Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » You're My Q1-derwall » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Apr 10, 13 at 2:26pmorion chuzzlewitt

...I don't even like Oasis. Anyways, it's past time for another quarterly review of the sounds we've been dumping into our ears of late, in the process making a handy reference point come awards season.

Feel free to expand on the categories listed.

Credit to the The Dave for the OP layout.

---------------------------------------
TOP TRACKS (in no order)

Get U Home - Tuxedo
Cake – Toro Y Moi
Designer Drug – Mayer Hawthorne
Platinum Blonde - Lockah
Suit & Tie (Remix) – Two Inch Punch
IFHY – Tyler, The Creator (Feat. Pharrell)
White Noise (Remix) – Hudson Mohawke
Impossible – Rochelle Jordan
Let the Groove Get In – Justin Timberlake

--------------------------
FAVOURITE RELEASE

The Tuxedo EP – Tuxedo

Mayer Hawthorne & Jake One laying down some soulid (see what I did there) gold for a quarter-hour of power. Here’s hoping a long-play of some description is in the works.

-----------------
MOST DISAPPOINTING RELEASE
-----------------

Albums in general. Justin, Tyler, Toro and Kavinsky had a decent stab but no fireworks in 2013 for me yet (I’ll see if I can convert myself to James Blake tomorrow).

-----------------
BEST VIDEO
-----------------

-----------------
BEST NEWS
-----------------
  • ATCQ at Wireless: another one off the bucket list. JT, Nas, Jessie Ware and Katy B on the same day is also most welcome.
  • R.A.P. Music – Part Deux
-------------------
WORST NEWS
-------------------
  • ?

-------------
BEST GIG
-------------

The Weeknd at the Electric Ballroom. Only one I’ve been to this year so far but I won’t forget it in a hurry.

------------------------------------------
MOST ANTICIPATED Q2 MUSIC

R.A.P. Muzak 2? T.I.P.’s debut? PeaSwain? Cudder? I’m a bit clueless tbh. Daft Punk as well I suppose.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 13, 13 at 4:15pm
Wilhelm Ryan

Bwahah, epic title.

I've been neglecting new music so far this year. Aside from a few albums that I listened to that I was eagerly anticipating, I haven't done too much listening. I'll get my list up soon enough, probably.

Apr 13, 13 at 6:22am
Bollo

I always feel shit looking through people's lists because it reminds me how little I've listened to this year. Barely picked up anything apart from big releases.

TOP TRACKS (in no order)

purposely just picking one track per artist

Bad Habit - Foals
San Francisco - Foxygen
Mirrors - Justin Timberlake
Sacrilege - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Welcome To Japan - The Strokes
Wraith - Peace
You & I - Local Natives
Recover - CHVRCHES
Dropla - Youth Lagoon
Jessica - Major Lazer ft. Ezra Koenig

FAVOURITE RELEASE

Probably have to be Holy Fire - Foals, nothing else has come particularly close for me, I absolutely adore this album. Honourable mentions for Youth Lagoon and Foxygen.

-----------------
-----------------

Hmmm, purely because of how much I love their first two albums, I didn't hate this album but it just didn't get the same reaction from me - ANNA - The Courteeners. Not an album but I was really disappointed with Haim's new single, loved Forever and Don't Save Me but this one is doing nothing for me.

-----------------
BEST NEWS
-----------------

- Glastonbury line up more than passable! Plenty of acts I've never seen before who I really want to see, Vampire Weekend, Foals, Smashing Pumpkins, Tame Impala, Alabama Shakes and Jessie Ware in particular. Plus that Sunday night xx show has me dreamy-eyed every time I think of it.

- Beach House at Benicassim! Was considering not going to Benicassim and going to Latitude instead based on the fact that one had Beach House, and the other didn't. Very very happy with this news. Plus Queens of the Stone Age, Woodkid and CHVRCHES all announced, more acts I've wanted to see for a while.

-------------------
WORST NEWS
-------------------

- Leeds festival line up. There's enough to make me still want to go, but that's mainly because all my friends will be going as well. Respect them giving Biffy Clyro the boost even though they're not my thing, but 2 massively past it headliners, Eminem is the massive draw, I get that, but why have him and Green Day on the same bill, just silly for me, should have picked Blur or someone, bit more variety. In fact looking at the line up now I'm not sure why I want to go, Phoenix aside I'll have seen everyone I want to see.

- Chase & Status suddenly being worthy of Other Stage headliner at Glastonbury, and subbing Eminem at Leeds. This shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

-------------
BEST GIG
-------------

Only been to two but I thoroughly enjoyed Peace at the NME tour.

That Daft Punk album sounds amazing. No idea what else is coming out in all honesty, but I know Arctic Monkeys, Haim, CHVRCHES and Laura Marling all have stuff out at some point this year, so here's hoping.

Apr 12, 13 at 4:50pm
Icedevil

It's coming out at the end of May. So at the start of June I'll be just spoilt for choice. Yeah I have been listening to the new Knife all week now, just throwing it in the mix to be current.

Apr 12, 13 at 3:53pm
EricF

quote Icedevil
Kylesa, Daft Punk, The Knife, (someone mentioned) Warpaint, QOTSA, Sigur Rós, Portugal. The Man...
When's Kylesa's new album out? I listened to Static Tensions ages ago but only recently realised how damn good it is, so I'm looking forward to that.

The Knife album is out there too btw.

Apr 12, 13 at 12:07pm
Icedevil

TOP TRACKS

My Bloody Valentine - She Found Now
Cult of Luna - Vicarious Redemption
James Blake - Retrograde
Kylesa - Unspoken
Foals - Inhaler
Midcity - Loud
Sigur Rós - Brennisteinn
Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends

FAVOURITE RELEASES

Paysage d'Hiver - Dar Tor
Midcity - Clipping
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
Cult of Luna - Vertikal
My Bloody Valentine - m b v

-----------------
-----------------

Oh dear what the *bleep*ing god is the new Biffy Clyro album. I swear it was written for/by some pre-pubescent teenage girls. What's worse is that I *bleep*ing hear it everywhere. Tasteless and bland generic shit, gone are the elements of witty lyrics, and some musical identity from their post hardcore roots.

-----------------
BEST VIDEO
-----------------

-----------------
BEST NEWS
-----------------

That new QOTSA track sounds great, I was afraid they are going to pull Era Vulgaris bs on me again, my heart wouldn't have taken it.

-------------------
WORST NEWS
-------------------

Missed a few good gigs due to being busy with work.

Kylesa, Daft Punk, The Knife, (someone mentioned) Warpaint, QOTSA, Sigur Rós, Portugal. The Man...

Apr 12, 13 at 9:04am
Lukas

quote Mocking Alvin
I'm sure i hit out with this around about this time every year but i've listened to very little new music this year.
Join the club. I've only listened to maybe 4 albums so far.

for reference for all you really cool guys:

Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell (8/10)
Manilla Road - Mysterium (6.5/10)
Stratovarius - Nemesis (7/10)
Voivod - Target Earth (8/10)

Apr 11, 13 at 3:28pm
Mocking Alvin

I'm sure i hit out with this around about this time every year but i've listened to very little new music this year.

I like the 20/20 Experience very much, and also Holy Fire. Made To Stray by Mount Kimbie is a solid track, makes me excited for their new album out end of may. Daft Punk, too. IFHY is a cool video.

Got so much to catch up on. I've been sleeping on Tuxedo in particular.

Apr 11, 13 at 2:45pm
Zeta

quote Matty
quote Zeta
Christopher Owens' debut solo album Lysandre was horrid, and definitely not worth the dissolution of Girls. Such a tragedy.
Ha I actually completely wiped Lysandre from my memory after trying it out... That really was woeful!
I literally hate everything about this album, from the cover artwork to "Lysandre's Theme" that weaves its way through nearly every song, if I remember correctly. So cheesy and such a cheap effect for what he was going for. :[

Apr 11, 13 at 2:40pm
Matty

quote Zeta
Christopher Owens' debut solo album Lysandre was horrid, and definitely not worth the dissolution of Girls. Such a tragedy.
Ha I actually completely wiped Lysandre from my memory after trying it out... That really was woeful!

Apr 11, 13 at 2:25pm
Zeta

TOP TRACKS (in no order)

Pusher Love Girl - Justin Timberlake
Rusty - Tyler, The Creator feat. Domo Genesis and Earl Sweatshirt
Whoa – Earl Sweatshirt
No Destruction – Foxygen
Full of Fire - The Knife
Demon to Lean on - Wavves
Entertainment – Phoenix
Retrograde – James Blake
Satan Made a Mansion – Coma Cinema
Step – Vampire Weekend

FAVOURITE RELEASE

We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic – Foxygen

Such a relaxed, chill album from a band that has really been blowing up this year. A perfect Summer album.

-----------------
-----------------

-----------------
BEST VIDEO
-----------------

-----------------
BEST NEWS
-----------------

Daft Punk's new album. Also, this video of Earl Sweatshirt and Fly Lo:

-------------------
WORST NEWS
-------------------

nothin

-------------
BEST GIG
-------------

Haven't been to any this year.

Daft Punk, Vampire Weekend, Earl Sweatshirt, (hopefully) Warpaint and DFA 1979, Coma Cinema, She & Him, and even more...