my solution
if you want the problem short and simple In Short is for You, want detail and to compare the problems with your Pod and System (Humm, etc.) then Read the In Long.

!!!!IN LONG!!! (Detailed)
I've Had This issue myself, my woofer & sattelites would HUMM a whole lot (satellites less noticeable) and there would be nothing plugged into the control pod. in the direct mode this hum would be most noticeable, whereas in Optical and Coax it would not even be there BUT this is only due to the fact that these are digital and only are turned on when there is an input coming through them. you can try this by playing something very soft and turning up the volume on the sub and system, you will immediately notice that the humm is still there but just slightly suppressed. in direct, if you go to effect you will notice that the hum is also less as there is digital processing being done and the noise becomes suppressed.

NOW after all this description. re-soldering and gluing the two large capacitors (Su'scon 10,000uf 50V) if they are loose, will fix this hum, one of mine were loose due to the hammering of the woofer on the system. now if the hum does persist, there is also another culprit to the problem, and if your control pod gets power but fails to turn on sometimes, this is also the culprit. I'll tell you that it is a capacitor and exactly which one it is.

The Second Culprit is the second largest capacitor in the amp, it is a Black 25v 4700uf capacitor (branded TBOR).

the way i found this out was actually my troubleshooting the system, i bought wires and extended the amplifier wires and put the amplifier on top of the woofer in order for me to troubleshoot it while using the system for a few days. i cut a thin wood and drilled the holes to match and screwed it onto the back of the woofer box to prevent leakage of the bass. now thinking to myself, the woofer technically helps to keep the amp cool by the air forced onto it, and thinking again before solving the issue, i put a small fan on the amp to keep it cool, this works excellently. if too close however, the fans motor does give feedback hum through the amp, and when lifted away it goes (interesting note to self). NOTE: the humm issue of my system would only come when it chose, and would not go unless i turned it off for a while, and when playing music loudly or turning it up this humm would've come instantly, (that was while the amp was inside the unit). with the amp external it first came on with the hum, darn i almost lost all hope of fixing this system BUT i got it to power on once without the humm (THANK GOD), and it actually lasted so for a few days, i put the sub on level 2 volume just in case.
either way, finally today I found this problem actually by accident in fixing the hum, i thought it was the transistors on either side of the amp with the white contact liquid thing on them. the fan i had i had it on the amp, a small 12v fan. moved it and bam the noise went away, i was puzzle for a while but this kept me interested, so i fiddled. thinking to myself this must have been a wire which had a crack/break or cold joint soldering on it, so i shook the wires gently trying to see what would happen with the volume up enough to hear the hum, my finger happened to hit the capacitor, and bam it went, then it came back LOUD as would sometimes, i hit it again and bam it went away. now i wouldnt want the capacitor to explode on me so i was very cautious at this point, but every time the humm came i gently pushed the 25v 4700uf capacitor to any desired side to see what would happen, the humm either came or went away. my pod refused to turn on at different times before finding this issue out, and opening the system, now whenever it refused to turn on i just push the cap to the side and one way or the other it would either turn on or persist. BAM! problem found. did some tests to confirm, yup its definitely the cap.
Note that symptoms was with the humm, and the pod on direct, my remote would not respond BUT with it on optical or any other mode it would work. just a random symptom.
also not that i made a usb fan using a small 12v fan and usb cable and a tester and connected it, and hooked it top the back of the pod to keep it cool, this actually keeps the pod EXTREMELY cool, and isnt noisy, so here's a thought for those of you with control pods that usually get hot after or during hours of use. using it now, for hours, and it stays cool. i put the fan on the body external at the back of the pod, and put it to suck air out from the pod as if it were to blow in, it would not have anywhere to escape (not to self).

well, now you know the trouble i went through in order to fix this, p.s still under warranty and Logitech offered a refund after lots of trials and error, excellent Customer support by the way (well Excellent IN WARRANTY Support. lol)
actually i did do one more thing, i actually created my own bypass cable for this system using info found on the web on this. NOTE TO SELF: the system works perfectly and sounds amazing with the bypass cable, BUT all you get is a direct hook-up, ooh, i also recommend using an Equalizer with this system (Bypass cable or No Bypass cable, it improves the sound alot, and gives you more control of how you want your system to sound). (created a way to use the 5.1 on the pod and connect it to the equalizer... lets just say i am very good with electronics and have a like/knack for these things...) either way, i can upload pictures if necessary or requested, well, as till i put the amp back inside the sub after changing or soldering the Faulty 25v Cap. !!!!IN SHORT!!!! well this should fix a lot of peoples problems.
IN SHORT, It can Be the Two Large Su'scon 10,000uf 50V Capacitors and or Also the Smaller but still large Black TBOR 25v 4700uf Capacitor. also for some it could the the Transformer leaking feedback to the amp or the speaker. (i troubleshoot to the extreme, not my fault... )
Well GOOD LUCK To ALL Fixing Your Logitech z5500 Systems Out There

will be sending my knowledge and result to Logitech, hopefully this can help them to fix alot of their z5500 systems.
also got sum ideas as to the next Predecessor, but thats if they're interested in my thoughts... oh well.
GOOD LUCK

Sincerely Jevie
(B. Jevon Davis)

Jan 17, 12 at 8:44am
myrberg89

hi . I know its maybe a bit late but ill tro my luck anyway. And im from sweden so sorry if my english is bad. I have the exact same problem as krallopain and i dont know what to do. Ive Open the sub but everything looks fint to my ountrained eye. Plz help

Feb 20, 11 at 6:44am
bastoru

Hi,

I replaced the coax cable with a TOSLink optic cable and the humming reduced to neglible levels.

Nov 11, 10 at 2:41am
krallopian

I just bought a "refurbished" set of Z5500, and immediately after setting them up they didn't work. A VERY loud and extremely annoying HUM from all the speakers. Only on 6 channel/stereo modes, not on Optical or Coax (and regardless of any inputs being hooked up)

Just speakers plugged in to woofer, and wwhen I would hit "power" on the control pod, it would start humming immediatly.

I ripped the box apart, and saw that the two capacitors were both loose (on the power supply) so I ripped all that apart, resoldered the connections and glued the things down, and turned it on and PRESTO, fixed!

Not an easy fix for someone without experience, but technically its very simple. I figured who ever had these before me rattled the crap out of the box (loosening the capacitors) and well... I "un" loosened them by simply soldering them back in place.

Very happy, amazingly strong system!!

I signed up to this page to post this, hoping it will help someone down the road - since I couldn't find this fix anywhere. Enjoy!

Oct 24, 10 at 8:24pm
Luniclipse

I would like to share my experience with my system (z-5500). I had a hum noise when led is blue with no input/digital input. playing with level of bass do nothing.

the first thing i tried is to unscrew the beast to see from where the sound come from.

Unplugging the 10" sub eliminate the hum noise. In fact there is still a little small minuscule noise coming from the toroidal transfo wich is normal.

So to see if my sub was damaged i plugged another similar sub to my z5500. The result is no hum.

I unscrew the 10" sub place it next to z5500 and connect it back. result no hum noise.

My Conclusion: Toroidal transfo throw magnetism into the air when powered ON and the speaker sub magnet catch those EMI because the distance between the two of them is too short.

Solution 1 : Buy shielded 10" sub 8ohm like ALPINE ones (expensive)
Solution 2 : Isolate sub with home made shield (degrade subwoofer sound)
Solution 3 : Isolate transfo with home made shield (degrade effiency of transfo)
Solution 4 : Relocate transfo far enough to 0 noise (seems the best of all above)

Oct 09, 09 at 4:18pm
Citizenn

quote Waxinator
The hum problem can be fixed in two ways.

First unscrew the 18 screws and fold out the heat-sink back-panel. Look inside towards the right and you see the ring-transformer.

Using a 14mm wrench-key you can either(1) tightened the loose bolt or(2) completely remove the transformer and with tie-wraps fix it to the rear side of the wooden triangle. Put some foam-plastic cushion around the transformer, isolating its vibrations from the box.

I now have one pretty silent(1) and one completely silent(2) bass units.

Thanks for the help, mine is silent now

Oct 09, 09 at 5:18am
Dancas

Hi,

I have problem in Z-5500. My two Front satellite is very low compare to 2 Rear and center. You cannot even hear it. My dvd has a dts 5.1 and set it up to my player. When i'm playing, in the control lcd, it is Optical and has dts indication. It is supposed to be 5.1 sound but the two front is very low. Is it in the cable of each speaker, or in the optical cable i'm using?

Sep 13, 09 at 9:36am
Waxinator

The hum problem can be fixed in two ways.

First unscrew the 18 screws and fold out the heat-sink back-panel. Look inside towards the right and you see the ring-transformer.

Using a 14mm wrench-key you can either(1) tightened the loose bolt or(2) completely remove the transformer and with tie-wraps fix it to the rear side of the wooden triangle. Put some foam-plastic cushion around the transformer, isolating its vibrations from the box.

I now have one pretty silent(1) and one completely silent(2) bass units.