Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » A Song of Ice and Fire series (George R. R. Martin) » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 07, 03 at 3:45amCrocodylus

If you like action, adventure, romance, mystery, medieval mayhem and a smidgen of the supernatural, this series is for you. I swear to god, these are the best books I've read since Lord of the Rings, and I find them more fun to read than Harry Potter (though Harry Potter is more for the younger sort than this series).

If you've ever read a novel before, than these are a MUST READ. If you read this thread and neglect to at least check out this series on your next trip to the bookstore, then I swear I'll use what knowledge of black-magic I have to curse you...

Anyways, they're great. I wish I could talk to more people on Neo about them, but I don't know anyone whose read them, so I'm trying to GET people to read them.

Details: Author is George R.R. Martin, series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, first book is called A Game of Thrones, and you can find the rest out from there.

Imagine a feudal kingdom on a massive continent in a world filled with many cultures and half-legendary lands and an ancient history. Imagine a time where dragons once lived but magic is now dwindling, yet the seasons can be long or short, bringing glorious summers or terrible winters that last years at a time. Imagine a massive iron throne from which seven kingdoms are ruled, with false knights and true all gathered about it in hopes of blood or glory or profit, and shadows behind it pushing the pieces that make up the game of thrones.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 30, 14 at 5:45pm
Chris

I'm really enjoying ASOS: Blood and Gold. It's really been hard to put down so far because there is so much happening everywhere. Won't be long until I've caught up to the latest goings on in Season 4 of the show.

Apr 19, 14 at 8:16am
Praetorian_Lord

Dragoon only speaking for myself here but it's more to do with Martin's obsession with introducing new characters and subplots before he bothers tying up existing ones. So much is going on in so many different places that it's boring trying to keep track of it all. It was fine while everyone was still mostly on the same continent for God's sake, but now Arya's off in Braavos doing little of consequence, Daenerys has been doing sweet *bleep* all out east for like six books now, the twenty different Greyjoys are all in different places doing who gives a shit... it feels like a hodgepodge of loosely connected stories rather than one grand plot like the earlier books. Not to mention the killing off of major characters throughout the series has likewise killed off the majority of the political intrigue (making Cersei's chapters, for instance, especially dull).

To each their own but, as above, I think Martin's bitten off far more than he can chew. I don't know if he gets bored with particular storylines or flat out forgets about them, but I'm hugely sceptical that he can tie it all back together in a way that's going to be even remotely satisfying That's if it ever gets finished. Would be delighted to be proven wrong, but I don't see it.

Apr 19, 14 at 5:29am
Dragoon

2/3 of the way through ADWD and I don't get why peopel don't like this book. There is so much development of the plot so far that at times I'm having trouble with keeping up with what happened previously when we pick up a character 50-60 pages down the line. The revelations so far have been amazing and, granted, there is a significant lack of any action in the book I think it's a welcome break. FfC and ADWD happen simultaneously so of course if there is lack of any discussion of a battle in FfC chances are it won't happen in ADWD, at least until the final part of the book where the books rejoin. But I don't read these books for the action, I read them because the plot and the characters are incredibly interesting, and finding out what happens gets me as pumped as any awesome action does.

Mar 10, 14 at 8:58am
stezner

quote Crocodylus
If you like action, adventure, romance, mystery, medieval mayhem and a smidgen of the supernatural, this series is for you. I swear to god, these are the best books I've read since Lord of the Rings, and I find them more fun to read than Harry Potter (though Harry Potter is more for the younger sort than this series).

If you've ever read a novel before, than these are a MUST READ. If you read this thread and neglect to at least check out this series on your next trip to the bookstore, then I swear I'll use what knowledge of black-magic I have to curse you...

Anyways, they're great. I wish I could talk to more people on Neo about them, but I don't know anyone whose read them, so I'm trying to GET people to read them.

Details: Author is George R.R. Martin, series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, first book is called A Game of Thrones, and you can find the rest out from there.

Imagine a feudal kingdom on a massive continent in a world filled with many cultures and half-legendary lands and an ancient history. Imagine a time where dragons once lived but magic is now dwindling, yet the seasons can be long or short, bringing glorious summers or terrible winters that last years at a time. Imagine a massive iron throne from which seven kingdoms are ruled, with false knights and true all gathered about it in hopes of blood or glory or profit, and shadows behind it pushing the pieces that make up the game of thrones.

thank for share,,, i want try to read this book...

Dec 17, 13 at 5:48pm
Praetorian_Lord

BANDITO ATTACK yeah, I thought the last two really lacked the quality of the first few. I found the characters beginning to become caricatures of themselves, as if Martin listened too closely on which characters fans liked and what they liked about them most, and then made them do nothing but that. Tyrion and Dolorous Edd were the worst examples - they had a cutting or sarcastic remark every so often in the first few novels and every single one was gold. In DwD in particular, it extends to every single thing they say.

I honestly wonder if the whole thing has become too complicated for Martin and he's not too sure where the hell he's going with it. So many new characters introduced that no-one gives a shit about. Winds of Winter will have to be an absolute masterpiece for the series to have any chance of tying up every loose end in the final two books, and having read some of his comments it sounds like needing to finish the series has become a bit of a chore for him. He's 65 - I honestly doubt he'll ever get it finished.

Dec 17, 13 at 5:06am
BANDITO ATTACK

dance with dragons is boring as *bleep* to the point where i completely put it down around 320 pages in. that was more than a year ago. a third of the way into that *bleep*ing tome with no excitement, intrigue, action, or anything even remotely interesting. bilbo walked his happy ass all the way to the lonely mountain and back in 300 pages, something cool should have happened by then in dance. the previous installments were often slow as well, but it feels like he just hit the brakes on this one. it crosses the line between "slow" and "disengaging" . yeah, i know, something cool probably happens eventually at some point, but it's hard to get that far when i'm not compelled to turn the page.

the first 3 were excellent, feast was kinda blah when brienne wasn't battling goons (though this was my favorite thing in the series thus far), but dance made reading a chore. i feel like he needs to start cutting the fat.

Dec 15, 13 at 10:59pm
The Kingslayer

The easiest read I have ever had, just love these books so, so much. I regularly find myself sitting down and reading massive blocks just because I can't put it down!

Feb 26, 13 at 11:18pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote Praetorian_Lord
I just google image search them Mouldy Cheese if I want a face to put with the name. Best of both worlds!
Ha that's true! The first series is really quite wonderful though. I'd recommend giving it a try once you've finished the book; if nothing else but to see what you think of the adaptation!

Feb 26, 13 at 4:55pm
Praetorian_Lord

I just google image search them Mouldy Cheese if I want a face to put with the name. Best of both worlds!

Feb 26, 13 at 4:48pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote MaChaoTheSplendid
I always quite liked them too. I'm not sure how important they'll be later on, or which way they'll swing tbh. I really liked the Viper and Doran. Quentyn.. not so much.

I wanted to know more about Dark Star too, though there's always the chance he'll pop back up later on.
Hopefully! I'd really like to see them play a larger part as they're really quite different to the rest of the seven kingdoms. Particularly loved the idea of the Water Gardens.