Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » The Elder Scrolls Online » Should ESO go F2P or remain P2P » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

The Elder Scrolls Online logo Adoring Fan TESO Dragon Knight TESO Aldmeri Dominion TESO Daggerfall Covenant TESO Ebonheart Pact TESO Nightblade Nightingales Symbol Chorrol Shield Conjuration Symbol Skingrad Shield Leyawiin Shield Kvatch Shield Bravil Shield Cheydinhal Shield Bruma Shield Whiterun Shield Illusion Symbol Oblivion Logo TESO Altmer TESO Argonian TESO Bosmer TESO Breton TESO Dunmer TESO Khajiit TESO Nord TESO Orc TESO Redguard TESO Sorcerer TESO Templar

hideOriginal Post

Jun 02, 14 at 4:56amAscii

As many of you may be aware, the player count in-game is dropping dramatically. That is to be expected with the people who were "just trying the game out" and Wildstar just being released, thus giving them something else to try out. The thing is though, Vet rank zones just aren't as fun as we were promised. If you have an alt char in a different alliance, you basically have to redo the quests in the enemy faction once you reach veteran rank on your other character. That and the grinding needed to rank up just isn't appealing.

This brings me to my main point. If the game was F2P, I would still be hoping on every once in a while to chat with friends and make a little money here and there, but since the subscription fee is around $15 a month depending on how much you buy at one time, I found myself canceling my sub until some more content comes out that I want to try (ie Dark Brotherhood, Thieves' Guild, player housing, crime system, etc.)

So what do you think? Will the game benefit from going F2P? I am thinking the game might go the route of Runescape and offer a restricted F2P experience that is still enjoyable, but will also give plenty of incentive to go P2P for those that want access to the game in its entirety.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 17, 14 at 9:30pm
Rayce

The subscription fee is definitely a different model that I'm not a fan of. I feel like my monetary investment should be made in one push for the content of the game instead of a continual fee. As you mentioned too, when the game is in a slump for new content the fee seems very useless, even arbitrary. If I were to pay a P2P game I'd probably use the same strategy that you use, buying at the high times and staying reserved so long as I get to keep my progress.

I've never actually played a P2P game, but I'd imagine I'd play it similar to how I used to use Netflix; just use it when I feel it would be beneficial (Not going to be using it a whole lot during exam month, for example).

Jul 15, 14 at 12:17pm
Skeletune

I'd prefer F2P. I can't see myself paying for it. But I DO want to play it.

Jul 14, 14 at 6:40pm
eljopa

quote tx3000
I bet you any amount of money that if I got into the game again, and went to PVP I would still not have a clue on how to do PVP
that is a solid bet.

after seeing how you communicate, im not surprised you were offered no actual assistance from players when asking questions. i find other players to be an invaluable source of information, not to mention competency with the internet helps. however, i understand the primary argument here is that you feel developers should embed more hand holding throughout the game, and shouldnt rely on MMO familiarity or the gaming community entirely. i dont disagree completely, but in eso i found the crafting tutorial very helpful; i also liked how, when i ran through it fast on enchanting and alchemy because i wasnt going to be leveling those, i was able to turn the tutorial back on in order to read it again when i decided to do enchanting after all. i have to assume others equally as simpleminded as myself experienced a similar ease with the tutorials... and the game i general.

speaking of PvP specifically, i can understand feeling lost upon your first visit to cyrodiil. i also had to spend a few minutes figuring out how to leave cyrodiil myself. to this day, i feel the traveling mechanics in cyrodiil need some tinkering, but once youve figured it out its not too cumbersome. also, there is a tutorial questline which is easily skipped that i found very useful and explains the basics of PvP and siege warfare...

happy gaming.

Jul 11, 14 at 8:29am
Ascii

quote tx3000
I already said there were more than 4 betas better re-read what I said because I never said there was only 4 betas, I said I was involved in 4 beta's. don't know how /why you took me saying I was involved in 4 betas and decided in your mind to changed it to there were I said there was only 4 beta's.

You're a prime example of why instructions are needed in PVP from the developers and why players such as yourself do not have the mental capacity to even answer anything anyone asks with actual answers, and you know it. It also explains why you seriously think there was a tutorial in PVP. I can see how in your mind you're saying that, but in reality nothing was explained that was really needed in PVP.
Yes, I misunderstood you concerning the betas, but I would advise you cut out with the unnecessary insults. It won't get you anywhere.

(Rolls Eyes) you clearly don't have a clue about what TUTORIAL even means. If you think what you're describing was a tutorial you're ignorant. There was a total of 2 pop up tool tips then nothing else ever came up..I even tried getting those same 2 tool tips to show back up and they didn't.
There was an entire quest, if not multiple quests, to teach you the basics. Once again, less insults. We can have a proper discussion without them. Anyways, sorry you had a rough time learning the ropes. If you decide to get back into it and still can't get the hang of it, feel free to ask us anything.

Thanks.

Jul 11, 14 at 8:08am
tx3000

quote Ascii
There were a lot more betas than 4. They ran them multiple times over the course of more than a year. There was plenty of instruction, but just like in most games, players would raher ask other players than look for the information themselves.
I already said there were more than 4 betas better re-read what I said because I never said there was only 4 betas, I said I was involved in 4 beta's. don't know how /why you took me saying I was involved in 4 betas and decided in your mind to changed it to there were I said there was only 4 beta's.

You're a prime example of why instructions are needed in PVP from the developers and why players such as yourself do not have the mental capacity to even answer anything anyone asks with actual answers, and you know it. It also explains why you seriously think there was a tutorial in PVP. I can see how in your mind you're saying that, but in reality nothing was explained that was really needed in PVP.

Did you know it wasn't until the 4th beta I was in that I found out about crafting from someone mentioning it in chat, and when I asked how did you even know about crafting to and where is it and how to do it, I was met with even more dumb-ass statements. Like it's explained, look at the map, you're dumb, OBVIOUS troll is OBVIOUS..

I actually had to have someone party with me (Which also had to be explained) and come to me and literally lead me to crafting because it's not marked on half the maps and areas I was in because they were in such obscure areas it leads the question why the hell would anyone ever go over here when there is nothing to do.

This is a major problem with the game, the map is incomplete and half the things that should be marked on the map aren't.

Anyway What little there was on crafting what was there wasn't instructions, it was saying to do things without explaining what the hell it was talking about..If I'm told something needs to be done, I better be told exactly every single small little step that leads up to what it's saying to do. Using the excuse of players know what to do or it's clear about what to do and forcing assumptions onto a player isn't instructions. You players better start getting it through your head that if something in a game says here do this, then all the steps on HOW to do that also better be explained as well.

Gamers somehow have it in their dense head that what do do is all that's needed. That's player preference and opinion not facts. If it doesn't have HOW to do it in detailed steps, then it's not explained, and if a developer doesn't include that or does it half assed, then it's not explained and the game has no instructions.

For example, if I ask a question such as who teaches (Insert Skill) I better not see answers of GOOGLE it, or have some jack ass say (A trainer), and If I ask where that trainer is, I don't want to see an answer of "In a Building" then have every player in chat start saying he's trolling, no one can be this stupid, ignore him,. he's been asking for an hour...

But yet players prefer to ask other players...Yeah ok...if you want to be met with ignorance and retards trying to aggravate you to no avail sure.

quote Ascii
There was a tutorial and the Wayshrine at the starting area when you first go into PvP worked in every beta I was involved in.
(Rolls Eyes) you clearly don't have a clue about what TUTORIAL even means. If you think what you're describing was a tutorial you're ignorant. There was a total of 2 pop up tool tips then nothing else ever came up..I even tried getting those same 2 tool tips to show back up and they didn't.
All the tool tips had for information was said to click something and go talk to someone that I couldn't even find because it said for you to find someone without explaining how to find people..STUPID ASS DEVELOPERS pulling shit like that..

There was no TUTORIAL and what was there was so poorly done it was pathetic nothing of any importance was explained and as I said there were only 2 tool tips that came up and then nothing else. As a player you're seriously going to say this entire list isn't important? Nothing on the following list was explained in fact tehre wasn't even any mention of it anywhere that I could find.

There was no fully detailed explanation about the map, how to read the PVP map
Nothing was explained on what represented what
Nothing was explained how to locate anything
Nothing was explained on how to know what you were looking at
Nothing was explained what was going on
Nothing was explained what side you were on if any
Nothing was explained about what exactly you were supposed to be doing
Nothing was explained on how to know where anyone was
Nothing was explained what the numbers on the map meant/represented

On top of that I was reading a bunch of things people saying in PVP chat, there was absolutely no mention of at all such as SCROLLS, King, duties..etc..

The one time I went into PVP it trapped you in, meaning once you entered Cyodiil, you couldn't get back to the main game. Outside of the starting area once I started wandering around, I was in PVP for at least an hour and never saw another player. Didn't even know where anyone was or how to know or anything.

It is a very piss poor game design.

I bet you any amount of money that if I got into the game again, and went to PVP I would still not have a clue on how to do PVP

Jul 11, 14 at 2:39am
Ascii

quote tx3000
I was involved in 4 Beta's and everyone was worse than the previous, punks in chat causing the usual MMO Bullshit, a totally broken mapping system, total and utter lack of instructions (Just because it's an MMO game doesn't give the devs the right to have all this shit in the game, but not even make mention of it, or not go over the complex systems..People shouldn't be spamming the chat with how do I questions, which they shouldn't even have to be asking how to do anything.
There were a lot more betas than 4. They ran them multiple times over the course of more than a year. There was plenty of instruction, but just like in most games, players would raher ask other players than look for the information themselves.

Then there came the horrible PVP, First I got stuck in Cyrodiil (There was no way out of PVP once you were in) the exit simply didn't exist and fast travel wasn't allowed. But the major problem with PVP is I had no idea WTF was going on, what I had to do, where anyone was, how to tell anything about PVP...and all people did was argue saying there was a tutorial when there wasn't So all of these major problems and incomplete aspects this caused me to have to abandon my character and create a new one.
There was a tutorial and the Wayshrine at the starting area when you first go into PvP worked in every beta I was involved in.

Jul 10, 14 at 8:58pm
tx3000

ESO needs to completely cease to exist altogether because it was doomed from the Start and the community has once again totally destroyed the game and nothing is done to them..

So ESO shouldn't even be free..It just needs to be thrown away.

I was involved in 4 Beta's and everyone was worse than the previous, punks in chat causing the usual MMO Bullshit, a totally broken mapping system, total and utter lack of instructions (Just because it's an MMO game doesn't give the devs the right to have all this shit in the game, but not even make mention of it, or not go over the complex systems..People shouldn't be spamming the chat with how do I questions, which they shouldn't even have to be asking how to do anything.

Then there came the horrible PVP, First I got stuck in Cyrodiil (There was no way out of PVP once you were in) the exit simply didn't exist and fast travel wasn't allowed. But the major problem with PVP is I had no idea WTF was going on, what I had to do, where anyone was, how to tell anything about PVP...and all people did was argue saying there was a tutorial when there wasn't So all of these major problems and incomplete aspects this caused me to have to abandon my character and create a new one.

It got to the point where even though I had an invite to more beta's, I didn't want to be subjected to all the bullshit and couldn't take any more that was already going on...I didn't even offer my beta keys up to anyone else because I didn't want anyone else to be subjected to all that crap.

Wildstar is horrible. It's just another knock off of every other type of game like it. It's nothing more than recycled content.

Jun 20, 14 at 8:17am
batsman

Really cant afford to pay the monthly subscription for the very little time ill be able to play it
If it was free, than id most certainly would get it

But right now im just waiting for console versions, and well see at that time

Jun 18, 14 at 6:02pm
eljopa

i dont know of a f2p game that is worth playing. im happy knowing my money is going to support, patches, and content.

Jun 02, 14 at 8:25am
Coi Cki

If ESO dropped the monthly subscription fee, I'd definitely be more inclined to get it, whenever it drops on the PS4. But as it is now, I can't justify shelling out my Euros to get it.