Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII » Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 opening cinematic, Lightning and Snow's complex relationship » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

hideOriginal Post

Sep 24, 13 at 9:47ambluexy

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 opening cinematic, Lightning and Snow's complex relationship

Rory Young - Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:47am (PST) Like Share
I don't even want to begin trying to understand what's happening
 Image 1

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 07, 13 at 4:46pm
SpartanNinja

solx While I will grant that the lack of control for the other party members is a bit irking but if the correct paradigms and barring unusual weirdness they tended to act fairly appropriately.

The other stuff you said is wrong to me though. Some people (you included apparently) trumpet about wanting control over a game but when given control via QTEs during gameplay (such as being grabbed by a zombie, or in the vein of Lost odyssey and even the FFVIII that you claimed to like with the gunblade criticals...), you complain about having that control... Or perhaps the QTEs during cutscenes that give you a modicum of control over a situation that is typically very much out of your control to the point of cutscene, power (or weakness). But when given the power over such scenes as requested you instead complain about that as well.

Contrary to popular belief Summons don't always play a role on the player. I will grant that summons in 12 were lackluster but generally speaking it didn't matter. Your characters were better and there was no point it was required that they fight. Of all the things to detract from FF13 you decide on summons which at the very least actually played a role in the story and more than two mattered since FF10.

I don't know you seem pointlessly mad. For the record I don't mind them and like the cinematics for doing them. Also beats sitting there controlling every little thing while relying on RNG and the enemy to just hit your stationary character.

Oct 06, 13 at 6:57pm
Solx

Advice? Stop trying to make FF into a god damn action game and stop spamming so much QTE. I REFUSE to play any Capcom game, due to the infinite amount of *bleep*ing QTE. 13-2 was nothing but QTE.

More control than any other FF before?!?!?!?!?!?! WTF?
Things I CAN NOT control:
2nd & 3rd characters.
Summons (Hated this also in 12)
Any Character movement (12 had this wtf not in 13?)

Things I CAN control:
1st Character.

I seem to remember in every ff before 13, you controlled ALL 3 Characters and Summons (besides 12, *bleep* the AI)

I did not pay $60 for the Matrix to play 75% of my game.

I can take a meh story with lackluster characters if the battle mechanics are not full retard, but shit the battles were so boring.

Would you play a shooter that all you did was pull the trigger? The AI would move for you, it would select which weapon you used, any power ups/killstreaks (which you could not control), and it pick the game mode for you. Would you play this?

I loved 12, but hated the Summons system and the stupid slot reels Limit Breakers.

Whatever, make the game vegetable friendly i am done with the series forever..... unless there is a FF7/8/10 remake then i return.

Oct 06, 13 at 5:51pm
SpartanNinja

Half of the 'fans' don't even know what they want from Final Fantasy anymore. For instance people dont like FFXII and by the by that's probably one of the best games that has come out of Final Fantasy.

People say they hate this series battling cause it seemingly does everything for you... This game lets you do more in battle than almost every other. Up to six action per character. They get hung on the auto-battle which only really useful if you have the right paradigms set up and generally still only on weaker creatures which in any other FF you would just mash good ole regular attack anyway.

people say they hate lightning because she is emotionally, well, nothing. Yet if I recall Both Cloud and Squall were too initially. In fact when they changed that with Zidane and Tidus people *bleep*ing hated those characters... initially.

So much hating and not any advice on fixing it. At least none that aren't tinged in sarcasm.

Oct 06, 13 at 11:53am
Solx

Will it be compatable with Kinect? So you can just stand there as the game does not need you......

Sep 30, 13 at 7:07am
Boo

I'm not looking forward to this game for Lightning. I'm far more interested in Snow. How *bleep*ed up he is now he's been a widower (yes he wasn't married but he doted on that girl) for centuries.
This dynamic between Snow and Lightning is really interesting, they had that bond by the end of XIII where they'd grown to actually stand side by side, and then XIII-2 what little 'interaction' they had together was showing how in tune they were with each other and the trust they had in each other.
Now, 500 years or so later, everything's messed up! And the Snow that wouldn't lay a hand on Lightning despite her punching him repeatedly is long gone.
It's so sad
and so angsty
and I'm excited for the game so I don't care
also it's Troy Baker I love him

Sep 27, 13 at 6:26am
Solx

quote DedValve
I honestly don't get what the big deal is Solx . you keep telling me that this will be the final fantasy that redeems square enix and how lightning is such a deep and interesting and complex character that haters can't understand but imo it just looks like the same shit =/

Then again I'm not a big lightning fan like you so *shrugs*
I will *bleep*ing devour your soul.........

Sep 26, 13 at 3:01pm
kuje

Mine just happens to be XII

Sep 26, 13 at 2:24pm
Corruption

I think one of the problems with thinking of Lightning as XIII's main character (mostly Square Enix, just by virtue of making three games about her) is that...she isn't. I've always viewed the XIII cast as an ensemble cast similar to VI, except VI did it well. Not to say XIII's cast isn't great, the characters and their relationships with one another are probably the strongest part of the game, but VI did it better. If I had to guess, it's because developing characters can cost a lot of money in a game like XIII where everything is voice acted. Not really sure how much hiring actors costs, but I imagine it isn't cheap.

I wouldn't say Lightning is 'dead inside', though. You're thinking of everything XII character not named Balthier or Ashe.

If Square Enix could only combine the great qualities of XII (combat, exploration and a huge world) with the great things about XIII (characters actually having personality and relationships with one another), we'd have another IV. Or VI. Or VII. Or X. Or...whatever your favorite game in the series happens to be.

Sep 26, 13 at 1:37pm
kuje

Lol Lightning, deep and complex character? Lightning has no character she's dead inside. Not once have I identified with her in any situation. This is why I preferred XIII-2 to the original, because we got to see very little of her.

Sep 26, 13 at 1:29pm
DedValve

I honestly don't get what the big deal is Solx . you keep telling me that this will be the final fantasy that redeems square enix and how lightning is such a deep and interesting and complex character that haters can't understand but imo it just looks like the same shit =/

Then again I'm not a big lightning fan like you so *shrugs*