Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » DRAFT: Audio Forum FAQ » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Nov 27, 01 at 12:24pmMoots

Hi All,

preamble
This thread will be the draft forum FAQ. Why draft? Well a) I'm not going to be the only one contributing, I hope so lets get everyone's input, and b) Redeption is planning a Neo FAQ.

The Neo FAQ will be a hardcore searchable FAQ which will encompass all fora and will hopefully enable all Neo users to share FAQs across boards. This is a clear way forward (imo) as there is quite a bit of crossover here with audio, computers, av systems and the like, and a broad FAQ with subject context is better than individual unlniked ones.

The implementation of the Neo FAQ will take place next year (hence this thread) - for now all the admins are busy migrating servers and suchlike. If I hear more about it, I'll let you know.

Here's the draft FAQ: comments, suggestions etc please post to the thread for discussion. We can flesh out the headings as we go.

NOTE: The FAQ is not meant to stop people posting problems or queries to the board, it's just an effort to filter out the questions which we see often and have a straightforward answer.

Ta

Moots
Draft FAQ Topics

How do you encode high quality MP3s?
quote Moots
Currently recommended for ripping & encoding are:
  • EAC (Exact Audio Copy), due to its ability to ensure accuracy of extraction from CD
  • LAME ("Lame Ain't an Mp3 Encoder"), as it is the most accurate mp3 encoder. For download locations, see below...
Quick Start (info from r3mix under "encoding"):
1. To download LAME, try mp3 tech, there are downloads for Windows, DOS and Linux. Current recommended version of LAME is 3.90. If you have problems finding the latest version, try http://home.pi.be/~mk442837/ for executables plus a list of other sites.
2. Download EAC
3. Lame settings (no quotes): "--r3mix"
4. Setup LAME to work with EAC
5. Optionally setup Razorlame (explained at http://www.r3mix.net) to make batching easier

For more info checkout r3mix.net: tutorials, setup etc.

To find out why this is our recommended route, check out http://www.r3mix.net - there is an in-depth look at mp3 quality and audio ripping.

To cut a long story short: EAC can extract the data 100% reliably (OR inform of all errors), and LAME provides the most accurate MP3 encoding. The VBR bitrate used in the LAME settings above is essentially a compromise towards quality i.e. files will be ~10-30% (in my experience) larger than 128kbit encodes, but will sound more accurate.

I have problem X with my Y; I can't/can I do X with...
quote Moots
Here are a few things to checkout before posting:
  • Check your manual. Sounds lame, but especially for "can I connect to this using digital..." - the answer is there
  • Check the manufacturer's FAQ and support pages on the web. These will often have solutions to common problems.
If you can't find a URL in your manual, try a Google search with the company name, and perhaps a relevant word or two e.g. Asus motherboard home. If still no joy, try Neo company search, from the main page.
Why do you always say "let us know how you get on"?
quote Moots
So we know we're giving good advice, plus people with the same problem using the "search" facility would like to see an outcome.

This is also true if this FAQ sorted your problem...how else can we get be sure we've got the frequently asked questions in there?

If it's a commonly asked question or fix to a problem, we can stick in in the FAQ.

Where can I get drivers for...
quote Moots
First stop: the Neoseeker Audio board drivers thread: "Drivers! Get Your Drivers!". If you can't find what you need on there, check the "Second Stop" info below. When you do find what you need, post the URL (or URL & path to get there if you can't get a full URL) into the Drivers thread.

Second stop: manufacturers website, support section (see above). Otherwise, try a Google search e.g. Asus P2B Driver. If you have problems finding or downloading drivers, try emailing manufacturer's support department (email address from their website).

What [insert hardware type here] do you recommend for $X and why?
Why don't you like [insert hardware type here], I've read lots of good reviews? (e.g. pre 5.1 Klipch, Bose)
How should I evaluate speakers/amps/cdplayer etc?
Glossary: What does X word mean? (e.g. PMPO, RMS)
Where can I buy a...?
quote Moots
First stop: manufacturers website, most will have a list of distributors or resellers. (see above). Otherwise, try a Google search e.g. Asus P2B buy. If still no joy, try the contacts page of the manufacturer webby and email the Sales or Support department.

Why not to believe most PC audio reviews
Tricks salesmen use to sell you rubbish
My speakers don't sound as good as they did in the shop...why? (speaker placement, burn-in etc)

You <insert profanity here>, why are you not replying to my post?!
quote Moots
Sometimes we can be slow replying to posts. We're not ignoring you - don't forget we're not paid support staff, we read the board and reply in our spare time. If you're unlucky and we're all busy, you might not get a reply for a couple of days.

To give us a push, just reply (with a hint) to your original message so it pops to the top of the board again, and no need for questioning our parentage or assuming things about our sexual orientations.

I can't edit my posts
quote Moots
The usual cause of this is posting anonymously (shown as "unwashed heathen" under your posting name) - that is, posting without creating yourself a Neoseeker Forums login. You cannot edit or delete anonymous posts you have made.

Once you register and login, you can edit and delete your posts.

NOTE: you will still not be able to edit your previous anonymous posts, even when registered.
I want to know about CD-R standards
quote Moots
Check out the CDR FAQ at http://www.cdrfaq.org/, which is pretty comprehensive
I got mp3 player X and the card Y with ZZ MB of memory. I get the message: "internal FAT error" (or similar)
quote Alex G
Usually, when users get those messages, it means that the card should be formatted, because some players use some Flash ID techs, etc. [= a proprietry format?]

Normally, try to look in your player software. Most likely when you hook the player to the pc, open the software, you should find the option to do the formatting. Usually it might be called: "initialize flash card", "format flash card", etc. If it does't work, or hangs up during the formatting try doing it on other OSes, since most software doesn't work well with all the latest OSes (Windows XP, sometimes Windows 2000).

<end>

This message was edited by Moots on Mar 27 2002.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 25, 05 at 1:21am
ihaveadream

I want to have a account of dark and light , and I try my best to register on www.darkandlight.us but I did not get one soj account .who can tell me how to get it .
Thank you very much .

Jul 01, 05 at 10:59pm
augustwestny

When I want to put a disc on y ZM there are no song or artist tags. Is there an easier way to get the name and songs to appear without typing all of the info in manually??
Im new to this and all that typing seems like a drag.

Thanks

May 03, 05 at 8:35pm
Dark Samurai

Is it alright for me to post a question about my speakers in this thread? Well, my speakers are crackling. I'm using Speaker System SP-691N Dynamic sound 200 watts. I exchanged them for another one of the same brand and eveything and these are worse. Is this a voltage problem? Or sound I just buy a new and better kind? Or is it something else?

Jul 02, 03 at 9:02pm
Andyc

When i can be arsed (not now tbh ).

Jun 23, 03 at 3:06am
dm74

RE the glossary of terms:

What about something on Bass Crossover (and the distinction between active and passive), Optical Cables, THX, power ratings (wattage, ohm ratings etc.)?

Feb 24, 03 at 10:13pm
Andyc

Here is the first version of Audio terms. If you feel information is wrong / missing then fel free to pm me about it.

Audio terms V1.0
Written by Andyc
It helps your understanding of this if you know a little about computers!

A
AC-3 Known as dolby Digital.

Analog to Digital Converter The device used to translate an analog audio or video (pure wave) signal into a digital (binary) signal. This signal can then be amplified and sent to a speaker or other output device. Also known as A/D Converter or A to D.

B
Bandwidth A measure of frequency range. An adults typical hearing range is from 20hz to around 20,000 hz (20khz)

C
Center channel The speaker that produces the dialogue in films etc. Usually only used in games and films altough you do find 5.1 music these days.

Coaxial A type of cable used heavely in audio where a central wire is surronded by an outer wire.

Codec A term used for a chip or program that encodes / decodes digital data.

D
Digital Signal Sound waves, video or other information represented as a series of binary numbers, 1 or 0, or a positive or negative electrical charge.

Distortion Any change at all made to the sound by any type of equipment.

Dolby pro logic (II) A decoder that manupliates a stero signal into 4 channels. IT is mainly used in home cimema to create a sound that is close to what is heard on cinemas.

Dolby digital Dolby digital is thought to be a level above Dolby pro logic where the sound is divided into 6 discreet channels(left and right front, center, left and right surround and low frequency effects channel). which is only found in DVD's at the moment. Currently only availible in 16 bit audio.

DTS (Digital Theater System). Simular to Dolby Digital audio except it offers 20 bit audio and offers higher fidelity. This allows for a higher sampling rate and overall better sound quailty. This also has its drawbacks

E
EAX Eax is a technology introduced by creative in a few of there sound cards. For more information see Here.

F
Firewire Capable of data rates of up to 450 mbps what you can connect your mP3 player to.

G

H

I

J

K

Kilohertz/kHz A numeric term representing thousands of Hertz (Hz). 20,000 Hz = 20kHz. See "Hertz"

L
Loudness The intensity of a sound as perceived by a listener.

M
MP3 A file format used for compressing digital audio files. Originally from "MPEG-2, audio layer 3"

Mono Sound recorded or broadcast on a single channel. An abbreviation of monaural.

N
Noise Reduction refers to the removal of unwanted noise, static, frequencies or distortion from audio or video source signal using electronic filters. A field pioneered by Ray Dolby to deal with the inherent noise of audio cassettes. Now the term is used more generally.

O
Oversampling is a technique in which the number of samples taken to translate a signal from analog to digital is higher than the standard rate. The standard rate for sampling on CD recordings, for example, is 44,100 samples per second. Oversampling allows for much better audio quality.

P
Powered Subwoofer A low-frequency speaker system with a built-in amplifier that delivers deep-bass impact. Powered subs have to be plugged in.

Proximity Effect When a speaker is placed close to a wall, floor, or corner, the bass response can increase more than the higher frequencies. Proximity effect can also occur when a directional microphone is placed too close to a sound source such as a vocalist or instrument.

Q

R

S
Sample A "snapshot" of an analog audio signal, taken over a very short period of time. Sampling is used to prepare a signal for translation from analog to digital. The sampling rate for CDs is generally 44.1 kHz, or 44,100 samples per second.

Stereo Sound recorded and broadcast over two or more channels. When stereo sound is broadcast, the listener perceives a spatial continuity of sound that fills the space between the two speakers

Subwoofer A driver used to produce the lowest notes, usually those with a frequency of 120Hz or less.

Surround speakers Speakers that reproduce the ambient sounds or "special effects" in a surround sound system. These speakers are often placed on the side walls towards the rear of the listening area.

T
THD Total Harmonic Distortion A specification that indicates the amount of change to the signal between the input and output of an audio device such as an amplifier or receiver or even a speaker. A high level of harmonic distortion can cause the output sound to be "harsh" or "brassy." THD is usually expressed as a percentage. Audio amplifiers operating within their rated output exhibit distortion well below 1% and is extremely hard to hear. Clipping distortion occurs much more frequently (every time an amplifier is overdriven). The THD skyrockets abruptly to 25% or higher and is easy to hear.

U
USB Standing for Universal Serial Bus. Basically what we all connect our MP3 players too. This or Firewire.

V

W
Wavelength The distance a pressure wave travels away from its point of origin before another pressure wave is emitted. In sound, high frequencies have short wavelengths (less than an inch to four or five inches). They are easily blocked or reflected. Low frequencies have very long wavelengths (10 feet to 40 feet). They are very hard to block or contain and travel farther because of this.

X

Y

Z

Edit Some bad markup mistakes.

Nov 11, 02 at 5:46pm
Moots

Hi Redemption,

Cheers for the effort! Sorry I've not been a regular contributor to the Audio Board lately, real life has been a bummer for the last couple of months so unfortunately spending time here has suffered.

Hopefully I'll be able to pop back more often as life gets easier...

Moots

Oct 31, 02 at 9:35am
Redemption

hi guys. I haven't forgotten you. I just wanted to drop by and let you guys know I'm still working on the "neofaq" system. It's not going to be as robust as I was planning, at least not in it's initial stage, but I am still working on changing some stuff that someone else did for me, because it's not quite up to snuff. I'll get in touch w/ you Moots once I am nearing completion. I hope to have something up in November.

Apr 24, 02 at 1:44pm
Moots

well bob, you can always write a "how to cancel nasty noises" note for this FAQ. Plus you've got a fair bit of AV kit, no?

Moots

Apr 23, 02 at 1:36pm
tetstb

Awsome d00d. I'll stick around if I may, I *just* might learn somefin'