Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Altec Lansing 641 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 04, 04 at 12:11amethelb

Does anybody know if there was any success in getting some kind of an explanation why this model seems to have an inherent defect in the circuit board? I have read old messages about this and I did not find anymore update. I guess the problem came later in my own speakers compared to the rest. I tried to call their technical support but all they ask from you is your phone number and name with a promise to call you within the day. But they never did! And I called twice!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 03, 14 at 1:35am
michael23

I have a altec 641 for sale with the speakers and remote control also comes with a technics 100w 5-6 channel dvd vga turner phono auxiliary cords and all works if interested please email. Best offer

Jul 03, 14 at 1:24am
michael2384

I have altec 641 I am trying to sell it I am looking for the best offer anyone still here interested please email me

Jun 14, 13 at 12:03pm
Malice3672

I'm in need of a remote for these, as mine was crushed and has major issues, anyone know where I might get one? =/

Although my sub has never died on me mine have always had a slight buzz then on, is there a way to fix that? I remember back when I first got them way back when that there was some talk of a fix for that issue.

Apr 03, 13 at 4:00pm
fgovro

Hi guys, just an update,

I have been running the 641 with Paradigm Titans up front, and Paradigm SE 3 on the rears, and vice versa.

The unit has enough power to run these speakers no problem, tons of bass, clean highs, and it goes LOUD!

I have a very expensive setup with amps and large speakers etc etc, but i prefer to use this for the ease and the space saving.

I have put all my high end goods away, and I do not miss them a bit.

My advice?

If you have a 641, try hooking up a pair of easy to drive speakers and you'll see an instant improvement over the ones provided with the unit.

Now you can watch movies, listen to music, etc with the click of a button, and don't need 7 (yes I have 7! remotes!)

one remote and I can do it all. I hope my amp lasts forever.

Mar 12, 13 at 3:44pm
choppb21

My unit died...same thing sound from sats but none from sub...popped out q6 without adding the 10 ohm resistor and it works...not sure how and why but it sure works

Feb 08, 13 at 10:05pm
veedubxlr8r

Looking for a bit of technical information on this system. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Back in 2002, I bought this system before I headed off to college. It was everything I asked for, and never let me down. However, after moving back home, my parents' house was struck by lightning, and my 641's subwoofers were no more. So after about 8 years of waiting, I finally took the time to check them out.

First, the subwoofers are toasted... Voice coils were nearly seized. Now, my initial questions are:

-Where do I go about finding replacement speakers?
-Does anyone have wattage and frequency specs for the original speakers?

I am considering aftermarket woofers, in the 4 ohm range, but have considered going for lower wattage, 8 ohm speakers of a comparable nature, if possible.

Second, I'm going to follow repair to the "clamp circuit," and just cross my fingers. However, given the electrical spike that caused this problem, I suspect there may be more to this repair than just a simple fix.

-While doing this repair, is there anything I should look for (or check with a multimeter) to verify that there isn't any more damage? I will be checking for obvious damaged components, following removal and a visual inspection of the board.

Lastly, I am by no means qualified to diagnose circuit boards (I'm far more comfortable in the automotive field) , but I do have some circuit repair/soldering experience. If all else fails, a close friend of mine has a working 641 somewhere in storage, which he said I can have, and I'll tear mine back apart for some custom alterations.

Jan 24, 13 at 8:23pm
rodril3

Scoob,

If you're still reading this forum, i'm in need of some help.. I have tried everything I could think of and have re-read this forum over and over.. After 10 years of use, the sub decided to go out.. I am getting voltage readings from C44 and C45, the AC voltage looks good.. I'm not sure what else to try.. I know the speakers work.. any ideas from you or anyone on the forum is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Nov 20, 12 at 6:16am
Scoob

quote BluzBug
I just need instructions on how to get these thing apart!!
To get access to the internal components of the 641 sub, you have to go through the front, removing the upper woofer. Gently pry up the metal grill cover to remove, then unscrew woofer. Do not stick prying device too far in so you don't poke a hole, or tear the woofer cone, or surround. See previous posts.

Nov 20, 12 at 6:12am
Scoob

quote Michael lim
quote jaibron
Cablemonkey is a scholar and a gentleman. I took some pics and he pointed out exactly what to do. Here's hoping I can save someone else the hassle of finding all this information. Thanks again!

anon at darknet dot dreamhosters dot com

Anyone still active here?does this really work?i notice in the picture that you remove the q6.so how about the connection from r33 going to the u11?
The outlined section is the clamp circuitry for the power supply. Adding the 10 ohm resistor, "clamps" the supply, bypassing the R33 to U11.

Nov 20, 12 at 6:04am
Scoob

HI EVERYONE!

I'M BACK!!! BEEN A LOOOONG TIME. YES, IT'S ME, "SCOOB"

I see the 641 has been having a "hard" death When I repaired my 641 with the 10 ohm resistor back in 2005, the system is still working to this day, haven't had any trouble with it. Over the years I have found the 641's predecessor, the DELL ADA995, it is a 5.1 THX certified system. The only thing I don't like about it is, there isn't a volume control, or control pod. However, don't let that stop you from getting one, if you find one for sale. Like the 641, the ADA995 does not disappoint! Pair it with a good sound card, and your in business. I have been using a sound blaster X-Fi, over the years with an ADA995.

It really sucks no one is making anything like this anymore, with out having to stock pile equipment for a 5.1 set-up. I think Altec Lansing was ahead of their time with the 641 and the ADA995.

When I get time, I will see about posting all of the information I had put together on the 641 for those of us who still have a 641 and would like to keep it working. Been extremely busy over the years, didn't mean to "abandon ship".