Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Franz Ferdinand » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Apr 28, 04 at 3:08pmBigRedMachine

I assume that the other FF thread got close due to lack of information about the band. Well, they deserve a thread so let's do it right.

Including bassist Bob Hardy, guitarist/vocalist Alex Kapranos, guitarist/organist/vocalist Nick McCarthy & drummer Paul Thomson, Franz Ferdinand hail from Scotland. Formed after Alex convinced Bob to learn how to play the bass, Franz Ferdinand's early mission was to "make music that girls could dance to." On the strength of that goal, Franz Ferdinand played their first gig at the Girl Art exhibition at the Glasgow School Of Art. Franz Ferdinand went on to play a few gigs in London and win a deal with Domino Record Co.

We all know what happened after that. They played a lot of gigs, going back to 2002 with their tourdates. They never really became big untill they release their album Franz Ferdinand and the single [b]Take Me Out[/i]. It became a hit and they were suddenly noticed. Not long after that they released their second (and my favorite) single Matinee. Now they are the new big band in town and their tour is fully booked. They even come to Holland here on Pinkpop, which is like one of the biggest festivals here.

And let's not forget their videos, which both have been pieces of art to me. You just have to see them to believe it. I seriously wished that I lived in the 30's when I saw the Matinee video.

The album:

1. Jacqueline
2. Tell Her Tonight
3. Take Me Out
4. Matinee
5. Auf Achse
6. Cheating On You
7. This Fire
8. Darts Of Pleasure
9. Michael
10. Come On Home
11. 40 ft

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 13, 13 at 3:35pm
Chaosfire

quote Euphoric
I've always liked these guys. I mean they aren't brilliant or anything, but I have a few of their songs and if I ever hear it getting played I'll turn it up. Thing is I couldn't name more than 2-3 of their songs but if I heard them I could tell you it's them.
Yeah, they've got a nice signature to their sound. Something I always notice is their drumming, primarily that snare and that cymbal.

Sep 10, 13 at 9:28am
orochimaru1993

I'm a big fan of the new album, still doing what they do best...Writing catchy, dancey pop songs.

Sep 09, 13 at 6:26am
EvilTediz597

FEATURED ARTIST (9/9 - 9/16)

After four years of gradual progress, Scottish band Franz Ferdinand has returned with their new album, Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action.

From the New Album

Don't ask me why, but for some reason I feel their debut really plays well with Bioshock, and I'm wondering if their second album does the same for the second Bioshock - especially with a song called "Eleanor Put Your Boots Back On".

Dec 30, 12 at 3:17pm
EvilTediz597

quote orochimaru1993
Anyone heard news of a new album from these guys? I seem to remember hearing that they were planning to have an album out this year, but I haven't heard anything.
Still working on it, I reckon, though they have played some new songs live over the summer. Some song titles have been thrown around and I like them, like "I'll Never Get Your Bullet Out of my Head".

I look forward to the new album, whenever it surfaces. I've enjoyed their other stuff, their debut especially. One of the best of all time.

Dec 30, 12 at 9:51am
orochimaru1993

Anyone heard news of a new album from these guys? I seem to remember hearing that they were planning to have an album out this year, but I haven't heard anything.

Mar 14, 09 at 5:04pm
VulcanRaven

Just recently d/l'ed Tonight: Franz Ferdinand a few days ago, I'm loving this album so far. I've always been a fan of these guys, clean catchy songs that I can listen to regardless of what mood I'm in. "What She Came For" seems to be the biggest gem on this album so far, had that song stuck in my head ever since listening to it the first time.

I gotta disagree with you though, Fourth Dimension, when comparing this album to their first album I think this one definitely takes it. I just prefer the much cleaner sound on this album. Regardless, both albums are great.

Mar 14, 09 at 6:44am
Euphoric

I've always liked these guys. I mean they aren't brilliant or anything, but I have a few of their songs and if I ever hear it getting played I'll turn it up. Thing is I couldn't name more than 2-3 of their songs but if I heard them I could tell you it's them.

Mar 14, 09 at 6:42am
AnonymousGuy

lol @ myself from 3 years ago

Jesus has it been that long?

Anyway I've been waiting forever for Franz to release some new material I haven't listened to them in ages. I finally decided to see when they would finally release a new album and lo and behold they already had it out. So a short download later and here I am. I quite like it.

I know Franz Ferdinand are supposed to be on the out, but there is something undeniably irresistable for me about Franz Ferdinand. Maybe it's the catchiness. Maybe it's the sexiness of all the songs. It's harsh enough to be cool and catchy enough to stick.

So I still like Franz Ferdinand. Doesn't seem to have changed.

The new album is up there with You Could Have it So Much Better, I think. It's got the same maturity of sound that their debut clearly lacked. It's not as energetic as their sophomore release but the heavier synth is actually a welcome addition that gives the album a fresh edge.

Jan 22, 09 at 6:38pm
Stefan

the lead singer used to be a guitar teacher at my school.

Glasgow comrads.

Jan 14, 09 at 3:33am
GregtheGreat

I've got it, and I'm impressed by it. It's a different sound, miles better than their second album. Not sure how much I like it in comparison to the debut though, it doesn't have any real stand out tracks like the debut but I think overall it's a solid album. Not a track on it that I dislike.