Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic » How did you become a brony?? » Post Reply

Toggle Ponytars: ON | OFF

Note to Guests: Welcome! Have you taken a second to read the forum Guidelines first yet? Please do so!Announcement: The Guidelines have been updated for clarification as to what is and isn't acceptable, particularly in regards to pictures and video.

hideOriginal Post

Apr 17, 13 at 2:31pm

On May 29th, 2012, my 8th grade school year had just ended. I played StarCraft 2 all the time, and I happened to stumble upon this video on YouTube while watching StarCraft videos.

I had seen My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on TV before, but I thought it was stupid and flipped the channel right away. I had never heard of a "brony" before.

But when I saw this video, it sparked an interest in MLP:FiM, and I watched an episode (Party of One). I loved it, and watched several more episodes over the next few days. By then I was a full-fledged brony.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 17, 15 at 12:22am
pachiri-soo

I don't even know. Curiosity got better of me.
So I ended up just watching the whole show and fell in love with fluttershy haha cx

Jun 12, 15 at 5:57pm
TwilightApple20

quote Stitch
quote TwilightApple20
I then asked myself what I was doing since I hated it a ton at the time and thought only "nerd losers" watched it. But as I gradually watched ever episode after that, I found that it began to grow on me exponentially.
Awesome to hear how it kinda changed your mind.
There's plenty of people out there that that kinda pass judgement on the show or it's fan-base without delving deeper into it.

The show is kinda unique in it's way, though.
Especially for it being My Little Pony, which has been around since the 80's or so, only for it to become something much larger 5 years ago, all thanks to some tweaking with the character's personality, their designs, the story, and some decent voice actors.
And of course; pop culture references, one of them is a reference to The Big Lebowski, which isn't exactly a movie little girls would be watching, giving the believe this show is aimed for a little girls audience.
Although, they aimed for a broader audience with FIM, that's for certain, taking it to the level of Cartoon Network style of cartoons, and it made a whole lot of difference.

And there are not many shows I recall that would have such a big fan-base set up that even has their own official version of an annual Comic-Con style of event being held for it, all in a short time period.
That alone is amazing.
I'm glad to be a part of it, and still am.
I love being a part of it! I've not yet attended a Con, but I did fill out a form to volunteer at one that's held right here in my hometown! As for the pop culture references? I've caught on to a few that I instantly recognized from seeing them in my childhood!

Jun 08, 15 at 3:16pm
morningSTAR1337

Okay I feel this story needs to go back several links for me to adequately explain how I became a brony because I feel i should also explain what introduced me to the thing that introduced me to ponies.

Once upon a time I got a Nintendo DS and managed to play some Pokemon games. I liked them to this day and cheeked out a tumblr for Pokemon Creepypasta. Eventually I checked out some fanfiction for Pokemon, figuring that the simplistic plot would allow some decent stories. I was not disappointed.

One such fanfic was a crossover between Doctor Who and Pokemon (I think it was the Gen V games), with the specific era being the with Doctor. Figured I'd try the show and predictably I was hooked.

Now what does this do with ponies? for for Pokemon absolutely nothing, but the creepypasta tumblr introduced me to TV tropes and from there and the KYM page I noticed that Doctor Who was a common crossover target form ponies due to a certain background pony bearing a resemblance to the 10th doctor. Eventually as a result of these 3 factors I decided to try out the show in the hiatus between the first 2 seasons. The first episode I watched was "Sonic Rainboom" and well. I can say I was hooked, to my surpsise since I just found it "meh" at best before actually watching the show

Jun 08, 15 at 3:04pm
Stitch

quote TwilightApple20
I then asked myself what I was doing since I hated it a ton at the time and thought only "nerd losers" watched it. But as I gradually watched ever episode after that, I found that it began to grow on me exponentially.
Awesome to hear how it kinda changed your mind.
There's plenty of people out there that that kinda pass judgement on the show or it's fan-base without delving deeper into it.

The show is kinda unique in it's way, though.
Especially for it being My Little Pony, which has been around since the 80's or so, only for it to become somehting much larger 5 years ago, all thanks to some tweaking with the character's personality, their designs, the story, and some decent voice actors.
And ofcourse; pop culture references, one of them is a reference to The Big Lebowski, which isn't exactly a movie little girls would be watching, giving the believe this show is aimed for a little girls audience.
Although, they aimed for a broader audience with FIM, that's for certain, taking it to the level of Cartoon Network style of cartoons, and it made a whole lot of difference.

And there are not many shows I recall that would have such a big fan-base setted up that even has their own official version of an anual Comic-Con style of event being held for it, all in a short time period.
That alone is amazing.
I'm glad to be a part of it, and still am.

Jun 07, 15 at 6:46pm
TwilightApple20

I was part of a chat group, and there was this one person into MLP, and told them it was a "shitty, dumb" show; Two weeks later, I made a new friend, and they mentioned it briefly, so I went home that Thursday afternoon after meeting them, with the "Hmmm... I should probably start from the beginning... Then I'll pass my final judgement/review of it." Watched episode 1 of season 1 (This was over a year or so ago, maybe even 2? I can't recall.), and I found out that it wasn't as bad as I thought it first was. I then asked myself what I was doing since I hated it a ton at the time and thought only "nerd losers" watched it. But as I gradually watched ever episode after that, I found that it began to grow on me exponentially. I was basically moving on from the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase, too.

...And I didn't look back.

Feb 14, 15 at 9:57am
Dragonmaiden

Err, my sis found some fanbase on G+ and started watching it........I admit,I was a bit of a hater until my little sibs joined in...

I'm not a BIG fan, I've only watched...uh...all of them.

Jan 22, 15 at 1:48pm
Ulrik

In autumn 2011 after buying The Ticket Master DVD.

Dec 31, 14 at 1:23pm
hiigaran

i like how the apparent mindset is that its the only show we watch.

Dec 31, 14 at 11:35am
Kingy

quote Shadow of Death
But yeah, some people hate things like this because the idea of guys liking 'girly' stuff makes them uncomfortable.
It's because we're going against the norms of society. I'm still trying to figure out why it's wrong for an adult male to enjoy a kid's cartoon. Were we not all once kids?

I wasn't aware liking a show defined someone's character.

Dec 30, 14 at 3:12pm
Rainbow Dash AX

I forgot what animation it was, but that animation got me hooked with it when I first saw it. The show was the icing on the cake. Rainbow Dash probably the sole reason why I stayed glued to the series 'til this point.