Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » The World Ends with You » Suggestion-based RP Thread » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jul 19, 13 at 9:45amRadtheCad

=Greetings, fellow Forumgoers!=

I have had an idea- well, I've stolen an idea I've seen used on the Dwarf Fortress Forums. The idea is as follows;

The thread author creates a situation, Dn'D game master style (with some, admittedly loose, rules borrowed from said RPG) and a character. They then insert the character into the situation. (hehe, insert.)

The people who reply to the thread then play the role of what are effectively voices in the character's head; they suggest what the character should do next in order to achieve the plot's goals. The author then takes what they've decided on doing and runs it through the Dn'D system (read: has the world react to the character's, and by extension, the Forumgoers' actions, with the success (or lack thereof) of the character's efforts relying partly on chance and partly on using the character's inherent abilities as well as possible. Dice and stats, people!)
They then tell the audience what happened. Repeat!

The whole thing is presented as a 1rst or 3rd person story, and therefore requires some basic writing skills- something I may or may not lack. However, I think I could write well enough to spin an at least entertaining tale.

When this works, it gives you a story where the readers have a direct and immediate say in what actually happens- primarily through near total control over the protagonist's behaviour. Thanks to the robustness of the Dn'D system and human imagination, practically any course of action can be supported.

Anyway, to get to the point- I'm wondering whether anyone would be interested in having this on this forum, as I feel we could easily transplant it to a TWEWY- style Reapers' Game- the main character could, for example, be a player. Or a reaper like Sho, trying to take over the UG. They would certainly act crazily enough.

I'll make a thread about this if enough people are interested, and slink back to the shadows if nobody is. I hope it interests at least some of you, and could get some more people back into activity, but with the current state of the forum... well. I don't know what'll happen-that's why I'm writing this, after all.

TL;DR: Thread where I write a low quality TWEWY-based story; the majority controls the actions of the main character; Dungeons and Dragons-esque systems to keep things fair and challenging; do want, meh, or do not want?

Best wishes,
RadtheCad

EDIT: So, I've decided to go ahead with this. I'll just use this thread, as it's already here. See later posts by me for more info!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 24, 13 at 1:05am
RadtheCad

Very well! I'll get this trial run started, then. First, a few explanations and some preparations:

Well, that was an infodump.

Now- Stats! Yay! (D:)
You can mostly just ignore this stuff in-game. All you decide now is how good your character will naturally be at certain stuff.

You have 27 points to put in to your stats. All stats start at 7 (incompetent.) The normal human average is 10.

You can choose which stats to level up. Anything above ten will be an advantage, anything below a disadvantage to trying to do stuff in that category. Choose your stats!

For anyone who plays D&D: Yes, I lifted this all pretty much wholesale.

You don't need to understand any intricacies of the system to level up this stuff;
just go with what seems useful. I hope it's relatively intuitive.
A completely balanced character will do everything just as well as anything else, but will be more boring. You could be like Neku and neglect your charisma for imagination, etc...

To clarify: you post your suggestions on what to do, and discuss between yourselves if you disagree.
The game proper starts next post. This is the first and last time I'll dump all these numbers on you, I promise.

Oh, one last thing-

What do you value most?

Jul 23, 13 at 1:00am
MaxAxil

Third person would be nice, but 1st person is alright too.

Jul 22, 13 at 7:27am
mooglegirl3

1st person might make it funnier if and when we start submitting silly commands.

Jul 21, 13 at 9:08am
RadtheCad

... I never thought of it like that. Yeah, that about sums it up, just minus the pictures.
...then again, we do have a bunch of spriters around here, so a big(ger) screen version may not be out of the question.
SUGGESTION-BASED ADVENTURE THREAD: THE COMIC THE FILM THE GAME 2
(electric boogaloo)
Just another question- would you guys rather it were written in the 1st or the 3rd person?
I'm glad the response appears to be positive so far. Looks like this may actually be feasible.

Jul 21, 13 at 7:20am
mooglegirl3

So, basically, an MSPA fanventure, except TWEWY?

Sounds cool. :3

Jul 21, 13 at 4:40am
RadtheCad

There would only be one main character, whose brain you would inhabit- the repliers collectively control a single person in the story. Who this character would be, I don't know yet, but other characters (who would function without your input) could be named after/based off of characters from the forum, if you so desire.

Jul 21, 13 at 3:37am
MaxAxil

Seems like a good idea. Do we get to use our own characters?

Jul 20, 13 at 9:43pm
Rabla

I'd be up for you doing a run as a trial for how active it is. Sounds fun.

Jul 19, 13 at 9:45am
RadtheCad

=Greetings, fellow Forumgoers!=

I have had an idea- well, I've stolen an idea I've seen used on the Dwarf Fortress Forums. The idea is as follows;

The thread author creates a situation, Dn'D game master style (with some, admittedly loose, rules borrowed from said RPG) and a character. They then insert the character into the situation. (hehe, insert.)

The people who reply to the thread then play the role of what are effectively voices in the character's head; they suggest what the character should do next in order to achieve the plot's goals. The author then takes what they've decided on doing and runs it through the Dn'D system (read: has the world react to the character's, and by extension, the Forumgoers' actions, with the success (or lack thereof) of the character's efforts relying partly on chance and partly on using the character's inherent abilities as well as possible. Dice and stats, people!)
They then tell the audience what happened. Repeat!

The whole thing is presented as a 1rst or 3rd person story, and therefore requires some basic writing skills- something I may or may not lack. However, I think I could write well enough to spin an at least entertaining tale.

When this works, it gives you a story where the readers have a direct and immediate say in what actually happens- primarily through near total control over the protagonist's behaviour. Thanks to the robustness of the Dn'D system and human imagination, practically any course of action can be supported.

Anyway, to get to the point- I'm wondering whether anyone would be interested in having this on this forum, as I feel we could easily transplant it to a TWEWY- style Reapers' Game- the main character could, for example, be a player. Or a reaper like Sho, trying to take over the UG. They would certainly act crazily enough.

I'll make a thread about this if enough people are interested, and slink back to the shadows if nobody is. I hope it interests at least some of you, and could get some more people back into activity, but with the current state of the forum... well. I don't know what'll happen-that's why I'm writing this, after all.

TL;DR: Thread where I write a low quality TWEWY-based story; the majority controls the actions of the main character; Dungeons and Dragons-esque systems to keep things fair and challenging; do want, meh, or do not want?

Best wishes,
RadtheCad

EDIT: So, I've decided to go ahead with this. I'll just use this thread, as it's already here. See later posts by me for more info!